Visit to strange and dave

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Visit to strange and dave

Postby Overlord on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 am

I am glad to catch up with strange in Singapore and Dave in Taiwan. Both of them have been kind enough to give me some pointers.

This is some of the ideas i learn from strange:
1. Importance of zz
2. Use your body as another hand
3. Continuous flow of hitting, eg sheng dong ji xi
4. Why strange thinks gingerfish is not ready yet for sparing
5. His work on novel of Dai xinyi and how lhbf application mentioned in that passage
There is a very serious attitude hidden behind strange friendly face. Serious and respect is what i can say about strange's mentality to lhbf. Unlike gingerfish showed in the sparring clips, a single flick of hand send the force deep to my forearm and it hurts.

From Dave, we had good chat and walk about CKS memorial hall, he told me:
1. Master Luo is very superb Master and his experience with ji jing
2. This guy doing Taiji was trying to let one of his german students punching it in the chest, and end up in hospital
3. Passing by another group of lhbf class
4. Why we ima people should meet up more often.

Tired, talk later

Over
Overlord

Re: Visit to strange and dave

Postby Strange on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 am

you are too kind :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 am

So, you got your forearms feckin destroyed, eh? ;D

It sounds like a good meeting.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am

Awesome!
I'd love to meet up with either of those gents. They both seem sincere and to me that is the most important thing. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby GingerFISH on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Overlord wrote:...Unlike gingerfish showed in the sparring clips, a single flick of hand send the force deep to my forearm and it hurts...

Unless your arm is particularly tough, anyone can be taught to relax and do that in 30sec.
In 30sec, anyone can be taught how to slash eyes with fingers.
Also in 30sec, anyone can be taught how to hit a head effectively with knuckles (not with fists).

And you guys just still don't understand. Our gatherings are not about winning or showing off power. Some gatherings perhaps are but ours are not.
Spar before talk. BTW, spar =/= fight.
GingerFISH
Mingjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 pm

GingerFISH wrote:
Overlord wrote:...Unlike gingerfish showed in the sparring clips, a single flick of hand send the force deep to my forearm and it hurts...

Unless your arm is particularly tough, anyone can be taught to relax and do that in 30sec.
In 30sec, anyone can be taught how to slash eyes with fingers.
Also in 30sec, anyone can be taught how to hit a head effectively with knuckles (not with fists).

And you guys just still don't understand. Our gatherings are not about winning or showing off power. Some gatherings perhaps are but ours are not.

Let it die dude.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Being shown is not being taught, being taught is not being able to do.

just wanted to point that out for posterities sake :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby GingerFISH on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:53 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Let it die dude.

Not if you guys keep mentioning my name dude!
GingerFISH
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:51 pm

GingerFISH wrote:

For sure he can't not defend himself if people keep talking about him. Deuce if someone mentioned your name on a forum would you just let it die?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 pm

yeah sure mix, i'd love to meet up; as long as you do not come in a hello kitty suit. ;)

yes you r right sincerity is very important. for me one component of sincerity is the amount of talk match the amount of skill. i'm not against anyone talking, but if you talk more than what you can really do... it just deceitful. and if someone says you should keep quiet, they are actually trying to help you. but for these ppl its hard to listen cos they r too full of themselves.

Of course it helps if you do not throw shit around. i like the israeli method - fighting terror with terror; i know its not that they want to, but because its the only language that terrorists understand. yes the ppl who commit terrorism, hide among women and children putting them in harms way, AND THEN take the moral high ground. what can one say? wow, just wow.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby GingerFISH on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Strange wrote:...
yes you r right sincerity is very important. for me one component of sincerity is the amount of talk match the amount of skill. i'm not against anyone talking, but if you talk more than what you can really do... it just deceitful. and if someone says you should keep quiet, they are actually trying to help you. but for these ppl its hard to listen cos they r too full of themselves.

I don't see your sparring skill. And I don't know who did. In this sense, you are doing more talking. I walk my talk. And if resources permit, I will continue to push for IMA/CMA/MMA gatherings where everyone must spar before they talk. Such gatherings proved to be beneficial to all participants, no matters what their levels are.

Current CMA systems, IMA in particular, lack sparring practices in their trainings. (Starting I guess from the eighties.) It's just pathetic.

(Again, I will stop talking if you guys stop mentioning or implying my name.)
GingerFISH
Mingjing

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 pm

I'd like to meet both strange and dave. strange's form looks really good.

hey gingerfish,

I just checked out the other lhbf topic here in btdt. saw the vids overlord posted on page one. that's where we train as well! have we met before? like at one of those open mat meetups?
Ian

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:40 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
GingerFISH wrote:

For sure he can't not defend himself if people keep talking about him. Deuce if someone mentioned your name on a forum would you just let it die?

Yep I would. Its the internet, its serious buisness, not. This was already beat to death, sent to hell, and condemned by the POWERS of the FLOWER (mods). So yea I would let it die. The others should do the same too.They can argue ad infinitum and ad nauseum over PMs if they like.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby GingerFISH on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Ian wrote:...

hey gingerfish,

I just checked out the other lhbf topic here in btdt. saw the vids overlord posted on page one. that's where we train as well! have we met before? like at one of those open mat meetups?

Guess we never met. Less than 5% who came were of IMA background. Only 3 so far know some LHBF, incl. me.
Our next gathering will be on Feb 22nd, Sun, around noon time. Please PM me if you would like to come!
GingerFISH
Mingjing

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:34 pm

GingerFISH wrote:
Ian wrote:...

hey gingerfish,

Guess we never met. Less than 5% who came were of IMA background. Only 3 so far know some LHBF, incl. me.
Our next gathering will be on Feb 22nd, Sun, around noon time. Please PM me if you would like to come!

I don't do IMA I do RMA. We train at that corner in kowloon park every saturday, 3pm. Come along if you're interested. It's free. I think you already know Ali or Luce.

Btw I can't go to the gathering because my friend signed me up for a race which takes place (I think) on the 23rd. Basically trail running for 8 hours so I want to be fresh. :)
Ian

Next

Return to Been There Done That