External Sports Influence

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

External Sports Influence

Postby willie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 pm

The pro's and con's of external influence. AKA peer pressure created from main stream media.

Pro's. Because of the courageous efforts of modern day fighters we have the very fortunate luxury of seeing how things work in the ring and learn different skills
and defenses.

Con's. If you train an art like taijiquan. You can not just go ask Iron Mike Tyson how to improve your taiji. He could definitely teach you to fight, But he's not qualified
to teach you how to fight with taijiquan. You have to learn each and every move and train to actually use it.

So where does taijiquan really fit in with modern times and in a modern world?

Last edited by willie on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
willie

Re: External Sports Influence

Postby willie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Oh and to the guy who thought that I altered the video. Guess what, it's not altered. That's called qi. You know, as in Tai Chi.
Last edited by willie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 pm

That's called qi. You know, as in Tai Chi.

???

How can you expect to be taken as an authority when you don't even know what Taiji means?
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:
That's called qi. You know, as in Tai Chi.

???

How can you expect to be taken as an authority when you don't even know what Taiji means?

Who says that I don't know what taichi means, you? Lol. I don't think that you know what it means. Like I would take you as an authority over the true authorities that I'm learning it from, What a clown, LOL!
Last edited by willie on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
willie

Postby Trick on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:50 am

Hmmm, so what does Qi mean? Does Qi also exist in "external sports" such as boxing fo example
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 am

Trick wrote:Hmmm, so what does Qi mean?

Clearly it means "pole" or "polarity", though sometimes translated as "ultimate".
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 am

oragami_itto wrote:

Clearly it means "pole" or "polarity", though sometimes translated as "ultimate".

Ah, so the Qi here is means the Chi as in "Tai Chi" or the Ji as in Taiji
Trick

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:26 am

willie wrote:Oh and to the guy who thought that I altered the video. Guess what, it's not altered. That's called qi. You know, as in Tai Chi.

This statement clearly indicates that Willie thinks that 極 in 太極拳 is 気, but it's not.
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:35 am

Trick wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

Ah, so the Qi here is means the Chi as in "Tai Chi" or the Ji as in Taiji

According to Willie.

I'm being cheeky though.

Qi/Chi is not the same as Ji/Chi unless he's talking about something beyond my meager experience
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby xxxxx on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:13 am

Ask and you shall receive.
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Postby Appledog on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:29 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:59 am

xxxxx wrote:Ask and you shall receive.

Sorry mr. Mod. But these guys attacked my video as being incorrect. Truthfully the video was extremely correct as it comes directly from Grandmaster WHJ. The topic could of and should have been a very good one if other people had let it unfold in a rational manner. But I guess you're right maybe sharing thoughts opinions and videos on this site is not such a good idea. Thank you
willie

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am

willie wrote: Truthfully the video was extremely correct as it comes directly from Grandmaster WHJ.

Oh, so you published a video with some performance of some grandmaster with the initials "whj"? I missed it, damn. And it had external sports influence? From what sport? :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 am

Bao wrote:
willie wrote: Truthfully the video was extremely correct as it comes directly from Grandmaster WHJ.

Oh, so you published a video with some performance of some grandmaster with the initials "whj"? I missed it, damn. And it had external sports influence? From what sport? :P
no, I did a little video of me working on Xinjia yilu. I made sure that I put in a throw from Section 5. The topic was not about the form actually. It was more about what being internal means and how to achieve your goals of being able to actually use it. It was some advice that I took from a Tai Chi Master long long ago that I wanted to discuss with the board but unfortunately guys like Ian who have over-inflated ego ruined it for everyone
willie

Postby robert on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 am

oragami_itto wrote:Qi/Chi is not the same as Ji/Chi unless he's talking about something beyond my meager experience

I think that should be -

Qi/Ch'i is not the same as Ji/Chi

As an initial sound ch' is pronounced q and ch is pronounced j in Wade Giles romanization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade%E2%80%93Giles
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That