Kua Movement

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Kua Movement

Postby Michael Babin on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi Graham
You have a good website and I have enjoyed many of the posts I've read though I know nothing about bjj, I only have respect for those who want to learn/compete in it. I hope your martial journey continues to be a good one for you. We each have to find our own road in the long-run as it really is the case that the journey itself is the real destination.

I was saying to a local colleague who browses the topics on this forum that I wasn't sure anymore what the point was of contributing to the discussion on many of these threads. While I do like martial "shop talk" sometimes... I also find the constant intellectualizing and/or reminiscing and/or "my dick is bigger than yours" arguments so common among gatherings of martial artists live and on the internet to be tedious beyond belief. At my age, I'd rather train than argue with people I have never met; so I'm going to take a break from RumSoakedFist.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Ed Ladnar wrote:A good distinction between moving without kua and moving with kua around 0:22?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlEAGKbaGE

See what you did, Ed?! SHAME ON YOU!!
;D

Michael, will look forward for you coming back. Always enjoy your posts, FWIW.

Spring is in the air, apparently... again... damn seasons... :D
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:29 am

I wonder too what is the point of this forum anymore.
-still here for the videos and drama.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby littlepanda on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 am

It seems certain internal power methods may give you thick fascia but will make your nerves weak and unsteady.
Last edited by littlepanda on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby littlepanda on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:11 am

GrahamB wrote:I read this article recently about gaslighting and it struck a chord:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/donald-t ... e2e3d7ee82

Does Donald trump have aiki? :)

littlepanda
Anjing

Postby amor on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:44 am

littlepanda wrote:It seems certain internal power methods may give you thick fascia but will make your nerves weak and unsteady.

This is a very interesting statement. I would have thought the methods of developing internal power such as the pulling silk exercises would only serve to strengthen your nerves because these exercises are sort of akin to Neural or Nerve flossing. It's sort of big in the strength conditioning world but I am skeptical of its effectiveness in that arena because they don't practice relaxation techniques.
But is it a particular internal power method you believe makes your nerves weak or all of them? I would have thought the nerves would be stronger as you release the spine, no?
amor
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 am

GrahamB wrote:Well, thanks everybody for the concern about me, but I'm fine thanks. :)

B - I think Dan and Mike are different. I'm not a student of Mike's or anything. He doesn't have students. The only person who bullies even the mods over here, or is talking to lawyers, is Dan. As usual - you just have to read this thread. It's all there for people with eyes to see it. What have I actually said that invites such venom from him? Nothing. I've just asked him questions he finds inconvenient and has refused to answer (again). In contrast MIke will answer any question you ask him. You don't have to agree with his answer, but at least you get one.

Good luck in your training :)

*The questions you asked are from? Mike
*lawyers? Who has publicly, and privately talked about suing teachers? Mike. I don't know ANYONE else who does that.
*Stating that Mike answers every question asked of him is such BS that it removes any remaining credibility to your comments.
*And Venom from me?
I called you on being a mouthpiece for Mike. Which you quite handily proved.

*The topic!
Got anything to say about kua, Graham?
Or movement? I certainly did. Several times.
All you did, was talk about me.

*Bullying the Mods? Have you met these guys? The idea of bullying at least two that I know is comical. Funny though. After you NOT contributing anything to the topic and instead continually taking about me... you bring up the mods. That's exactly what Mike does as well.
You're learning your teachers skills very well.

*Last
Got anything to say about kua, Graham?
About why the video of your teacher shows all these weaknesses?
What's a kua's function, Graham? Since you offered good videos, tell me...
Why are Mike's hips and knees always out of line in all his videos?
How would proper use of kua fix that?
Cat got your tongue?
Bodywork

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:18 am

amor wrote:
littlepanda wrote:It seems certain internal power methods may give you thick fascia but will make your nerves weak and unsteady.

This is a very interesting statement. I would have thought the methods of developing internal power such as the pulling silk exercises would only serve to strengthen your nerves because these exercises are sort of akin to Neural or Nerve flossing. It's sort of big in the strength conditioning world but I am skeptical of its effectiveness in that arena because they don't practice relaxation techniques.
But is it a particular internal power method you believe makes your nerves weak or all of them? I would have thought the nerves would be stronger as you release the spine, no?

Apparently it also impairs the ability to recognize a joke.

:D

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:58 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 am

Dan, I don't claim to be an expert in internal Chinese martial arts,( although I do actually have a teacher in them that's a real person.... And no, it's not Mike ;D )

As I understand it the Kua forms part of the lower dantien, and that's its importance. It's a meeting place for power from the legs, as it's where they attach to the body, and it's the point from which the silk reeling power in the legs comes to, it's this winding in the legs that power the lower dantien's part in power release. It should be added that the lower dantien (along with the middle dantien) work under the control of the main dantien, not independently.

Here's an image from Chen Xin's book, which shows the lower dantien focus point. This is why the kua is important, as I understand it, but I'm no expert.

They say the best way to deal with a gaslighter is to disengage, because you can't win. So, I think I'll take the opportunity to disengage from you now.

Stern said it’s extremely difficult to get gaslighters to take responsibility for their actions, because instead of expressing shame or contrition, they are likely to feign outrage and attack the questioner.

“You might be confronting the person on their own behavior, but they will immediately turn you into the problem,” she said. “It can be extremely damaging to your sense of self and psychological stability.”

While there’s no particular personality type that is more likely to employ gaslighting, Stern said the technique is often used in abusive relationships.

So what should the country do?

According to Stern, the best way to handle a gaslighter is to disengage and let go of the relationship.

“Confronting the gaslighter can inflame him,” she said. “You can not win that power struggle with someone who is invested in gaslighting. With some people, it’s hard to penetrate their system, if not impossible.”
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:58 am

Well, it's good that you finally said something....although it is almost meaningless...
But then you just couldn't resist targeting me again.. Like the gas lighter behavior you have shown THROUGHOUT the thread.

Leg Kua
Things don't rotate on their own. They are moved and they move other things. The attachment and have is critical. The objective is to arrive at clean power, with directions both coming up and in rotation to retain a vertical translation of that force. Your teachers video (you posted) as well as others of the same ilk, all show a pronounced lateral translation of forces in both hip and knee. This not only greatly reduces available power to the main dantien, torso and hands, it leaves one open to those same lateral forces being followed and added to and getting knocked off base or on your ass. The movement in those many videos (that you posted for discussion) is mechanically unsound and indefensible.

Many teachers, teach specifically and pointedly against that type of movement for kua and knees It just isn't rational. The O.P. video certainly doesn't move like that, nor does CXW, LCD, LDX, LCG, WPS, Chen Yu, Feng, CX.. on and on. It is in keeping with the saying..
"Up from the ground,
controlled by the waist,
Out the hands.

Your video? That is more like:
Up from the ground
Swayed out the knees
Dumped sideways out the hips
And what's left....
out the hands. "

I just prefer the movement the experts demonstrate. It just makes more sense. Mostly because it is rational, mechanically defensible... Movement.

I keep giving you tips about movement, you keep talking about me, with someone elses talking points.
Defend your mechanically flawed model. The correct one, works everywhere, ICMA, JMA, FMA, BJJ,
Last edited by Bodywork on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby amor on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:40 pm

D_Glenn wrote:Apparently it also impairs the ability to recognize a joke.

:D

OK, guess im not with it, the silk-reeling shit has probably messed with my mind and physiological processes :-\
amor
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:17 pm

Dan, I don't really know who Mike Sigman is, except that Shawn doesn't like him. I watched a minute or two of that video and I agree that he looks pretty ordinary. I do know that he is not Graham's teacher. So, I'm pretty sure that Graham is (or was) trying to have a discussion about different teacher's perspectives on how to use the kua, and I guess he must have read or seen some Sigman stuff somewhere and wanted to know what you or others thought about it. I'd like it if people could have discussions about things here without bringing in their old feuds from other forums, but that's probably pretty naive and unrealistic thinking on my part.

Anyway I think we've got a couple of useful bits of information from this thread, so that's something.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Well sure. But remember. I don't know Graham. He pretty much started quoting Sigmans attacks on me, went off topic talking about other things. Then....
Voilà. He shows up with a Sigman post addressing me.

My main point.
I talked about kua now in three threads. Graham has still offered nothing but quotes that he doesn't understand.

Wgen I said to try talking for himself. Try talking mechanics? He bailed.
Oh well.
Bodywork

Postby aiasthewall on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:32 pm

I am a relative beginner, but I have noticed that when rotating counter-clockwise, my right hip tends to "hitch" upwards sometimes, and this is something I have been working on correcting, as I imagine it is an inefficient use of power. Usually it is corrected by relaxing certain muscles down there more intently. I noticed it crept up especially in beng chuan. Also, when one side hitches, my knees tend to follow, out of alignment.
aiasthewall
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That