Shooter, Graham, JAB, strawdog and others discuss things

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Shooter, Graham, JAB, strawdog and others discuss things

Postby CaliG on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:53 pm

baguaboy wrote:
Docherty's guys are the only others I know of who are doing their thing in the ring. He follows 5-steps as well, and that is the catalyst to the process.

Don't believe the hype! Funny I've trained with some of these guys and some of the TOP ones seem to spend their time training Pancreas, Shootboxing too (and more of it including kettlebells etc) - but maybe they are just testing their Tai Chi ha ha ha ha ha ha - or have they discovered the limits and come to the honest conclusion that there are other systems?

I'm not out to flame you Bruce - as i think you write good stuff most of the time... I commend your willingness to fight, build a school of reputation. I think you see too black and white that's all...

I do know the feeling of bringing IMA sensitivity into other disciplines, and I've done well and it does work... but not all the time... I think I'm honest enough to admit that!

Well if you want to go fishing you go where the fish are.

Not too many TJQ people are excellent grapplers, kickboxers, etc... so if you really want to get good at those things you have to play with others who are good at those things so usually that means having to go to another school. I don't think that means someone's IMA is limited, it just means someone is being scientific about their own development.

Always remember you're not really doing a style, you are doing your own style.
CaliG

Postby JAB on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Fong
Tim would be just as pissed. With your logic I can as an admin:
-Go in an change someones post to read:
"Fong raped a 10 year old."
And you would have no problem with that????? Obviously an extreme example, but valid point none the less. Changing peoples posts without permission is bullshit, and that is EXACTLY what happened at EF!!! Grow up!

And Shooter you are not the ONLY one doing IMA hosting MMA comps bro! Try not to hurt yourself patting your own back!
Last edited by JAB on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAB

Re: what is MMA missing?

Postby CaliG on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:12 pm

cerebus wrote:
Shooter wrote:Docherty's guys are the only others I know of who are doing their thing in the ring.

Well, here in the U.S. there's also William C.C. Chen's people, and C.K. Chu. Probably a few others as well.

I agree, there are a lot of other teachers teaching how the martial arts side really works in the TJQ world they usually don't have very many students and are the ones teaching outside of the spotlight.
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:14 pm

This thread sucks.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Thats a trick statement. Nobody does what Tim does.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm

from what I understand, jake, the offending admin already apologized to you for it, and knows he was wrong in doing so. It is only policy to edit other people's posts for things that are known policies (ie, captioning sifuZ pics in an off-color manner, etc). or to edit ghey pictures into people's posts in a funny manner ;D. he was wrong to edit your post like he did.

however, your post was DEFINITELY crossing the line into trolling behavior--language deliberately worded to inflame other users. YOU were wrong to post it. This is an adult forum where we do not bicker like 5 year olds... like they do at other forums. What should he should have said is this:

I don't care if this is BTDT or no, your post was trolling shooter. cut it out, or you will be banned. Please edit your post to remove your offensive remark, and stop doing this in the future. please try to keep your language under control.

Now this is a warning for real. editing was not cool. the administration apologizes to you for that. I like you man, and you give a great perspective in most of your posts. I would only ask you have some discretion with some of the things you say here, and please try not to lose your cool and throw insults like a drunken sailor. It lessens you.

-Fong
Last edited by nianfong on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby JAB on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:34 pm

No one trolled anyone. Shooter was acting arrogant and I called him on it.

I guess I am the one that has changed, not the Rum Soaked Fist.

Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby baguaboy on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:49 am

Well if you want to go fishing you go where the fish are.

Not too many TJQ people are excellent grapplers, kickboxers, etc... so if you really want to get good at those things you have to play with others who are good at those things so usually that means having to go to another school. I don't think that means someone's IMA is limited, it just means someone is being scientific about their own development.

Always remember you're not really doing a style, you are doing your own style.

Some traditional teachers might find this attitude disrespectful - to come and participate with your own syllabus in mind and ignore what technique you are told to do. Many systems have IMA type elements of high level skill to be taught but they appear further to the end of the curriculum. I think this one of the reason that MMA is evolving faster as they 'steal' whats useful and move on... and why some traditional teachers are 'esoteric'... Right now the new martial arts seem to have the edge of popularity, but they may evolve to come back are realise the benefits of the more traditional IMA type disciplines. There seems to be such a thorn in the side of so many IMA people on this board who fundamentally dislike MMA and say they are traditional and keep the faith that they have all the tools they need... but cross train and do 'secret' training to keep an edge! I think its dishonest to say your pure Tai Chi syllabus is 'pure' when you research other disciplines that have lineages that deserve respect! - Quid pro Quo!

I find it like 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' - staying purist and slowing their own development down in the process!

Sure there seem to be a lot of meat heads in MMA and that is why the IMA types dislike it; but meat heads are to be found in any sport type discipline - unfortunately martial arts in general seems to tractor beam them in from all angles!
baguaboy
Anjing

Postby cloudz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:20 am

Bagauboy/ Nick

Stop digging a hole for yourself mate.. I train with Neil Rossiak on and off - at least one of the guys I think you were talking about from Docherties "top" guys you've trained with, and do some other cross training myself and train on my own. I wouldn't consider myself pure anything, though I'd consider tai chi and straight up boxing my main things so to speak - that whole idea of purity is hogwash bullshit anyway in my opinion. Stop generalizing and lumping people together is what i would say.

Neil has moved on from what Docherty teaches sure. He told me he trained with the guys from shootfighters gym for example back in the day - but back then the scene (MMA) was starting out and they would basically get together and spar - so sure there's no joke to saying he was in part testing his tai chi as well as doing some cross training into the bargain. You may be aware that back then Neil competed succesfully in Vale Tudo. The ethos and name of his club is renaissance and I agree wholeheartedly with it. I think tai chi has all you need for san shou/ sanda. Kicking is a little limited, and i know a guy from Oxford Wudang that added the side kick to his game. He competed in 23 full contact san shou bouts in the UK and only lost once. No cross training in other styles was needed.

This isn't to say you can't improve what you got with stuff from other arts - far from it. But there is a point when "style" just gets in the way. Cali G is right - we all really have to take care of our own style and what works for us.

MMA is somewhat different in my opinion. You need a bit more - at least I'd want a bit more. You could still base a game around the strategies of sprawl and brawl or ground and pound if you wanted. Though i happen to think sub grappling is pretty darn awesome..

There seems to be such a thorn in the side of so many IMA people on this board who fundamentally dislike MMA and say they are traditional and keep the faith that they have all the tools they need... but cross train and do 'secret' training to keep an edge! I think its dishonest to say your pure Tai Chi syllabus is 'pure' when you research other disciplines that have lineages that deserve respect! - Quid pro Quo!

I find it like 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' - staying purist and slowing their own development down in the process!

Got any example to hand or in mind regard the second part of the bolded texted, the bit that starts "I think its dishonest...."

Pure is a silly, corrupt concept - in the Big Picture of martial arts. If there's those that want that, and to stay in their pure little box - great, I say leave them to it..In itself not the worst thing in the world. But I don't hear about their secret training either.. Unlike your good self it would seem.

I think you've got it wrong for the most part, whilst i think there are different types in CMA/CIMA the guys that do cross train for the most part are open about it and accepting of it. A lot also I think would say they are 'bringing back' the real traditional type training and using it to in part adapt what they do.. There are clips up of training from Neils classes on you tube as well as footage of one of his guys fighting san shou, you can compare it to the kind of training that went down in HK in Cheng Ting Hung younger days. Not that different at all really..

I put forward it is / was traditional to cross train back in the day in China, mix things, borrow things. And for many it was traditional to test yourself with other groups/people in some form or other. We should be updating training methods, where we see fit. Culture may well be different though. Some things change (usually surface stuff), at the same time a lot stays the same - the meat and potatoes. reading some Yiquan interviews these issues have been around for quite some time

In other words,
Same shit, different day.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:45 am

baguaboy is reflecting his goals and path of practice, you are reflecting yours, i am reflecting mine

in other words
different shit, same bucket
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 am

Difference being I didn't reflect my 'shit' on others - be they individuals or groups.

or did I ....?

But yea, I get it.

yusef wrote:baguaboy is reflecting his goals and path of practice

But this bit ?

There seems to be such a thorn in the side of so many IMA people on this board who fundamentally dislike MMA and say they are traditional and keep the faith that they have all the tools they need... but cross train and do 'secret' training to keep an edge! I think its dishonest to say your pure Tai Chi syllabus is 'pure' when you research other disciplines that have lineages that deserve respect! - Quid pro Quo!

I respectfully disagree with the basis if not the conclusion and just pointing it out is all, and at the same time offering my side of the shit bucket for peer review.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:28 am

tai chi for san shou / san da

- Max Chen
- Tiffany Chen
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:32 am

hey George..

I disagree with NIck but our words really reflect us, rather than the truth about some mythically pure art, or anything in that respect.

The one thing to say about that last 'cutting your nose off'... The principles can remain the same and be applied in new ways to adapt to the new context. For example if I use a wave power to strike whilst standing, can I also use this whilst on the ground. If I can then the art is pure.If I cannot, and I have to take a ground striking method from another art, then it is not pure. You are then teaching XXXX Family style Tai CHi Chuan.

btw If I ever get even vaguely good enough to teach something I will call it Ctulhu Combat Arts. I know I have no purity in my fighting. :)

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby baguaboy on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:33 am

Hey George,

Your JCB maybe ready - but I'll elaborate! :)

Agree about San Da - I trained a lot with Tony Felix and a bit Kamal Lock who both did PTCC. I don't think I've even met Neil.
I never said Dan's Tai Chi people were pure either...
I think what these guys (on this thread) have a bee in their bonnet about is MMA in a Octagon - cage etc... 'what is missing from it' - before it got derailed by admin. Some are arguing that their IMA has everything - and yet had to go out and 'research' other martial arts to 'prove' their own prerogative! The irony is they ARE MMA too if they cross train - and all the dogma about principles is just that. Some CIMA guys seem to think they have the monopoly on 'Internal' - and i know that ain't true from experience!

I think we are on the same page - its just that i was being a bit ironic with my post, since Bruce was talking all about ALL you need in there in IMA and laying into Graham etc. While Bruce may see himself as the avant garde, his prerogative is undermining the whole argument of whats missing from MMA! He DOES - DID cross train and may read more into his IMA than there may be there! Sure its great to innovate - bet lets not try and pretend IMA is all you need - it sounds like a fallacy to me! It sounds like bold marketing to me!

Here is the megaphone:
Come and train this IMA because we have the answers - MMA is for Meatheads - we are more sophisticated but not MMA ....errr p.s. even though we cross train a bit... as we were getting beat up a lot...

Dig up your Wudang syllabus from and see what it says about ground fighting; I bet you it says next to ZILCH! Anyway it sounds like your o.k with that anyway, but i think it demonstrates what i'm trying to say...

If you want to be good on the ground - go down to the Gracie academy or Fight factory etc...

Go and cross train but do it with a humble heart and respect what your being taught by acknowledging what it taught you! Hey I'm fine with it - I have no 'cross' to carry :)

And for the greater guys than us - There is a reason to do more than cross train - to start a new syllabus at page 1 - like Tim Cartmell (BJJ) - Tony Felix(Silat) - you don't just plug a hole in your own game; you learn a whole lot more!
baguaboy
Anjing

Postby baguaboy on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 am

The one thing to say about that last 'cutting your nose off'... The principles can remain the same and be applied in new ways to adapt to the new context. For example if I use a wave power to strike whilst standing, can I also use this whilst on the ground. If I can then the art is pure.If I cannot, and I have to take a ground striking method from another art, then it is not pure. You are then teaching XXXX Family style Tai CHi Chuan.

Hi Yusuf,

I think i said that SOME of the principles work - but not ALL. Some IMA guys seem to coin everything in their own paradigm, rather than admit they might have been shown it by a supposedly - un-internal teacher! That's the problem I have with this bravado I've been hearing about being more sophisticated than MMA etc BS.

Anyway more than most have not even had the balls to do full contact competition, and i know why some that did plugged holes in their strategy - as they probably got HURT because their IMA syllabus had holes in it!

Anyway - i did not answer your post the other day - sorry - I was doing MMA with T.Felix and his son Wesley in East West studios - then i had two babies and pop went my regular practice! :) Now doing Gao Yi-Sheng Bagua and bits of Judo when i can.... and want to do more Silat with Tony Felix in Camden.... but don't have a life!
baguaboy
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That