Robert Smith vs. GM Chang

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Robert Smith vs. GM Chang

Postby JessOBrien on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:09 am

CJW, the story is in reference to the meeting between Wang Shu-Jin and Jack Dempsey, not Robert Smith.

The story is in Pa Kua Journal and on the net in various places.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 am

edededed wrote:Ha ha... That may be true... There is a limit, though (probably about 6'6", actually, which is sort of about the limit for big Caucasians in general - 7' and you have an overly-obvious tall tale).

A good friend of mine in high school was 6'4" when he graduated but sprang up to 6'6" afterwards, his older sister was 6'2" when she graduated, his older brother was 6'9" when he graduated high school, and his father was 6'10", all white as snow. 7' doesn't necessarily mean tall tale, just probably.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby JoseFreitas on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:54 am

I watched a K-1 fight yesterday night with a Korean guy touted at 2,18 m, which makes him, what, 6,13''? (Man Hop Choy, fought and lost to Badr the Moroccan Bad Boy).
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Postby Finny on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:12 pm

Hong Man Choi - hehehe 6'13" would actually be 7'1", there being 12 inches in a foot.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby JoseFreitas on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Right!

Although, in a pedantic sort of way I might point out that 7'1'' is in fact 6'13''. 7'1'' just seems so much more impressive!
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 am

Wang met Dempsey?

R U sure of that?

There is a photo in Smith's last book of a famed boxer and boxing trainer (so famous I can't remember him) punching Wang in the tum - but it most certainly is not Dempsey.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 am

Hi Andy,

No,I am not sure of it, I've seen it in the books, but never asked Smith or anyone who may have been there about it. I just brought it up because a previous post mistook RW Smith for the pro boxer, when the story was obviously referencing the story about Dempsey.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Not to derail things, but after watching that clip again, all I take away from it is that I sho nuff wouldn't want to get into fight with the little old monkey style guy.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 pm

I wonder, if one of those top Systema guys would punch him, what would happen? Would it create a horrible paradox and the Universe would collapse onto itself and everything would cease to be?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:45 pm

JessOBrien wrote:CJW, the story is in reference to the meeting between Wang Shu-Jin and Jack Dempsey, not Robert Smith.

The story is in Pa Kua Journal and on the net in various places.

-Jess O

I am aware of the rumor between Wang and Dempsey. There's no proof, however, that the two had actually met.

The story I was referring to was posted on Wang's Cheng-Ming Martial Arts Association website -- in Chinese only -- and it specifically indiciated the boxer's name as "Smith," which I believe is a case of both mistaken identity and Wang's students trying to glorify their teacher's exploit, turning "a westerner with boxing experience" into "a boxing world champion."

In the 60s when there was little exposure to western culture and westerners in the country, the Taiwanese tended to view all Caucasians with stereotype -- as people with big nose, blond hair, and blue eyes -- and categorize them mentally all in one group, which easily leaded to confusion.

I do know for a fact that when Joe Lewis came to Taiwan for an exhibition match in the 50s, Wang proposed a challenge where he'd let Lewis punch him in the belly and see what'd happen. Lewis never accpeted it.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Dmitri wrote:I wonder, if one of those top Systema guys would punch him, what would happen? Would it create a horrible paradox and the Universe would collapse onto itself and everything would cease to be?

yes, were it not for the existence of the large hadron collider.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:54 am

qiphlow wrote:hadron collider

Dammit, I keep reading that as "hardon"... Where did I put that Dr. Freud's number...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:33 am

Dmitri wrote:
qiphlow wrote:hadron collider

Dammit, I keep reading that as "hardon"... Where did I put that Dr. Freud's number...

Holy shit, so do I, and I actually thought Jeff was joking and calling it a "hardon" collider.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:33 am

But I guess thats not unusual, coming from me.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:49 pm

see, mix? if you'd have bent the crazy chick over the table like i suggested, you wouldn't have all this pent up energy.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That