How to start a BTDT thread.

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

How to start a BTDT thread.

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:37 am

I've refrained from posting this one for a while now because I wanted to avoid having one of the ridiculous discussions that RSF can be prone to, but it seems as though there's enough respect for him on this forum to have an objective discussion about it. I can assure you all that I am not just trying to be an "empty cloud" :P ;) ;D , I'd really just like to hear your opinions on this aspect of teaching/training. Preferably from those who have experienced it first hand. Feel free to contribute to the discussion even if you haven't, but please at least try not to trash talk it if you don't actually know WTF your talking about. Thanks.

So then, thoughts?
Last edited by Spncr on Wed May 13, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Re: Chu Shong Tin - 3 Methods of Teaching

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 am

Spncr wrote:I've refrained from posting this one for a while now because I wanted to avoid having one of the ridiculous discussions that RSF can be prone to, but it seems as though there's enough respect for him on this forum to have an objective discussion about it. I can assure you all that I am not just trying to be an "empty cloud" :P ;) ;D , I'd really just like to hear your opinions on this aspect of teaching/training. Preferably from those who have experienced it first hand. Feel free to contribute to the discussion even if you haven't, but please at least try not to trash talk it if you don't actually know WTF your talking about. Thanks.

So then, thoughts?

Let me get this straight...you'll only post something if people have an "objective" discussion about it with "objective" meaning they have to "respect" the person in question?

Sounds like a very Wing Chun thing to say.

Reminds me of the "Nam-ies" You must refer to my teacher as "Great Grand Master"!

::)

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Let me get this straight...you'll only post something if people have an "objective" discussion about it with "objective" meaning they have to "respect" the person in question?

No, thats why I posted it anyways. I would just prefer to have an actual discussion rather than have the thread get locked because of an overwhelming amount of useless contributions. Sound familiar?

shawnsegler wrote:Reminds me of the "Nam-ies" You must refer to my teacher as "Great Grand Master"!

::)

S

Haha ok, whatever brah. Project your lame stereo types somewhere else. Glad you got the thread off to a real great start.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Why not just post stuff and see what happens. You're more likely to get a decent response if you don't start off telling people what you expect of them in "your discussion." Just sayin.

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:12 pm

well according to you, apparently i might avoid getting responses from users like you, noted, thanks for the tip!

...your really like posting that picture huh? i get it, your a hater! lol really happy for you and your peoples bud!
Last edited by Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks for perpetuating the stereotype with your attitude. Lame stereotypes? ROFLMAO!

What a tool.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:28 pm

calm down, joking bro, just like you

if i wasnt on my cell, id put up a meme too... id pick the will farrell picture of him screaming with the caption "everybody love everybody! COME ON!"

updated:

Last edited by Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Spncr wrote:I've refrained from posting this one for a while now because I wanted to avoid having one of the ridiculous discussions that RSF can be prone to...
So then, thoughts?
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Seriosly though Shawn, no hard feelings (at least not on my end). Id still be interested in hearing what you have to say in regards to the video, objective or subjective, for better or for worse.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Captain McNugget on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 am

Excellent, thank you for sharing.

I like how you described the filling up a hose pipe and allowing the force to move naturally rather than throwing the structure itself. I recently felt this from He Jinghan and have been trying to emulate it.
Captain McNugget
Santi

Postby Spncr on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:31 pm

It wasn't me who
described the filling up a hose pipe and allowing the force to move naturally rather than throwing the structure itself.

I like this too though, and I believe so do many others. At least I know many others who have benefited from this analogy too.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Spncr on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you Captain McNugget for some positive feedback, and I apologize to everyone who read the first half dozen posts, as i suspect it was a waste of your time. When I wrote the OP, despite what Shawn inferred, I was not trying to get solely positive feedback or strictly control the dynamics of discussion.

Spncr wrote:I've refrained from posting this one for a while now because I wanted to avoid having one of the ridiculous discussions that RSF can be prone to, but it seems as though there's enough respect for him on this forum to have an objective discussion about it....

...I'd really just like to hear your opinions on this aspect of teaching/training. Preferably from those who have experienced it first hand. Feel free to contribute to the discussion even if you haven't, but please at least try not to trash talk it...

The only thing I really tried to make implicit, was that I wanted to avoid subjective trash talk from those who have simply had no experience with these teaching methods (well the later two anyways, the first one is fairly universal). I was also hoping that it would circumnavigate the always looming discussions of "fake internal vs real internal!", "what is empty force?", "is chi real?", "but whats the fighting application?" etc, etc. Instead I basically just walked the thread face first into exactly what I was trying to avoid, useless trash talk. Perhaps Shawn even has experience in this area, in which case I would have (and still would) appreciate his opinion on this topic, as i still think it would make for an interesting topic of discussion.

Spncr wrote:Id still be interested in hearing what you have to say in regards to the video, objective or subjective, for better or for worse.

That goes for everybody. Perhaps a few examples of topics that could be discussed would help.

Do you think that all of these teaching methods are legit, or just some?
What are the benefits and draw backs of these approaches?
What other styles/stylists or teachers have used or are using the later two of the methods?
Other random considerations?

Also, feel free to post video clips of similar types of teachings for comparison, and or links to old RSF threads that cover this topic.
Last edited by Spncr on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Spncr on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Too bad it had to be like this.

-argh- -puke- -loco- -shrug-

Have at er' if anyways if your still interested

-bolt-
Spncr
Huajing

Return to Been There Done That