Bob Nadeau Aikido

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Bob Nadeau Aikido

Postby emptycloud on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXl-mjFAZto

As some have said and concurred on this forum, Bob Nadeau presents a very poor and sad demonstration of Aikido.

I enjoy the facet of the art he has carved out.

As RobP once described it "beatnik Aikido"... that's good enough for me..

Rich
emptycloud

Re: Bob Nadeau Aikido

Postby Bodywork on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:58 am

Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby emptycloud on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:31 am

Bodywork wrote:It is what it is and some people get what they deserve or want. As far as martial arts go, it's an embarrassement.
I wish they would wear leg warmers and dance gear, and teach it as a body method or health system or something. Even then it would be fraudulant, but it would at least not hurt the arts.

its a big party, loosen up, there is something for everyone.

Bob does his gig, you do yours, big deal.

Me, I enjoy the smorgasbord..
emptycloud

Postby wiesiek on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:38 am

-blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby WVMark on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:24 am

emptycloud wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXl-mjFAZto

As some have said and concurred on this forum, Bob Nadeau presents a very poor and sad demonstration of Aikido.

Rich

The part that I have issues with is that he's connecting what he's doing with the founder of aikido, Morihei Ueshiba. They are not doing the same thing. There are a lot of variants of Modern Aikido out there which people find of value. But, they should start researching to understand the truth that what they're doing is not what the founder, Morihei Ueshiba, was doing. If people find value in it, great! But don't link it to Morihei Ueshiba's aikido. It isn't.

Mark
WVMark
Huajing

Postby emptycloud on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:01 am

WVMark wrote:
emptycloud wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXl-mjFAZto

Rich

The part that I have issues with is that he's connecting what he's doing with the founder of aikido, Morihei Ueshiba. They are not doing the same thing. There are a lot of variants of Modern Aikido out there which people find of value. But, they should start researching to understand the truth that what they're doing is not what the founder, Morihei Ueshiba, was doing. If people find value in it, great! But don't link it to Morihei Ueshiba's aikido. It isn't.

Mark

ah c'mon, stop being such a fuddy-duddy, let them play around a little. Who cares if they ain't doing what some cooky old guy from Japan was doing.

If they want to link themselves back to Ueshiba and his amazing bullet dodging abilities then why not cut them a little slack...c'mon you don't want to end up being a martial arts bore do you..?

Ueshiba was a crackpot, are we all supposed to become crackpots as well just because he was..?

As long as you know you are practicing the authentic and proper manifestation of the art that's all that matters.

let the children play... there is plenty of room for the experts in this world as well..
emptycloud

Postby emptycloud on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:32 am

Bodywork wrote:It is what it is and some people get what they deserve or want. As far as martial arts go, it's an embarrassement.
I wish they would wear leg warmers and dance gear, and teach it as a body method or health system or something. Even then it would be fraudulant, but it would at least not hurt the arts.

Perhaps the arts are dying. Perhaps you are the last of the great warriors.

As peaceful people it makes no sense to learn aggressive fighting skills. Neo-Aikido is perfect for metropolitan life.

Neo-Aikido is becoming increasingly autonomous and decentralised. People are practicing with commitment and finding real value.

Aikido in many ways is a success story with a bright future.

It has mutated from the brutal expertise that you have forged within your body and mind.

Neo-Aikido responds to a different enemy than one faced on the battle field. Our foe is more illusive, our enemy is psychological.
Neo-Aikido with its decentralised and autonomous research stations allows us to explore these new avenues of combat with superb tools.

The mind/body training of Neo-Aikido is the open source soft ware of movement based self development and resilience.
Last edited by emptycloud on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:52 am

wiesiek wrote:-blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah-

+1 ;)

Edit: Just putting up a vid to trash someone is IMHO not regarded as a "serious" discussion, thus not allowed to post under "Video Links" according to the description.

Please explain what is bad, how it should be and why you can do it better. Or just let an admin throw the thread into the trash bin.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby WVMark on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Bao wrote:
wiesiek wrote:-blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah- -blah-

+1 ;)

Edit: Just putting up a vid to trash someone is IMHO not regarded as a "serious" discussion, thus not allowed to post under "Video Links" according to the description.

Please explain what is bad, how it should be and why you can do it better. Or just let an admin throw the thread into the trash bin.

I missed the area where RSF states this. The only thing I could find is this, "A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic." So, it's for serious martial arts videos only. By that definition, Nadeau's video should be deleted. I couldn't find anywhere that stated the video section was only for serious discussions.

Of course, it could be argued that Nadeau's video does fall under "serious martial arts videos". I personally don't find it so, but others could ... I guess.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby WVMark on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:00 pm

emptycloud wrote:ah c'mon, stop being such a fuddy-duddy, let them play around a little. Who cares if they ain't doing what some cooky old guy from Japan was doing.

If they want to link themselves back to Ueshiba and his amazing bullet dodging abilities then why not cut them a little slack...c'mon you don't want to end up being a martial arts bore do you..?

Ueshiba was a crackpot, are we all supposed to become crackpots as well just because he was..?

As long as you know you are practicing the authentic and proper manifestation of the art that's all that matters.

let the children play... there is plenty of room for the experts in this world as well..

Ueshiba was far from a crackpot.*** Had he been so, Admirals Takeshita or Asano wouldn't have studied under him. Neither would any of the Black Dragon society members. Neither would have sumo champion Tenryu. Etc, etc, etc. Peter Goldsbury's articles on Aikiweb are a must read for understanding Ueshiba the person in a historical context. All this talk about Ueshiba being a "crackpot" ... is from people who don't understand what Ueshiba was talking about. Chris Li's Sangenkai blog is a must read for a sort of Rosetta stone between what Ueshiba said and how it translated into Internal martial theory and practice plus how Ueshiba recited Chinese martial classical theory.

And, as I said, the problem is that most students of Modern Aikido do NOT know that they aren't practicing the authentic and proper manifestation of aikido. They think they're doing an aikido derived from the founder, Morihei Ueshiba. Most aren't.

Mark

*** EDIT: Brand new blog on Sangenkai website:
http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/kim ... es-part-2/
In 1938 the Prime Minister of Japan was Prince Fumimaro Konoe (近衛 文麿) – he was a patron of Morihei Ueshiba and served on the board of directors for Morihei Ueshiba’s pre-war Kobukai Foundation.

In 1938, when he began training with Morihei Ueshiba at the Kobukan Dojo in Tokyo, Mr. Kimura was a 19 year old Japanese exchange student from Dairen (大連 / Dalian), the Japanese occupied seaport in Northeast China. At the time the art was called “Ueshiba-ryu Aiki-jutsu”, and the students were a laundry list of influential political and military figures.
Last edited by WVMark on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby wiesiek on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm

I`m not trashing the guy,
BUT
explaining the explanations -it is little bit too much for me,
- you have to do short, fast demo
- couple of the words to highlight what do you like to show,/ important point/s/ in the given move/
- repeat the move slowly

it reminds me Taoists explanation :
1st, you have one page of the original
2nd, couple more pages are born, with description - what Master had in the mind on his one page .
3rd,whole book with the explanation of those couple of the pages + what Master had In his mind when painted last verse, and somewhere in the appendix - reprint of the original 1st page...

If somebody know something, and really like to teach you - should be_ clear and direct , look on the our own JWs vid.
hakama jeans and dust free floor aren`t equivalent for this,
so:
"blah" ;)
and adm. can trash such vid., if you`re aski`n me.
Last edited by wiesiek on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:49 pm

wiesiek wrote:I`m not trashing the guy,
BUT
explaining the explanations -it is little bit too much for me,
- you have to do short, fast demo
- couple of the words to highlight what do you like to show,/ important point/s/ in the given move/
- repeat the move slowly

it reminds me Taoists explanation :
1st, you have one page of the original
2nd, couple more pages are born, with description - what Master had in the mind on his one page .
3rd,whole book with the explanation of those couple of the pages + what Master had In his mind when painted last verse, and somewhere in the appendix - reprint of the original 1st page...

If somebody know something, and really like to teach you - should be_ clear and direct , look on the our own JWs vid.
hakama jeans and dust free floor aren`t equivalent for this,
so:
"blah" ;)
and adm. can trash such vid., if you`re aski`n me.

I am not saying that the guy is good, bad or whatever. But I think that anyone who is put out for show deserves an explanation. If you (general you) don't have intention to discuss a vid, I don't understand the point posting it.

BTW, what's different from this clip? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=180#p390226
Both Ukes are doing the falling by themselves. If this clip was Aikido, would you (ts) call it "bad aikido". :P
Last edited by Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Chris Li on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm

WVMark wrote:Ueshiba was far from a crackpot.*** Had he been so, Admirals Takeshita or Asano wouldn't have studied under him. Neither would any of the Black Dragon society members. Neither would have sumo champion Tenryu.

In modern terms it would be like walking into a dojo today whose board of directors included George Bush and Barack Obama, and whose students included people like Colin Powell, Henry Kissenger and Muhammed Ali.

It seems to me that most Aikido people today, either openly or privately, actually do consider Morihei Ueshiba to have been a crackpot, and consider what he said to be mostly unintelligible garbage. Of course, most of those folks bow to his picture in reverence every time they train, are religious about addressing him with honorifics, and regularly quote bits of his writings out of context. In my experience most of them have a hard time seeing the disconnect.

Best,

Chris
Chris Li
Mingjing

Postby Dmitri on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:56 pm

wiesiek wrote:and adm. can trash such vid., if you`re aski`n me.

I would also probably issue emptycloud a warning for starting pointless BS threads that he knows will stir shit. AKA "trolling".
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby xxxxx on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:01 pm

to the pit
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Been There Done That