using an jin to seal an opponents root?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: using an jin to seal an opponents root?

Postby middleway on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 am

No not well said at all. In fact it is like hes talking to someone else about a completely different subject.

The point of his post is valid IMO. Maybe not in relation to your posts.

sorry dan ... i didnt realise for some reason!

ok thats cool. I know you dont do what sigman does, that was mainly aimed at Interloper. If you ever do open that box it would be interesting to actually see your stuff. Words are just words at the end of the day for most people arent they.... and sticking up one video might be easier than writing an essay type responce. :D

cheers anyway

chris
Last edited by middleway on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am

Graham
Again, and to be clear. You...were referrencing Vmark
Vmark was talking about training with me. I made that clear. I wrote it out so I would be clear.
This complaince and push hands stuff has been repeated by you and others in the portions of the thread I did manage to read. In the kindest yet most definitve manner I wanted to make the point that what Mark and Interloper were talking about does not jive with what some of the other push hand types are keep defualting back to in their discussion in regards to me. Make sense?
Other than that, I have no interest in the thread at all.

Cheers
Dan
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 am

middleway wrote:
No not well said at all. In fact it is like hes talking to someone else about a completely different subject.

ok thats cool. I know you dont do what sigman does, that was mainly aimed at Interloper. If you ever do open that box it would be interesting to actually see your stuff. Words are just words at the end of the day for most people arent they.... and sticking up one video might be easier than writing an essay type responce. :D

cheers anyway

chris

Hi Chris
No problem
As for vids clearing things up...Not really. Watching me bang and roll is like wathcing anyone else who knows how to fight. You might pick up on some structure stuff and on the way I move or that the other guy is having a hell of time entering throwing or rolling all over the freaking place trying for dominant postioning and getting far more gassed at the effort than me but the how and why is not clear as it is not seen. The only really clear surface observation is the heavy hand strikes and kicks but that will be dismissed as just heavy hands. For the most part good grappling just looks like good grappling; feints set-ups entering, change ups, postional dominance and throws we all probably know.

Edit:
(But here is my point -seeing an angle of attack used (as John Wang noted 45 deg or otherwise) pointing to the feet or the center is wrestling 101 and should be treated as such by all here. Calling that an-jin and him making a reference to there not being a much deeper skil all while even deying their IS deeper skills and then seeing people suck it up speaks for itself.)

At the end of the day..the goals are the same...they get owned, so who cares.
I say to all detractors stop wasting time talking about it. Go join a wrestling class or a BJJ dojo and stop wasting your time with all of this internal stuff!
Its all bullshit anyway right? it's all the same as lifting weights, and doing judo- in fact thats better. So get those kettle bells out and get to work while wrapping your legs around trees.
Leave the internal skills to those who want to pursue them, you know... the fairy people living in a fantasy world you talk about. )[/b]
There is no middle ground. No joining of the two points..why that would be...that would be....dare I hint at the word.....reasonable :o
oh too much...too much!!
Anyway,
That's all I have to say about the thread
Peace
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 am

Well, with all due respects, I have no personal interest in you, so you can remove any such thoughts you are reading into my posts. If you want to buy me lunch you're fine by me ;D Although we live on different continents, so that might be tough ;D

All I'm saying (and the point that Middleway is agreeing with) is that there is a general assumption amongst internal "players" that the fun internal tricks demonstrated in gentle, compliant situations would work against sparring with resistance simply because aw fuck it. I've written this about 4 times already on this thread and now I've lost the will to live... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:21 am

Bodywork wrote:
middleway wrote:

cheers anyway

chris

Hi Chris
No problem
As for vids clearing things up...Not really. Watching me bang and roll is like wathcing anyone else who knows how to fight. You might pick up on some structure stuff and on the way I move or that the other guy is having a hell of time entering throwing or rolling all over the freaking place trying for dominant postioning and getting far more gassed at the effort than me but the how and why is not clear as it is not seen. The only really clear surface observation is the heavy hand strikes and kicks but that will be dismissed as just heavy hands. For the most part good grappling just looks like good grappling; feints set-ups entering, change ups, postional dominance and throws we all probably know.
Anyway, that's all I have to say about the thread
Peace
Dan

Cool - I think that was the point I was trying to make was in there somewhere anyway ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 am

cloudz wrote:could you elaborate a tiny bit for me on "catch opportunity". As I'm having difficulty interperating it differently from "good timing".

Catch opportunity means to be able to recognize when an opportunity arrive. Good timing means your speed can coordinate with your opponent's speed. Sometime your speed is not important but how you can move with your opponent is important.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby WVMark on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 am

GrahamB wrote:
WVMark wrote:
I'm not Interloper, but I'll chime in here. Not only, have I "seen it with your own eyes", but I've experienced it. Did they put on gloves? Did they offer? Yeah. But after a little while of friendly sparring without gloves, only an idiot would put on gloves. If you've got no chance in friendly sparring, you've got less chance with gloves. :)

Again, there's the exact same problem right there I'm talking about - you see something working in a compliant situation, and you extrapolate that into it working just the same, if not better, in a more 'real' situation (sparring with resistance). Why? It's false thinking and so prevalent in the IMA world that nobody even gives it a second thought. It amazes me.

"If you've got no chance in friendly sparring, you've got less chance with gloves."

Somebody can bounce you all around the park in push hands or whatever, so that means they can do even better against you when you're really trying to hit them in the face? wtf?

Um, let me detail this a bit more. I don't do push hands. I don't do taiji bouncing. I don't do compliance in a sparring situation. I spar with resistance.

When I worked with Dan, we used sticks. No compliant pushy-feely hands in the park. I tried to hit him. It never worked. And I got tagged all the time. In fact, tagged several times in a row in the same place just to show me I couldn't protect any part of my body. There is *no* need to put on gloves and try to hit someone if you can't do it with sticks. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that fact. But, hey, just in case you missed the point ... again ... someone I train with in kali met Dan and sparred with him. No sticks, just hands, fists, elbows, knees, feet, etc. He couldn't tag Dan but got tagged multiple times. He couldn't block any of Dan's punches. Not that Dan was faster, but that Dan's punches blew right through any defense. That's the reality.

There is a skill set for IMA that I've found few possess. Few teach it. And for the most part, people haven't been exposed to it. So, yeah, it's a hard concept to grasp, especially when all you see is external martial arts trying to pass themselves off as internal and all the the supposed internal "masters" can't hack resistance. The reality is that true IMA skills *can* handle "live", "resistant" environments and are a very significant addition to any martial art.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby cloudz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 am

Bodywork wrote:
middleway wrote:

cheers anyway

chris

Hi Chris
No problem
Anyway, that's all I have to say about the thread
Peace
Dan

All well and good, but I agree with Chris that it would be good to see your stuff anyway - it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I like your approach - Internal conditioning methods + MMA style training.

What i don't so much like is when you say point out someone like Tim Cartmell who has put some of his sparring out there and say it's not internal. You are happy to go around saying you don't see any internal, but state people won't see it in your clips.

That's kind of a sneaky get out clause for elevating your methods, when coupled with what you write. At the end of the day re. your method and internal we only have your descriptions to go on.

I like many others on here do appreciate the exercise we have gotton from CIMA - nei gong to be precise.
It just gets a bit silly when a group of people continue to set them selves as a cut above and assert no one else "has it" or "knows it". And that's what seems to be the case here.

Like you say it is about the effort - it sounds like you have made great efforts in your own training. Maybe you should give your own efforts and time more credit than what you may think is specialized training available to only a tiny tiny group, such as you.

i think the methods are out there to be taken up, without necessarily going half way round the world to get them - not that they are on every doorstep either. the rest is up to the individual. I continually get the impression of 'secret' method when reading some posts.. when really the only secret is lots of training.

Can you say something about your exercises. I can't imagine them being all that different to what's out there. I assume you didn't creat them in a vacuum.

It's maybe a case of you being a big strong guy who's a damn good skilled fighter too. I'm also aware that internal methods can cause a 'sea change' feeling in people on different levels. And of course if i didn't beleive from experience that you get solid improvements with this the kind of training I've found in IMA I wouldn't still be doing it. Nor do I think they are the kind of thing I'd pick up in your average Karate class for example.

regards.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 am

johnwang wrote:
cloudz wrote:could you elaborate a tiny bit for me on "catch opportunity". As I'm having difficulty interperating it differently from "good timing".

Catch opportunity means to be able to recognize when an opportunity arrive. Good timing means your speed can coordinate with your opponent's speed.
Thanks for the clarification John.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 am

When I worked with Dan, we used sticks. No compliant pushy-feely hands in the park. I tried to hit him. It never worked. And I got tagged all the time. In fact, tagged several times in a row in the same place just to show me I couldn't protect any part of my body. There is *no* need to put on gloves and try to hit someone if you can't do it with sticks. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that fact. But, hey, just in case you missed the point ... again ... someone I train with in kali met Dan and sparred with him. No sticks, just hands, fists, elbows, knees, feet, etc. He couldn't tag Dan but got tagged multiple times. He couldn't block any of Dan's punches. Not that Dan was faster, but that Dan's punches blew right through any defense. That's the reality.

All that tells me is that he is a good martial artists, better than you and better than the other guy. For all I know he could be extremely strong and powerful and highly skilled.

But how unique is he in that regard ?

There is a skill set for IMA that I've found few possess. Few teach it. And for the most part, people haven't been exposed to it. So, yeah, it's a hard concept to grasp, especially when all you see is external martial arts trying to pass themselves off as internal and all the the supposed internal "masters" can't hack resistance.

You seem to only making assumption here and generilizing some what. care to be more specific. Nothing you described about Dan earlier relates to this concept of internal. So what do you expect people to do. Drop everything and fly around the world?

I mean plenty of people on this board have trained with good martial artists - I think. It seems you have a problem really believing that.

The reality is that true IMA skills *can* handle "live", "resistant" environments and are a very significant addition to any martial art.

True IMA skills ? there are just training methods and there are just skills at the end of day - what you can do. But I agree that there are IMA out there who can throwdown just fine.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Dan, thanks for the posts. I don't know if my previous posts have come off as dismissive of IMA use in combat, because they weren't meant to be. However I have been dismissive of the idea of being able to "seal the root" of someone and it be used in actual fighting. Actually what you did include in your post was about the extent of how a thought it could actually be used.

I think everyone here for the most part likes to assume that they have IMA skills that are usable in fighting. Also everyone has heard and seen the quality of the typical IMA, taiji or whatever, school. So we assume that most of the people on the board fit that mold. However as near as I can tell everyone talks like they train at very good, the real deal, IMA schools.

Without going and meeting everyone on this board we cannot know how they train or what they know. So I find it more useful to assume everyone knows what they are talking about until proven otherwise.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:02 pm

Bodywork wrote:As for vids clearing things up...Not really. Watching me bang and roll is like wathcing anyone else who knows how to fight. You might pick up on some structure stuff and on the way I move or that the other guy is having a hell of time entering throwing or rolling all over the freaking place trying for dominant postioning and getting far more gassed at the effort than me but the how and why is not clear as it is not seen. The only really clear surface observation is the heavy hand strikes and kicks but that will be dismissed as just heavy hands. For the most part good grappling just looks like good grappling; feints set-ups entering, change ups, postional dominance and throws we all probably know.

This cuts to the heart of why I personally believe that the methods ended up being labeled by the term "internal". Nothing of significance can be seen by the outside observer. The "techniques", as such, are on the inside. What is happening of significance happens in the internal world of the participants.

Edit:
(But here is my point -seeing an angle of attack used (as John Wang noted 45 deg or otherwise) pointing to the feet or the center is wrestling 101 and should be treated as such by all here. Calling that an-jin and him making a reference to there not being a much deeper skil all while even deying their IS deeper skills and then seeing people suck it up speaks for itself.)

Just on the off chance that I was lumped into this group I guess I'd want to clarify that I do not think that an-jing falls into that sort of category and I do think that there is a much deeper skill. I engage in John Wang's paradigm in order to learn a little bit of his excellent grappling knowledge which I lack.

When instructing, which I only do a very little bit as I am not really that good, I make a distinction between what I call a "dumb push" and a "smart push". In this context dumb=dead and smart=alive. The smart push is one where you project a sort of active intelligence into the push. You reach out and connect on a subtle level. A dumb push just pushes along whatever angle. When trying to help one of my shi-di get the hang of double hand pushing, specifically he couldn't understand how the transition from ji to an functions in the context of incoming force, in order to make it simpler for him I gave him a dumb push. I immediately got yelled at by Shifu who was watching in the background for "just pushing" instead of feeding him an-jing.

The difference between just pushing on that angle and expressing an-jing is clear as day to me. I just feel that for the sake of discussion, I try to speak/write using the language of the paradigm of the listener. I figure that if I argue with John over wether an is or is not more subtle than just a push in a certain direction, then I may lose access to his guidance on the things he is most expert in.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:14 am

Graham: "IMA Meals on Wheels":

"Hello, luv, what could I interest you in today, then? Oh, it does look lovely, doesn´t it? That´s steak and kidney pie with extra peng, that is. Lovely. Oh, you are a rascal, you! And for afters you have the Custard Tart with Enid´s special custard ji in, made special, that is. Takes ages. Tomorrow is Bubble and Squeak, dear, and none of that modern with that Jamie Oliver. Bit too swish, down South, if you ask me. Brew´s up, some nice lu tea, dear? (Bilingual pun for all chinese speakers added no extra charge - lucha ;) ) An? No, dear. No. They can´t be bothered down at the Central these days. Cutbacks and all. I know. I know. Not like in the old days when we were young, is it? No. Bye now!

...and for all of you wondering what on Earth Bubble and Squeak is and whether Dong Haichuan really would eat it, see:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jami ... index.html

And spiffy video:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/jamie-at-home/index.html

;D

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:23 am

cloudz wrote:

I like your approach - Internal conditioning methods + MMA style training.

What i don't so much like is when you say point out someone like Tim Cartmell who has put some of his sparring out there and say it's not internal. You are happy to go around saying you don't see any internal, but state people won't see it in your clips.

That's kind of a sneaky get out clause for elevating your methods, when coupled with what you write. At the end of the day re. your method and internal we only have your descriptions to go on.

Well, thanks for the slam with this idea that I am trying to elevate myself and be sneaky.
First of all what I stated about Tim is that in the video that was offered he...not me...he...was only outlining practical jujutsu theory and it had nothing to do with internals. Some folks in that thread attributed the principles he was talking about as internal. I also stated that on the whole it was *good* jujutsu theory. I then suggested thay ask TIm if he himdelf...would call that video either internal training? or jujutsu 101 training? Look, Tim deserves his rep and is also supposed to be as good a teacher as a fighter. If there is some debate over his internal skill and knowledge- I can't be a part of it. I don't know the guy and have not felt him...and his fighting skills are not relevant to -that- discussion now are they?

I like many others on here do appreciate the exercise we have gotton from CIMA - nei gong to be precise.
It just gets a bit silly when a group of people continue to set them selves as a cut above and assert no one else "has it" or "knows it". And that's what seems to be the case here.

They are a cut above many.
They are also still below others well.
If your current level is not self evidently above most MA'ers you have encountered then your idea of "more training" need to apply to you as well. I have never once asserted no one else has "it." Are you nuts? Not even close. I don't know who you are referring to. Its certianly isn't me. This stuff is old and is in several cultures.
I am not concerned with who and where, I am more interested in what and how. And in case you missed it, I openly share what we do and try to help people to improve. I train people to be able to stop people like me, so the idea of you trying to tell me I want to come across as "top dog" over someone else is ...what did you call it... "a bit silly"... to cast my way. I have better things to do in my life than to try and play king of the sandbox. I find the methods intriquing. Sort of like a game of physical chess. Who is better at it changes constantly. Hopefully you are pursuing your particular "it" like we are.

Like you say it is about the effort - it sounds like you have made great efforts in your own training. Maybe you should give your own efforts and time more credit than what you may think is specialized training available to only a tiny tiny group, such as you.
i think the methods are out there to be taken up, without necessarily going half way round the world to get them - not that they are on every doorstep either. the rest is up to the individual. I continually get the impression of 'secret' method when reading some posts.. when really the only secret is lots of training.

Want to point to where I said anything contrary to this? It seems to me I continually remind people (even right here a few posts back) that
a) good grapplers are numbered in the thousands many unsung and unknown and have been around for decades.
b) so are those who understand internal training-though fewer in number I would guess.
c) Those who combined them- though I do believe are far fewer in number than that, are also out there to train with.
I think you need to go back and revisit both my posts and my intentions. The views you expressed are certainly not my own.

Can you say something about your exercises. I can't imagine them being all that different to what's out there. I assume you didn't creat them in a vacuum.

I have many times here in these pages. I don't have the time to go find them. I don't go into great detail accept in person and I try not to do one time show and tells. If people don't want to commit to coming at least a few times a year I don't want to commit to wasting my own damn time on them for free either. But as you say this stuff is everywhere so I am sure you are doing what I do and are possibly even better at it than I am-who knows.

It's maybe a case of you being a big strong guy who's a damn good skilled fighter too. I'm also aware that internal methods can cause a 'sea change' feeling in people on different levels. And of course if i didn't beleive from experience that you get solid improvements with this the kind of training I've found in IMA I wouldn't still be doing it. Nor do I think they are the kind of thing I'd pick up in your average Karate class for example.

Big strong guy? Well, I've not had the experience of someone mistaking my power for muscle. It is usually just the opposite, but whatever. And that would include some more educated folks like more than a few master level Japanese and ICMA teachers. one of whom invited me to come live with him in China to train. And two of the Japanese teachers I wound up teaching some of my training methods to, one is coming here again tommorrow. But again lest you continue to misconstrue and reinterpret what I actually do say...I do not believe I am unique or special in the big picture. I do what I do and let others be the judge of what's out there. I'm more concerned with whether or not - I - improve in any given year or if I am just kidding myself. There is still sooo much I am dissapointed in-in my own training. But hey-it's only Budo I am looking forward to the next twenty years and some possibe improvement.
Good luck in your training
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby cloudz on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 am

Of course good luck you too Dan, In lots of respects I'm just trying to get to know you better, where you're coming from, what you do. No disrespect intended, when I said "big strong guy" it doesn't mean necessarily that your strenght/power isn't refined or anything.

I struggle to get anything on my own instructor when I grapple him. He's a big strong guy too, I don't say that to detract from any other of his attributes. But that in itself gives him an advantage - other things being equal. Which they're probaly not as it stands.

From my own pov I don't get a lot of mileage out of the internal/external dichotomy these days. Methods and skills tend to be on a sliding scale of those. Our definitions being important. I try to keep it simple.

Nei (internal) = mental
Wei(external) = physical

fixing martial artists or arts in these categories doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What may make sense to most of us that train in the IMA's such as taiji etc. is that the methods and skills we emphasise in turn emphasise the mind by default or intentionally infuse the method with a mindfull practice. With that base to speak of I think is where some methods found in IMA became more 'refined' so to speak on some levels. Apart from the plethora of methods to develop and condition the body we can discuss, I think the most pertinent aspect to it all is how this mindful practice allows one to feel and control oneself better - developing that mind-body fine motor control to as deep level as possible.

All arts it must be said have skills that fall into both mental and physical categories. And one of the most difficult things in all these kind of discussions is to define "internal skill" or what is meant when some one uses the word in relation to MA.

Cheers and all the best.
George
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That