test no topic

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: test no topic

Postby Dr.Rob on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:21 am

Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:24 am

Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:25 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:50 am

grzegorz wrote:
Michael wrote:
Kettlebells4U wrote:Image

The manly sport of fooot 'cause sometimes the balls seem to be missing.

I hate Ronaldo.

Can you imagine being like 20 y.o., rich, famous, handsome? I'd probably hate me, too if that happened :D
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:51 am

Dr.Rob wrote:Image

I just learned the current drones can just follow you on auto-pilot and take footage like that at the touch of a few buttons.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:25 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:36 am

thanks - BTDT though, for me... :) But a nice simplified explanation; I'm gonna forward this to my son...

I'm still claiming that the experiment itself is fundamentally flawed because there are simply not enough tools (i.e. we're unable to make them) to properly measure/observe what's going on, and the Heisenberg's principle and the rest of the probability-based theory is just a mathematical "way around" that inadequacy. It will (likely) eventually be taken apart completely, just like the past theories of flat Earth, geocentric model, ether, etc. were eventually taken apart by means of introduction of better measurement tools. This one (and any subsequent ones, progressively) might take longer though, as we're moving further and further away from the scope of humans' immediate perception, "tangibility" of the subject(s) of research.
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:01 am

It may be true that better/different instrumentation might make a difference in the apparent paradox. However, as long as we are restricted to this time-space reference, the results of the experiment are the results. What makes it science is that scientists are like you, and will keep looking. Anyway, this video was different in that it was about more than photons. Imo, it was more concerned with the patterns that photons (and other particles) followed while they were still particles. How do they "know" where they are supposed to go? Or, is this a perception issue? Or, perhaps there's a matrix that is as yet unobserved. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:51 am

Steve James wrote:Or, perhaps there's a matrix that is as yet unobserved. :)

;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:50 am

'Webcam hackers caught me wanking, demanded $10k ransom'

POSTED THU 28 JUL 2016, 2:48PM

One day in Melbourne, when the sun was out and the birds were singing, Matt opened an email and was greeted with a video of a man wanking.

The man was him.

"There I was in all my glory," he told triple j's Veronica & Lewis.

He had been hacked. A 'ransomware' program had infected his computer allowing the hackers to film him through the webcam. He had been filmed in a compromising situation.

Now they wanted money.

"There was an email saying they were going to release footage to all my Facebook friends and people I worked with if I don't pay them money."

"Initially I laughed."

He wrote back. He told them to do their worst and release the footage. But then they replied with a screenshot of his Facebook friends, and personal details from his website. He realised the threat was serious. They asked for $10,000. He began negotiating.

Is this a thing now?

Matt may have been feeling very much alone, but in fact he was part of an emerging trend of ransomware attacks in Australia.

Exact statistics are difficult to come by, as many people who are attacked don't go to police or make their situation public. Security software companies, who may have an interest in exaggerating the threat, say they have detected vast numbers of attacks.

According to one, there were more than 200,000 ransomware attacks in Australia in April-May alone this year. According to another, there were more than one million instances of a single kind of ransomware (CryptoLocker) in Australia in October last year.

It said these attacks resulted in millions of dollars of ransom payments.

The statistics from Australia's very own government cybercrime initiative are a lot lower. It recorded about 4,000 reports of 'scams or fraud' cybercrime in a three-month period at the end of last year.

Basically 'cybercrime' is hard to quantify and we don't have a clear picture. Instead, what we have is a bunch of widely varying statistics and some not very helpful but quite scary and exciting maps showing cyber attacks as they occur around the globe.

Perhaps our most trusty resource for knowing what's going on in the suburban bedrooms and student share-houses of Australia is the good ol' triple j textline:

"I'm a cop in NSW, this happens all the time, a few weeks ago I had three guys in one day come in to report the same thing.. Not much we can do when the baddies live overseas. Feel for you silly boys."

"The exact same thing happened to me, but I transferred around $1000 via wire transfer to the person in the Ukraine. Now in hindsight I know it was the wrong thing to do, but I was tunnel visioned by fear and panic at the time. Nothing ever was sent out online, but I've now had to change my Facebook account name, shut down my LinkedIn out of fear of my work details being revealed and I'm afraid of what may arise in the future should I want to build a LinkedIn profile etc again."

"I had the exact same thing happen to me. Sent me a list of all my contacts and a copy of the video. I stressed out for a while, called the cops they said they couldn't do anything about it. So I ended up bluffing them and said I told everyone that matters to me about the video and couldn't afford to pay them. So they never sent the video."

"My sister in law had to pay ransom to save her online business - her entire livelihood was locked up by these criminals and she felt she had no option but to pay them."

Then we heard from Brendan, a caller whose friend had been blackmailed after meeting a girl online, chatting with her by video, and then being filmed wanking.

"By the time he got to calling us he was basically ready to transfer them all the money he had," Brendan said. "He was pretty embarrassed but the fear of something happening overpowered the embarrassment."

Brendan managed to talk his friend down. He took the phone and messaged the the girl pretending to be a police officer. That was the last they heard.

"I tried to send them the most official message I could," he said.

"I don't know if they ever did buy it."

Just put tape over the camera. It's easy

Apparently this is what Mark Zuckerberg does:

Mark Zuckerberg's laptop's webcam and microphone appear to be taped over.

Which makes you think it's a good idea. But taping over the camera doesn't prevent all kinds of ransomware. It won't block the microphone, meaning conversations or *other noises* could still be recorded and stolen, and it won't stop someone locking up your files.

Philip Seltsikas, a cyber-security expert and associate professor from Sydney, told Veronica & Lewis there was no sure way of defending against ransomware.

He said there were probably a lot more computers infected than we know.

"There's a lot more people than we know because there could be hackers in big centers watching video streams just waiting for something to happen," he said.

This is nuts. Professor Seltsikas said hackers on the other side of the world were watching thousands of Australians through their webcams, and waiting for them to have a wank.

Actually, turns out there's a site where you can already watch the live footage of thousands of CCTV cameras from all over the world.

"All of our computers might currently be infected," the professor said. "If you are worried you should clean the computer, wipe the hard disk and reinstall the operating system."

Simple.

So what happened to Matt?

The hackers, who wrote every second email in French, wanted Matt to send the money to Mali in west Africa. He bartered them down from $10,000 to $3,000.

But then he suddenly changed his mind. He posted this message on Facebook:

Matt's Facebook post
Matt's Facebook post.
Supplied
"I put up a Facebook post and let everyone know I was hacked," he said.

"I let them know they got me in a private moment and they threatened to release a video unless I paid them money. I let everyone know if they get a link to be careful if they click on it, but if they do watch the video, then enjoy."

"It's not something to be ashamed of."

"It wasn't an easy post to put up."

He then had to tell his work colleagues as well. This was awkward, but they told him they had his back, and didn't hear from the ransomware hackers again.

Professor Seltsikas described Matt's strategy as "super brave".

"My own opinion is to not engage at all with the hackers. I wouldn't reply."
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:33 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:15 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:59 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:09 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:20 am

Dr.Rob
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That