using an jin to seal an opponents root?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

using an jin to seal an opponents root?

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:56 am

I was just thinking of a previous experience that I had when I put on a push hands seminar with a local teacher a few years ago.
He had the ability to use an jin to seal people's root into the ground so that they were essentially trapped and couldn't move freely.
Does anyone know how he might have done this?
At the time both me and one of my friends who has some descent ph skill could not do anything when he used this technique. It was quite strange and I'm just wondering how he did it?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: using an jin to seal an opponents root?

Postby Ba-men on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:00 am

Does it only work in Fixed step

Was he using it to set up a bounce (I.e a sharp An Jing straight at the floor?
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby chimerical tortoise on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:21 am

I can't talk about jing, but in terms of yongchun I have had similar experiences in sticky hands. Practitioners with a good grasp of "nim tau" (念头) have a very stable intent in their handwork; upon contact it is impossible to move your hands, let alone maintain structure or defend/attack. The sensation feels like you're trapped, and if you move you will get hit.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Ben on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Wish I could help you, I don't think I've ever felt anything like that before.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:08 pm

was he a wu style guy, mix?
johnrieber

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:13 pm

Mix,
It does sound like he was using an-jing (obscuring energy). It's downward pressure that is generated by your own root to the ground, coming up your center and spine, over and down into your partner's to the ground at his feet. You're compressing him through his spine. You can transmit through your arms, shoulders, chest or even the top of your head, among other energy output points. Your whole body is engaged in the process.
Last edited by Interloper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Ba-men wrote:Does it only work in Fixed step

Was he using it to set up a bounce (I.e a sharp An Jing straight at the floor?

Not sure, it was quite a few years ago. I recall that I tried to shuffle my feet around a bit and couldn't really move out of it, but it was in a fixed step situation.

John: no, Yang from Sam Massich's lineage (oddly enough).

Interloper: cool. Was pretty sure it was an, as it had a pushing down feel to it, but that confirms my suspicions. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:03 pm

I have never experienced that in my life. I have not seen that been used on any SC match either. My teacher also said that he had never experienced that in his life. I had a discussion on this subject with the Beijing PE University SC/Judo/wrestling coach Mr. Wang De-Yin and he also had never seen that used in his life time.

As long as your legs are free, one point contact throw is too easy to escape by your footwork.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:18 pm

John W,
If you meet up with Mike Sigman when he's in Austin, you could ask him to demonstrate this application of an-jing for you to feel.
Last edited by Interloper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm

johnwang wrote:I have never experienced that in my life. I have not seen that been used on any SC match either. My teacher also said that he had never experienced that in his life. I had a discussion on this subject with the Beijing PE University SC/Judo/wrestling coach Mr. Wang De-Yin and he also had never seen that used in his life time.

As long as your legs are free, one point contact throw is too easy to escape by your footwork.

It should be noted that I was pretty new to martial arts practice at the time this was done to me.
I'm not sure whether it would work anymore.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:25 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:It should be noted that I was pretty new to martial arts practice at the time this was done to me.

I didn't want to upset you by saying, "Your skill may have to be much higher than your opponent in order to make your An Jing work like this". :)
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
johnwang wrote:I have never experienced that in my life. I have not seen that been used on any SC match either. My teacher also said that he had never experienced that in his life. I had a discussion on this subject with the Beijing PE University SC/Judo/wrestling coach Mr. Wang De-Yin and he also had never seen that used in his life time.

It should be noted that I was pretty new to martial arts practice at the time this was done to me.

Mix, you'd be amazed at how few people know how to deal with getting stuffed into their own feet. :D
But once you learn how to use your own body with an-jing, you can reverse their anjing back onto them, or else prevent them from applying it on you from the get-go.....if your structure is superior to theirs. If you're equal in skill, then the quicker guy wins. It's kind of fun to play with.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:29 pm

haha, it would be interesting to push with the teacher again and see what he can do to me now :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:30 pm

It seems like the easiest thing to do would be just to drop your hands, circle back up, and use some other technique to draw the opponent's hands back up to a higher part of their body.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:33 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:haha, it would be interesting to push with the teacher again and see what he can do to me now :D

If you ever do... VIDEOS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. ;D
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That