civilisation

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

civilisation

Postby emptycloud on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:04 am

emptycloud

Re: civilisation

Postby Dmitri on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:51 am

Amusing and nicely done, but essentially inaccurate, at its core. It is presuming that the whole thing is some globally-organized and perfectly orchestrated effort, which it isn't.

Even if it were intended as a purely comedic endeavor, -- it seems to be directed at causing one to feel sorry for oneself, which is a cheap shot (like e.g. using sex to sell something unrelated to it) and leaves a funky aftertaste.

But if they were serious (i.e. this is satire) -- it is utterly factually inaccurate and (therefore) disingenuous.

P.S. why BTDT and not OTT?
Last edited by Dmitri on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:34 am

You mean specialization. :)
Overlord

Postby emptycloud on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:00 am

Dmitri wrote:Amusing and nicely done, but essentially inaccurate, at its core. It is presuming that the whole thing is some globally-organized and perfectly orchestrated effort, which it isn't.

Even if it were intended as a purely comedic endeavor, -- it seems to be directed at causing one to feel sorry for oneself, which is a cheap shot (like e.g. using sex to sell something unrelated to it) and leaves a funky aftertaste.

But if they were serious (i.e. this is satire) -- it is utterly factually inaccurate and (therefore) disingenuous.

P.S. why BTDT and not OTT?

ended up on btdt without any real thought..
emptycloud

Postby Dajenarit on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:26 pm

More accurate than not.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:52 am

I don't see anything inaccurate about it, just a one-sided view. Good satire, IMO.

I listen to one guy who sees things for the most part like this video, and it's kind of a downer, although mostly accurate. Another one knows all the same facts, but sees the good side of civilization; I like listening to him more. He's practical, but optimistic. I think it's a better viewpoint.
Michael

Postby willywrong on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:46 pm

emptycloud wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7JRiIXP30U

I like this..

x

That is just so spot on that you have to laugh or cry. What is it, don't hate the player hate the game. :D :D
willywrong

Return to Been There Done That