The Pussification of Tai Chi Chuan

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

The Pussification of Tai Chi Chuan

Postby Dweezle on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:40 am

Anyone who has been on the flower awhile will remember this old thread topic, and since I started it the first time, here it goes again....

To pussificate: I thought before that I understood the pussification of tai chi, now that I live in Southern CA I have an even firmer grasp of the Nancy-ness, and the silken-dilettante world that is Tai Chi.

Gladly, I no longer call what I do Tai Chi, it is a now a shameful name, that denotes a Chinese dance art, something lacking substance, and depth, something "new age", and scandalous in nature. I feel that if I called what do I Tai chi, I need to be hanging out in Venice beach begging for Pot, and trying to sell the "art" I recently created with the local dogs droppings in the sand.

I'd like to be proven wrong, I would like to meet people who understand Taijiquan for the combat art it once was, unfortunately, I do not think that is possible. Moreover, I would even settle for any Neija combat minded person around, unfortunately from what I have seen the three sisters have been effectively neutered. The pussification is worse that I initially could have imagined, of course, it is a big city, and a big world, perhaps someone will come forward.

For all of those who may be offended at the moment, be honest. When, if ever, have you used anything you learned in Tai chi to save your own life, or the life of another? Do you really think at this point you could? Or is your practice pussificated?

The pussification of Tai Chi: either you are part of the problem, or the solution, pick one....

G
Dweezle
Santi

Re: The Pussification of Tai Chi Chuan

Postby klonk on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 am

Give my regards to Moon Unit, she's hot.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Dweezle on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:53 am

klonk wrote:Give my regards to Moon Unit, she's hot.

Will do!

;D
Dweezle
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:15 am

Perhaps I could add a Q of my own:
Is Western Taijiquan more pussified than Chinese Taijiquan, or vice versa? (I believe it was the Chinese, not the hippies, who promoted it as a gentle art suitable for old ladies in parks prior to brekkie)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 am

Didn't I see this chap last under the Sixth Street bridge? Gentlemen, what hides under bridges and asks barbed questions of passers by?

Just saaaaayin...
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:51 am

I don't like the word - I find it a bit disrespectful to women.

b.t.w. here's a pic of my eye after my completely neutered, feminized session of the dance art you hate so much:

I think you just need to get out more. Go and see Mr Cartmell, he's around your way.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:45 am

I would tend to agree with Dweezle. By the way, your late -- and famous --"dad' was a spectacular musician and composer and a true creative eccentric. We need more like him!

Love them or hate them for stylistic or ideological reasons, for every Tim Cartmell, Yang Jwing-ming, Kumar Frantzis, Chen Xiao-wang, William C.C. Chen, Erle Montaigue and Yang Hai there are a hundred teachers of taiji who can't throw a punch -- much less stop one.

Does that matter in the grand scheme of things to those who want to wear fancy outfits, believe in projecting qi at a distance to stop attackers, or wave their arms slowly while doing as little physical work as possible? Probably not.

Stop worrying about what others are or are not doing and do your taiji to the best of your ability and do so with the best teachers that you can find for regular training -- at least in your early years. Self-study is important [and so is cross-training, but you just cannot beat the value of good personal instruction for learning any mind/body discipline, a martial apprenticeship, as it were.

Studying taiji or any internal system is a long journey and can be good for the soul, strengthen and train the body in a variety of ways and provide self-defense skills but you may have to study with a variety of people to get a complete package.

In the end, such training has always been a bit like peeling an onion; for a long time, there seems to be another bloody layer under the one that you just removed and there might even be a few tears while you do so.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 am

Take up thai boxing and bjj. Theres lots of disgruntled taiji people going into that field.

edit: I've been lucky enough to meet three people who can really use Taijiquan, but I had to travel for it and spend a lot of time and money meeting and learning from people who have not only no idea about how to fight with tjq, but also are pompous jerks.
But even just meeting these people who are good and training with them is in no way a guarantee that you will be able to fight with it.
Kickboxing has much higher yields of fighters. :P
Last edited by mixjourneyman on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 am

GrahamB wrote:I don't like the word - I find it a bit disrespectful to women.

b.t.w. here's a pic of my eye after my completely neutered, feminized session of the dance art you hate so much:

I think you just need to get out more. Go and see Mr Cartmell, he's around your way.

iPod-having nancy boy! ;D
Ian

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:05 am

Ian wrote:
iPod-having nancy boy! ;D

That's me! ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:44 am

There are greatly skilled internal martial artists all over the place. Go and find them.
Chris Fleming

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:16 am

IMO, you can speak about pussification of karate, jujutsu, aikido, choy li fut, xingyi and many other "styles". Judo turned Jma into sports, UFC was pussified, etc.

That is the way it goes, it is the way of the market. If you want to sell your stuff you need to appeal as many people as possible. That was what someone like Yang Cheng-Fu knew. Popularisation can look very different, but the goal is the same.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 am

There is nothing wrong for doing tai chi to gain some health or fitness in young or old age.

When Yang Lu Chan was asked to teach the kids in the royal family. Guess what they were some pampered or spoiled rotten kids that they were all unhealthy and unfit.

So drop the double stomping feet, drop the kicks and sweeps, and just keep the postures large and slow. the royal kids had to be healthy or fit first before even thinking about fighting.

even thou just lubricate your joints and relax all of your muscle/tendon. there are benefit, are there not?

what is not to like.

and of course, if you want the fighting aspects back, you may always do so.

;)
SPJ
Wuji

Return to Been There Done That