Robert Smith vs. GM Chang

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Robert Smith vs. GM Chang

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 pm

nianfong wrote:you guys getting lost in each other's eyes?

lol.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not that way inclined. ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:22 pm

hahaha just "go fishing" together and get it over with already ;D
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Bill on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:38 am

Is Robert Smith still alive and kicking ? If he is, then can someone email him and ask him directly about this ?
Last edited by Bill on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 am

Mr. Smith replied to every letter I've ever sent him. He's likely to reply to yours as well. You can send it in care of his publisher and they'll forward it.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:21 pm

That's good.
In that case John Wang should take it up with him directly, instead of attacking Smith here this forum.
Last edited by Bill on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:48 am

Big surprise that the shit slinging was not well researched prior! One would think one would read the actual text one is talking about!
Ahhhhhhhh, the Chinese martial arts.

Jake
JAB

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 pm

That's something that has always puzzled me: Is it that hard to do a bit of research before stating an opinion about some historical fact?. Or at least to check twice before giving an opinion?.

This thread got very far and the matter would have been solved by going to the book and checking out.
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby qiphlow on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:54 pm

true, but the thread would have also been far less entertaining.
:D
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Felipe Bidó wrote:That's something that has always puzzled me: Is it that hard to do a bit of research before stating an opinion about some historical fact?. Or at least to check twice before giving an opinion?.

This thread got very far and the matter would have been solved by going to the book and checking out.

Easy for you to say now, Mr. Bido, but let us not forget what you said in 1987: "Reasearch is for sissies, I ain't never gonna research nothin'!"

I remember it very clearly, since I was there (you didn't see me, I was hiding behind a tree). I swear it's the truth....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:02 pm

SNIP
That's something that has always puzzled me: Is it that hard to do a bit of research before stating an opinion about some historical fact?. Or at least to check twice before giving an opinion?.

SNIP

Erm, yes, I did that on the first page of the thread....

I am equally mystified by those who claim that Smith dissed Draeger. I have read Smith's comments on Draeger in "Martial Musings" and it is clear that he had tremendous respect for him. Yes, he does criticize Draeger's writing style, but read Draeger's stuff and it is difficult not to agree: it is flat and semi-academic in style. (Which is not to say that it does not contain useful info)

As for whether or not one should read Smith:
As a stylist, he is the best writer on Asian martial arts that I am aware of. Period. (Some like David Lowry, but I have always felt his cross-cultural frames of reference were narrow compared to Smith, and Smith maintains a critical eye, wherewas Lowry has a tendency to write in reverential terms. But to each his own.) Moreover, he studied with many of the greats when the Western world barely knew what CMA were, and approached this material from a strong background in Japanese and Western MA. I'd recommend "Masters and Methods" to anyone, along with his early books on HsingI and Bagua, though "Martial Musings" is, as noted above, uneven (but still entertaining and informative).

I would also recommend "John F Gilbey's" "Secret Fighting Arts of the World" for a bit of fun, too. (JFG was Smith's nomme de plume when he was feeling mischievous.)

Jess:

Given Smith's longevity, his experiences, his published works, who his teachers were and his long, long years in CMA and IMA - why did you not interview him for your work, if you don't mind my asking?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:50 am

I never got out to N Carolina, and he doesn't travel much. Would have loved to interview him, that would have been a real highlight. In a way though he pretty much covered what he wanted to in Martial Musings, so I'm not sure how much I could get out of him anyways. I had over 150 people on my list to interview, and still never got to meet most of them.

Anyone out by Mr. Smith should give it a shot though, and publish it in a mag or on the net. Would love to hear more about his experiences in 1950's Taiwan.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:55 am

Wonder is Mr Smith knows of any other western people who started a serious study of CMA in the 50's?

Must have been some other people...
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Is Robert Smith really 198cm (6-foot-6)? I kind of doubt it.

In Taiwan, I read an article written by Wang Shu-Jin's student who said that Smith was a "world heavyweight boxing champion who couldn't budge Wang with his powerful punches."

With every re-telling of the stories, Robert Smith seems to get bigger, heavier, and tougher.......
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby edededed on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Ha ha... That may be true... There is a limit, though (probably about 6'6", actually, which is sort of about the limit for big Caucasians in general - 7' and you have an overly-obvious tall tale).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:10 am

I don't think Smith was that big. In pics he always looks around average height. Now Draeger's friend John Bluming on the other hand... he was a big dude...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That