HorseShit

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

HorseShit

Postby Jake on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:21 am

I want to be able to do this.... But do I need to be a fat slob and have a pony tail to make it work?

No wonder comments are dis-abled...

Jesus ... Look at that Cheese belly fer Christ's sake!!! Part 2...

To me this is just one step short of an "empty force" demo.

You'd think with all the hopping around they do they'd at least be in better shape. ::)

Unbelievable.
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Re: HorseShit

Postby everything on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:32 am

I think it's good to cooperatively test rooting but I thought the one guy was going to go over or through the railing, lol. That would've made for a good video.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:12 am

Jake wrote:I want to be able to do this....

You can do it. You can use a wall to push away yourself from. Its nothing strange about the clips, its just a cooperative drill. They dont explain very well what they are doing, that is about what I can complain about. But Gearge Xu says he use "qi" when he projects people this way, so I think even if these guys are confused and dont know what they are doing, they are at least more honest tham many who calls themselves "Masters".

From about 3.40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mGK_ETAPY
Last edited by Bao on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:11 am

Ah!, so THIS is what happens if a person with internal skills, but no martial skill, were to fight to truely skilled fighter... now I see..... the attacker would just bounce off like this... it's all so clear now... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm

GrahamB wrote:Ah!, so THIS is what happens if a person with internal skills, but no martial skill, were to fight to truely skilled fighter... now I see..... the attacker would just bounce off like this... it's all so clear now... ;D

Oh yah, sure Graham. ::)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:25 pm

GrahamB wrote:Ah!, so THIS is what happens if a person with internal skills, but no martial skill, were to fight to truely skilled fighter... now I see..... the attacker would just bounce off like this... it's all so clear now... ;D

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. :D
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby gungfusifu on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:38 pm

I really wish that I had a video clip of Michael Rosario Graycar shoulder bumping me all the way across his school, and I have to say, I never really felt the impact, only the acceration of moving backwards so fast that I litereally couldnt stop , and had to use all of my will to stay on my feet and not fall and break my tailbone, until I reached the other side of his school.. I nver ever felt that before.

He is located in Norristown Pa.

here is the URL to his website: http://www.taijiboxing.com/
gungfusifu
Santi

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:02 pm

My "oh yah sure" was in regards to Graham's "it's all so clear now." ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Long ago, on a bulletin board far, far away (but strangely like this one), I suggested you do your short force on a heavy punching bag, such as boxers use, and see if you can impress something that has no mind or will, thus is unable to cooperate.

Force is force. If you pull it up through your ground root via your waist and spine--it still needs to manifest as force.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Some of those moves the first two guys did sort of looked like backward 'moon walking' dance steps. 8-)

And I think it would be a good thing for fat and out of shape guys to be able to bounce stuff off of them, because they're probably too damned slow to get out of the way of any serious incoming attacks otherwise. :-\

Doc ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby shmirsh on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 pm

how is what these guys are doing any different from (for example) the first five seconds of this?

What am I missing - why does old chinese guy moonwalking not get the same response as fat western guy moonwalking?

(taken from this post http://www.emptyflower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=354)
Last edited by shmirsh on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmirsh
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:27 pm

The old Chinese guy is more famous ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 am

shmirsh wrote:how is what these guys are doing any different from (for example) the first five seconds of this?

What am I missing - why does old chinese guy moonwalking not get the same response as fat western guy moonwalking?

(taken from this post http://www.emptyflower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=354)

their reactions are all silly:-)

from my point of view that reaction can only happen if you are mentally trained to run backwards and stomp your foot.
i can see that ma choses good angles to apply force BUT it is way over the top the reactions the students give.
reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am still looking for any human that can cause this reaction in me without my cooperation.

for those of you who like this type of practice i have a few questions.

1) how does this practice relate to self defense in the context of what a american in america will need to defend themselves from an american thug who has never heard of chi but has stomped a few heads in his time?

2)can what is shown in the ma clip and others like it be done to anyone in a self defense situation, or is this practice just for teaching a idea?
bruce
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 am

bruce wrote:
shmirsh wrote:how is what these guys are doing any different from (for example) the first five seconds of this?

their reactions are all silly:-)

from my point of view that reaction can only happen if you are mentally trained to run backwards and stomp your foot.
i can see that ma choses good angles to apply force BUT it is way over the top the reactions the students give.
reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am still looking for any human that can cause this reaction in me without my cooperation.

for those of you who like this type of practice i have a few questions.

1) how does this practice relate to self defense in the context of what a american in america will need to defend themselves from an american thug who has never heard of chi but has stomped a few heads in his time?

2)can what is shown in the ma clip and others like it be done to anyone in a self defense situation, or is this practice just for teaching a idea?

The last push in the clip you posted looks pretty real to me.

I am pretty much in agreement with you though. I am not really sure what kind of practical self defense this would help with by itself. Mixed with other practices this type of training is probably useful.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:20 am

sometimes students of a great teacher act like stupid fools for no reason.

it is easy to regain one's balance.

no magic force will stop your legs from properly regaining balance.

only your imagination of your teacher's magical powers will do that.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Next

Return to Been There Done That