Are there still schools with Spiritual Aspects

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Are there still schools with Spiritual Aspects

Postby Aqui on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Hey guys :)

I am leaning far out the window for this post and will probably get ridiculed from quite a few... but anyway here's my question:

Are there still martial art schools that have and teach a spiritual practice without having lost their martial side?

Some years ago I trained under a filipino teacher who was a proper fighter (and fought for real in his youth in SEA) yet he was a deeply spiritual man teaching and living his esoterics (oracion, anting anting, rituals,...). As many won't believe in such things (which is fine with me), but he could produce some weird stuff and would teach aspects of it.
At one point family obligations forced him to go back to the Filippines and I lost contact.

So do you guys know of such a teacher? Can be CIMA or other, the quality is important, not the label!

You can PM me if you like.

Thank you,

Aqui
Aqui
Anjing

Re: Are there still schools with Spiritual Aspects

Postby Trick on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Are the Yellow Bamboo's still around?........sorry............My first Taiji teacher did just a little Filipino MA in the Philippines, the old teacher he met there focused a lot on spiritual practice, I guess it is widely practiced in the Pihlipines......Don't know if Glima wrestlers of today still writes specific "magical" runic signs on a piece of paper to be put in the shoes, must be some spiritual aspect to that.
Trick

Postby Appledog on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 am

Appledog wrote: I think I have a decent grasp of what I have to do next.

Hi appledog.
Would you mind answering one thing. Which is?
willie

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 am

"Are there still martial art schools that have and teach a spiritual practice without having lost their martial side?"

What kind of spiritual practice do you ask for? Religious or philosophical? Or something else?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you very much, Appledog!
Sounds very interesting, could you tell me more about the spiritual aspects of your teachers teachings and about the effects they have? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss openly!

Thank you Bao for your post, I am looking neither for philosophical nor religious practice, neither of them produces (in my experience) real results.
As I said my philipino teacher could produce real graspable results, not just insights or realisations (though both are very important, just not what I am specifically looking for). So I am looking for methods to actually get results.
Aqui
Anjing

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 pm

So I guess you mean teachers with "special" or "mystic" skills? ???
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Bao wrote:So I guess you mean teachers with "special" or "mystic" skills? ???

Sorry, I think the problem is that spiritual means different things for different people...
But "special" or "mystic" skill are exactly what I mean (for me they fall in the spiritual category) :)
Aqui
Anjing

Postby Aqui on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Did you ever experience a teacher with "special" / "mystic" skills, Bao?
Aqui
Anjing

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Aqui wrote:Did you ever experience a teacher with "special" / "mystic" skills, Bao?

:-X
;D

No, not really. But I've heard some interesting stories...
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm

I don't know, but I would think if ones spiritual level is high one would not feel the need of practicing pugilism. If the chosen spiritual practice is deep there would not be any thoughts at all about pugilism.....Now, put on the armor of God-https://m.wikihow.com/Put-on-the-Armor-of-God :)
Trick

Postby Appledog on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Appledog
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:41 am

Serge Augiers Da Xuan Tradition is a complete system of spiritual pracitce, lifestyle practice and martial practice. As i understand it, the students of the school focus as much on meditation and Taoist training as on the fighting arts.

Thanks.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Tiga Pukul on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 am

There are still quite a bit of Silat schools that include Spiritual Aspects. Similar to what is practiced in the Phillipines. And yes also without loosing the martial side. I heard some crazy stories from Pencak Silat teachers returning from Indonesia to the Netherlands with plenty of knowledge in those aspects. Inducing Trance within seconds, Manipulation, Stopping people from a distance, Predicting time of illness or death, Putting people into trance and let them fight each other whilst in trance etc.etc.

An area which i prefer to steer clear from, but I know it exists and is still practiced.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Next

Return to Been There Done That