here's some mantak chia ebooks

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: here's some mantak chia ebooks

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:33 am

I just remember some clip of a student who was doing some chi gong postures, mostly holding the ball, and some others that looked strange--isolating the upper body from the lower body for some reason. For instance, bending forward (and with a hunch back) without bending the legs at all. Dale, I know the way you teach Ride the Buffalo to the Sea has you bending the legs and keeping the back straight, as it should be.
Chris Fleming

Postby Interloper on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've been reading his "Inner Structure of Tai Chi" and "Iron Shirt Chi Kung" books and have gotten far enough through to notice that while he seems pretty accurate regarding the mechanics needed for basic ground path and stable structure, he doesn't get into the kind of winding/coiling dynamics necessary for generating fajing.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:25 pm

On the whole, it has been my view that Mantak Chia has basically taken alot of common domain material and practices, and packaged these for a slick and successful marketing campaign via books, video tapes, workshops, seminars, on-site courses, and so forth. This strategy has worked very well for him.

The primary objection to his teaching methods among experienced CMA folks has been what many of us consider an irresponsible presentation of more advanced internal practices to total beginners at a weekend workshop, and then simply take the big money and move on to the next town, without any practice supervision or follow-up to insure that people aren't injuring themselves internally by practicing his material incorrectly.

These types of training methods require more instruction time for most students, in order to properly prepare their bodies for more strenuous internal work, and need regular correction and refinement from a competent and experienced teacher to master. Period. ::)

This is the primary reason why other teachers have chosen not to present this kind of material in this manner, not because they couldn't also do so it they wanted to, but because it is irresponsible! :-\

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:27 am

Always good to see you coming in with the natural truth of things Doc.

As usual, thank you.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Doc Stier wrote:On the whole, it has been my view that Mantak Chia has basically taken alot of common domain material and practices, and packaged these for a slick and successful marketing campaign via books, video tapes, workshops, seminars, on-site courses, and so forth. This strategy has worked very well for him.

The primary objection to his teaching methods among experienced CMA folks has been what many of us consider an irresponsible presentation of more advanced internal practices to total beginners at a weekend workshop, and then simply take the big money and move on to the next town, without any practice supervision or follow-up to insure that people aren't injuring themselves internally by practicing his material incorrectly.

These types of training methods require more instruction time for most students, in order to properly prepare their bodies for more strenuous internal work, and need regular correction and refinement from a competent and experienced teacher to master. Period. ::)

This is the primary reason why other teachers have chosen not to present this kind of material in this manner, not because they couldn't also do so it they wanted to, but because it is irresponsible! :-\

Doc

QFT
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Been There Done That