Is this a joke?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Is this a joke?

Postby OldRed on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 am

Is this guy for real?

My advice would be to pressure test this at a local open mat session...
OldRed
Santi

Re: Is this a joke?

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:53 am

This has been around here a few times.
My take on it is that Sam has really good push hands skills (know this from personal experience with his students), but he doesn't have a clue about ground fighting at all ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:13 am

Someone on the shenwu called this mental masturbation.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby OldRed on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:12 pm

Ok, sorry for bringing it up again if its been hashed over. Clueless mental masturbation. That about sums it up. :)
OldRed
Santi

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:09 pm

IME taiji can be very useful on the ground. However, the parts that are most useful are taiji emphasis on tingjin, on pengjin, and on following, and on learning how to seek to eleminate the pressure as well as change continuously.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Yeah, it's a bunch of garbage. Don't use it. ::) Don't do anything else that might be effective, either. Some of us like having the upper hand. :)

(Yes, I've found what he's doing useful.)

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby OldRed on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:Yeah, it's a bunch of garbage. Don't use it. ::) Don't do anything else that might be effective, either. Some of us like having the upper hand. :)

(Yes, I've found what he's doing useful.)

Dave C.

I've no doubt listening skills and so forth have are a benefit to groundfighting. The real problem I have with this vid is not that its tai chi or what he's doing per se. Its that he's not doing it against a person with even a small amount of comfort on the ground and he himself displays a very limited understanding of how far such skills come into play in terms of using the whole body. IME, the act of pinning/gaining superior position and control, and maintaining it is pretty much the same thing I used to do in bridge hands training except that its with my whole body instead of focused primarily in the arms. So if you're getting something out of your IMA in ne waza, that's great! If its laying on your back playing sticky hands, well...remember to tap early and often. There's a gentleman who's a blue belt at the BJJ place I train at. He's also into tai chi and teaches a push hands class on Sunday mornings at the gym. He's hell on wheels down on the mat.
OldRed
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:19 am

Dave I don't think anyone has said that IMA skills can't be used on the ground, but what Mr.Massich is showing will more than likely just get you grabbed and tapped before you have much of a chance to do anything.
I think Tim Cartmell's take on ground work is much more workable since he actually has some basic understanding of what bjj guys actually do on the ground ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:34 am

Just another thought: I think you could make his ideas work if you already know something about grappling, since you will know how to control angles and already know some escapes and how to set up submissions, but if he's selling this stuff to Aikido guys as a way that they can beat bjj people, well, I think they will be sadly surprised when they next roll.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 am

Sam has real martial skill -- not just push-hands skill -- and has a fair bit of judo/wrestling experience from his early days. I don't know enough of about the technical nature of ground work to comment on the level of expertise he displays in this clip but I wouldn't underestimate his ability to do what he teaches... whether those he teaches can use the same skills is problematic but that is true of any teacher, teaching any topic.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah, I just wanted to add that from what I have seen of Sam's students, they have real taiji skill.
I was just commenting on the ground work only.
:)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:23 pm

perhaps the gentleman in the vid was merely trying to show that the principles one develops in PH need not be restricted to when one is standing on one's feet.
pete should chime in on this, since he's recently gotten into grappling and has told me that his PH skills have helped him greatly with his learning process.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 pm

of course listening is used in grappling.

of course push "hands" is push "body".

of course someone skilled in both ground grappling and taiji should be able to tell as well as show. this person doesn't have to be a champion in push hands or bjj or judo, but sure, that would perk our ears up more.

if this particular gentleman is expert in judo as well, surely his ne waza + taiji skill has some valid points. I didn't bother watching the whole video, though, so not sure if he is making actual technique points or just a "listening" point. I don't see why a demo video has to include resistance from someone else who knows a lot. demo videos are often (usually?) more interesting than sparring videos because it's easier to get an idea to go try.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:47 pm

omg. that was some of the worst advice regarding ground fighting ever.
maybe he should just stick to tai chi...so to speak. ;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby OldRed on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:55 pm

everything wrote:I don't see why a demo video has to include resistance from someone else who knows a lot. demo videos are often (usually?) more interesting than sparring videos because it's easier to get an idea to go try.

Well that's just it. A demo video is fine, but demonstrating against an unskilled opponent shows next to nothing. Its a lot like demonstrating how to drive in NASCAR against an old grannie in a yugo. Sure its a car. Sure its a driver. But it sure as heck ain't the right way to learn how to race ;)
OldRed
Santi

Next

Return to Been There Done That