bullshido taking the piss

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: bullshido taking the piss

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Bullshido has a small handful of really great guys who I wish were posters here, and the rest are either genetic refuse or larval-stage males. The original mission of the site was good karma overall, even if the methods were crude and indiscriminately disrespectful.

Now that they've discovered the lucrative world of internet marketing and advertising, they have become a brand (in a bad way) and have a certain business model which they must maintain in order to retain X number of web hits. They've discovered, just like cable news political talk shows, that controversy and drama mean big ratings.

I used to lurk and occasionally post there years ago when I gave them the chance to live up to their advertising as a place for no-bullshit discussion of what actually works in the martial arts, but they didn't live up. Only a tiny few knew a damn thing about real combat, in any context, and the rest were snot-nosed punkasses whose sole existence was to keep the collective ani of MMA/NHB clean using their lips and noses.

Sadly, and perhaps a bit ironicly given their advert copy, the reason I left is that not enough of them knew enough about actual combat to make up for the adolescent bullshit and mob-level insights.
Chris McKinley

Postby klonk on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Dude...wait....what? This flap was just a ratings game? Dang!

I don't think I'll play next time.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Bullshido has a small handful of really great guys who I wish were posters here,

Well, that is very true. There are some great practitioners on that site. 8-)

And then, there are some that give that site a bad reputation. What we are excellent on here on the EF is to drvie away the bullshitters away as soon as they arrive. I think the Bullshido site has a lot to learn from the crew of this site. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:07 pm

The larger point I was hoping to express is this. Up until someone walks into various dojo and gyms…they are open for ridicule and scorn by the unknowing on Bullshido apparently BECAUSE they practice a TMA. It doesn't make them right though does it? My case may not be appropriate since I was brought up "going at it" from a young age. Never the less my real skills come from TMA. And I will defend the veracity of the TMA any day of the week. And that has and still means doing so with some of the young ignorant guys caught up with the UFC (which I also love).
There are just as many MMA and BJJ young turks -who haven’t a clue- as there are any number of TMA young turks who are clueless. The truth is most Martial artists of all types suck eggs. Only the young and truly stupid and ignorant would toss out all traditional methods for the simple fact that most in them don’t fight. that doesn't change the veracity of the skills inherent in the methods.

I guess the deciding factor is whether or not to give a shit about educating them or leaving them to ther own devices. I freely admit to enjoying the look on their faces when they get hit- or exhaust themselves trying to throw us. At any rate, in the midst of all the verbose blabbering on bullshido about hubris… they maintain a hubris... all their own. Maybe it's just me but i feel much the same about the opinions expressed by a "certain person" here who likes to openly talk smack about those who do internal training for power conditioning in their jutsu.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby Finny on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Bullshido is full of 15 year olds who discovered the UFC two or three years ago.

The sole objective of BUllshido is to denigrate all MA other than the BJJ/MT/MMA culture that the UFC has created.

Unfortunately they do these great styles a disservice.

Poor old Phrost, probably started with the best of intentions, but it really has gone beyond a joke.

To be honest, I'd be surprised that any serious adult MA practitioners even visit BSD any more - I certainly haven't been there for at least a few years, cos it's always the same juvenile shit.

If I wanted a teenagers perspective on life I'd cruise Myspace...
Finny
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:59 pm

I don't normally look at bullshido but I was reading some threads there after following the link and just wanted to say to Dale, that while it's not seen a lot in these modern times, the word 拳術 'quan shu' is used a lot in the CMA songs and classics, where it means basically 'martial art, boxing, fisticuffs. Also it's not uncommon to get a somewhat closer pronunciation in english to say chuan instead of quan, like chi instead of qi. -fwiw
BTW Any luck on figuring out who that guy was?
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:10 am

Finny wrote:To be honest, I'd be surprised that any serious adult MA practitioners even visit BSD any more - I certainly haven't been there for at least a few years, cos it's always the same juvenile shit.

If I wanted a teenagers perspective on life I'd cruise Myspace...

Same here. The only reason that I joined there, once, was because of Asia.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Myspace? you'll get the low down on the naivete of teens if you sign up at facebook. lol

updates like "i got drunk and ain't going to school" read out loud in class by your teacher is all the rage now.

MySpace is for hollywood leatherfaces to troll for 14 year old sex victims isn't it? Unless you're a band, in which case, it's the cheapest marketing tool you can have bar none.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Been There Done That