a stupid hypothesis on a stupid BTDT topic

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

a stupid hypothesis on a stupid BTDT topic

Postby everything on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:00 pm

every once in a while someone will say how taijiquan or other ima is better than this or that, etc., etc. and then someone will say obviously it's proven in mma. But semi-seriously. suppose in history, the Chens thought they had a better style, training method, etc. They thought that conclusion in proving things out to themselves and some limited set of other people in whatever format they had, sporting, whatever. That isn't really unusual. Many people thought that about various styles. For example, judo was proven at the metropolitan police tournament. A method of training with fewer techniques was better than styles with endless non-resistant practice of endless techniques. Different military forces have had different preferred styles or mixes (xingyiquan, judo, jiu jitsu, sambo, krav maga, whatever) such that they think their mix must be "better" "combatives". The UFC was created by the Gracies to show that BJJ was superior and they proved it for a long time until the (re) emergence of ground and pound, wrestling, sambo, judo, etc. So it's possible from a historical view to say that tjq, judo, bjj, sambo, whatever, was for some time "better" in its day and in some specific context without getting into stupid internet arguments that one of these styles is eternally above all, lol. In recent history we could say bjj was definitely "better" in some context around 1992 for a few years. The Gracies had that brief period. The Chens maybe think they had some similar brief period in a specific location with some specific tests. That has little to do with whatever conclusions we draw about these arts today in some other broader context. Yet people argue as if there is some single "truth" we can get to on an internet board. ::)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: a stupid hypothesis on a stupid BTDT topic

Postby wiesiek on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:28 am

as far as I know,
every single truth coming in three variations:
the truth
also the truth
and...
shit no truth
so
its hard to get one final conclusion -bolt-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby front on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:55 am

everything wrote:For example, judo was proven at the metropolitan police tournament.

Some years ago I read few materials that dug deeper into that story and in reality it probably never happened. So this story is unreliable. Judo never has "proven" itself against anything. It was pushed to the public by the officials of the day.
front
Santi

Postby everything on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Not sure. Of course there has also been Maeda, Fedor, Rousey, etc. If we consider Bjj to be heavily judo-based, with much cross-training between the two, judo is still one of the top arts.

In any case the main point is various advocates of various styles have been able to make an argument about their style in a very temporary way. TJQ perhaps fit this category at one time and place. I don't think we'llever know.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby chud on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:53 pm

front wrote: Judo never has "proven" itself against anything.

Seriously?!?
What about Karo Parisyan? Ronda Rousey?
chud
Great Old One

Postby front on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:00 am

chud wrote:What about Karo Parisyan? Ronda Rousey?

Every high level athlete is nothing but amazing. What has this to do with the claim that judo is better than classical jujutsu?
front
Santi

Postby wiesiek on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:01 am

any given style is as good as the practitioner , ONLY
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Everybody wants the best system with the magic bullet method they won't have to work for.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Yes sign me up.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:17 am

everything wrote:Yes sign me up.

Well, friend you are IN LUCK.

For a limited time I'm offering free digital download copies of my GRAND ULTIMATE PAPER FIST MANUAL.

This ancient method is so SIMPLE and yet SO POWERFUL that you don't even have to READ the manual. Simply owning it is enough to receive supernaturally omnipotent martial skill.

The book is free, but to get the download link, we have to verify your age and address because US law prohibits the release of these secrets within the borders of certain countries or to children or old people.

I don't want to, but I HAVE to charge $300 for this verification process, but trust me, once you've got the art of the GRAND ULTIMATE PAPER FIST money and sex and good food will be yours by default through the arrangements made by the style's founder with the 36 Djinn of Wudang.

If that's not enough, because I like you and I'm feeling self-destructive, if you act now, I'm going to go ahead and throw in a copy of "ORAGAMI: THE ART OF TALKING PAPER" and "101 WAYS TO AVOID INTERNET SCAMS".
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Been There Done That