the R34L Shaolin....

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: the R34L Shaolin....

Postby Craig on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Dmitri wrote:Looks like they're rehearsing some presentations for competition.

"Modern wushu" has been around long enough by now, a lot of schools do that sort of thing. In that light, I don't see anything particularly "wrong" with what they're doing here at all. :-/

i dunno about you but the modern guys are about a hojillion times better than that.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:40 pm

star wars kid would choke them all out.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:13 pm

nianfong wrote:star wars kid would choke them all out.

QFT
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Mut on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Tao sorry i missed the 'too' in the comment, but it was 'too' bad not just bad. even with a week of working with those guys they would still be awful.

Dmitri, it is not modern wushu they are kung fu guys.

And while they may be rehearsing for comp I don't think so. That is the way they train.
Last edited by Mut on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:34 pm

It's all good, homie. I got nothin but love for all you bitches. :)

Of course, this cat is about to get a rubber band sandwich if it don't stop meowing at the doer and then refusing to go out in the rain.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:40 am

Here is why they are so terrible.

BEHOLD TEHIR MIGHTY MASTER AND HIS INFINITE WISDOM!

And Traditional Shaolin Ground Fighting

And the Hunting Tiger Black Sash form

He has 65 videos to amuse yourselves in all.

From his website.

72 Fists of Shaolin
Around 30 years after Bodhidharma entered the Shaolin Temple, it was burned down. There is very little, almost nothing about this except the record that it was rebuilt again around 600 CE. It was after this rebuilding that Shaolin Kung Fu took on a more martial art turn.

Shaolin felt that it need to be it's own protection and with outside help they developed the first full blown martial art system. It was based around 72 Combinations that could be used individually or strung together against multiple opponents and circumstances. Although it was not just based on fists but included defence, kicks and open hands techniques, it was based on applying a finishing technique that incapacitated most opponents.

Shaolin still did not attack and thus needed to have a good defence. But one attacked they had multiple solutions that could be used against single opponents or in concert against multiple attackers. Each technique had a key tactic. together these techniques were devastating.

170 Moves of Shaolin
It only took Shaolin 20 to 30 years to develop a style that was too effective to be congruent with Buddhist Principles. The 72 Fists needed to be changed into something that allow more methods of control rather than quick endings. They combined size and control movements with the 72 Fists and the Shaolin 170 Moves style was born!

Where 72 Fists sought to make a quick finish to a conflict, 170 Moves seeks to "Hold & Control" an attacker, stopping them from doing any harm to themselves or others. As this can usually only be done with one person at a time, the 72 Fist Kung Fu was still very much needed for multiple opponents. So 170 moves is a joining of a Striking Style and a Holding Style!

This was so successful that it became very, very effective. So much so that it lasted well into the 2nd Millennium.

Draw your own conclusions.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:00 am

I'm pretty sure I taught that dude bagua for about a month.
Maybe thats where he got all those whacky ideas from? :P
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:33 am

In light fo Meir Sharar's latest book, the dude will need to change that bogus history page as it is representative of more of the nonsense in re shaolin temple and it's arts and teh development of those arts.

truth is, nothing is known of tang era stuff and main techs first documented in early 1500's is staff fighting methods. NO empty hand stuff until end of ming and during qing eras.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:37 pm

i would be surprised if you taught him Bagua unless you are in melbourne.... or of course at shaolin

his stories sound great and if you know nothing they are plausible i suppose. It has been interesting for me to see how he has developed his thing in the 10 years... or more since I checked trained there (yes this is my deep dark secret)
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Mut wrote:i would be surprised if you taught him Bagua unless you are in melbourne.... or of course at shaolin

his stories sound great and if you know nothing they are plausible i suppose. It has been interesting for me to see how he has developed his thing in the 10 years... or more since I checked trained there (yes this is my deep dark secret)

1) no, I just trained with a guy who looked like him. He was the type of dude I think who might have done something along the lines of this guy. He can take the eight basic palms I taught him and say that he learned from Dong Hai Quan's ghost lol.

2) you trained with this guy? Tremendous!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 pm

yup.... for a little while... then I moved into far ummm..... better things
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:09 pm

I actually think the comment about rehearsing for some sort of production may be correct. I was thinking the same thing myself.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 pm

no trust me that was not a rehersal....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 pm

omfg They are my new favorites now!
Areios
Wuji

Postby Areios on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:52 am

in of their vids they do compete and they are not that bad. Well I know it's horrible, but not that bad as their other vids.
Areios
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That