Shaolin-do Hsing-I

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Shaolin-do Hsing-I

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 am

Sifu Kevin Knight doing Hsing I

http://www.phillyshaolin.com/index.html

This s the first time I've seen a photo of their Hsing-I. ::)
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Shaolin-do Hsing-I

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 am

:o

His hair is out-fucking-standing!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:08 am

I wont comment on the form.
Why is he wearing a Karate uniform and black belt, Chinese systems dont use belts
Honan from what I've seen is 10 animals[Shanxi/Hebei are 12 animals]
Shaolin and Hsing yi are distinct and separate arts, each has its own method of internal power
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 am

is that stance a little wide or is that me???
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:28 am

According to the info under the Hsing-I section of that website, they practice Hsing-I "Katas".....
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 pm

looks like some strange karate version of fair lady works shuttles from yang chen fu's form
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 pm

More likely their Pao chen ?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 pm

KEND wrote: Why is he wearing a Karate uniform and black belt, Chinese systems dont use belts

Some good schools in Taiwan used belts and judo uniforms. Many of the TST schools use belts. I don't think it matters what one wears.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Bill wrote:Some good schools in Taiwan used belts and judo uniforms. Many of the TST schools use belts. I don't think it matters what one wears.

Agreed, although the vast majority of CMA schools don't use Japanese style uniforms and belts.

If uniforms are required at all in a CMA school, they will generally be the frog buttoned Chinese style uniforms, or perhaps a Jing-Mo style uniform at some schools. And if ranks are designated by color grading, a satin sash is more commonly seen than is a karate or taekwondo style belt.

The stance looks wide primarily because the photo was taken from a side angle view, rather than straight on from the front, IMO. Although the Five Element Fist postures can be performed with heavy treading short step stances, medium three step stances, and long step stances (as Mr. Knight uses in the photo), it is certainly more common to see the postures depicted in either a short or medium stance than in a long stance. He appears to have more training in a karate style art than he does in a kung-fu style art, IMO.

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fpOAkh ... annel_page

here is a clip of some more shaolin do hsing i. i think i have several outside influences including some of you here guiding my hsing i practice as what i show on the clip is not exactly what i was taught ... it was taken about a year ago and i would like to think i have improved since then. but the fact is i learned it from "shaolin do".

it looks like this is the first "internal" only shaolin do school ...

man i am the last one to talk shit especially about this subject but if they are teaching liuhsing http://www.phillyshaolin.com/liuhsing.html wow they just learned it last year in a seminar format and from review videos etc so i do not see how they could be teaching it already.
this is the internal art sin the has been talking about for years but had taught to nobody at all until last year.

this in my opinion is one of the problems with shaolin do is that people teacher things they do not really understand.
:-(
Last edited by bruce on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:19 pm

ps anyone who has been on ma forums for a while should know the whole bs reason given for the gi and ranks ... lol ... that is true btdt! :P
Last edited by bruce on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Bruce
Thanks, I'll check it out your clip when I get home.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:34 pm

"Liu Hsing Chuan (Liuxingquan)

Liu Hsing Chuan (which translates as "Meteor Fist") is a little known style. Its origins trace back to Yue Fei, and it shares a common ancestor style with Hsing I called Sin I Chuan (or "Fist of Heart and Will").

According to legend, Yue Fei invented the style of Sin I in the twelfth century. After serving as a general for the Song dynasty, he was betrayed and executed, and Sin I was outlawed. More than three centuries after his death, a manual for Sin I appeared and was brought to the Shaolin temple. The monks divided the style into two parts: Hsing I and Liu Hsing. The former was publicly taught and has become relatively well known. The latter was again divided into two parts: Yin and Yang. The Yin side, called "Dragon Twirls the May Flowers", was taught as Eagle Claw and Snake Fist. The Yang side, called "Cannon Fist", was kept secret and taught only to very advanced masters.

Our curriculum contains four katas, two from the Yin side (Eagle Claw and Snake) and two from the Yang side (Cannon Fist and Cannon Leg)."

wtf? ??? :-X
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Liu Hsing Chuan (which translates as "Meteor Fist") is a little known style. Its origins trace back to Yue Fei, and it shares a common ancestor style with Hsing I called Sin I Chuan (or "Fist of Heart and Will").

According to legend, Yue Fei invented the style of Sin I in the twelfth century. After serving as a general for the Song dynasty, he was betrayed and executed, and Sin I was outlawed. More than three centuries after his death, a manual for Sin I appeared and was brought to the Shaolin temple. The monks divided the style into two parts: Hsing I and Liu Hsing. The former was publicly taught and has become relatively well known. The latter was again divided into two parts: Yin and Yang. The Yin side, called "Dragon Twirls the May Flowers", was taught as Eagle Claw and Snake Fist. The Yang side, called "Cannon Fist", was kept secret and taught only to very advanced masters.

All things aside, I wish when I lived in Philly I learned that shit. That's some advanced sounding stuff, my friends.

To think I could have learned Sin I (XinYi?. A.k.a. the combo of eagle claw AND snake fist, mixed with cannon fist.. DAMN).

EDIT: Hmmm in my 15 minutes looking for a pic of an eagle holding a snake while riding/being shot out of a cannon to compliment the style, others have pointed the style out as well. Seems it is quite popular indeed.
Last edited by Joe L. on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 pm

GrahamB wrote:
"Liu Hsing Chuan (Liuxingquan)

Our curriculum contains four katas, two from the Yin side (Eagle Claw and Snake) and two from the Yang side (Cannon Fist and Cannon Leg)."

wtf? ??? :-X

that is about all that can be said about that :-[
bruce
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That