Bagua vs. 52 Blocks

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Bagua vs. 52 Blocks

Postby Johnny Drama on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 pm

maoshan wrote:I started to to rip his windpipe out but I stopped, we twisted and fell.

Everything he tried didn't work. Now, I have no ground game and that's real, but nor the hell did he.

The truth of that shit is he was just a surprised as I was at the out come. He didn't expect to win. I was in shock. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. This dude has nothing, no power and he's empty inside. This was a fluke.

My lose comes from me and me alone. Lyte did nothing to me.

The whole post is hilarious but I kept the lines that were funniest to me.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:14 pm

"Back in the lab" , lesson learned , Done!
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:44 pm

I look forward to seeing Maoshan fight with a clear mind.
Chris Fleming

Postby Iron Apprentice on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Yo Mao. He may not have fucked you up, but you got DOMINATED plain as day. But yeah from what Ive observed over the years from you intelligence and practicality wise, I can totally believe that you let your emotions get the best of you. Cuz regardless of my perceiving from you a condescending, dismissive, attitude toward others' humble attempts at understanding their chosen method, from a Gongfu point of things you do practice good sounds methods. I could not understand why and how you fought the way you did. I didnt accept that "you didnt use any Bagua". After so much time training it, it should have been more difficult for you NOT to. By now it should be a natural part of your body and psychi. At least a turn or two (ala Fu Style-which is a clip from you that I loved by the way) to try and angle off and get behind him. Something! Yeah you was just too hyped brah. Had you been less angry (emotional) at him prolly coulda been a different fight. Just wish that when you said it wasnt over, that you approached him with your guard up in attack mode. A fight ISNT over if you have your hands up and are moving forward (ala Kimbo Slice - "Fuck that! Lets run this!") no matter what is said by either party. Yeah he walked away from you cuz like you said he WAS suprised - that he didnt get a more rough showing from you, the better trained method-wise in my opinion, Gongfu man. The burden was more on you. Im just as prone to something like this if I make a mistake in judgement or training, but my opinion? Explore the standing grappling (Shuaijiao) inherent in all Cheng Bagua. He got that throw on you WAY too easy! You shoulda leg-blocked that!

But I gotta say, from all this, I have a new found respect for you for even getting out there and risking it, and it takes BALLS to speak on it here like you have. No excuses though, he shouldnt have, but he got you. You didnt use your legs, only upper torso. Unacceptable for a Bagua-man. Next time use your main weapon (Bagua). Im pulling for you in part two. One thing for sure, you got BALLS bro, and i respect that. It seems that I am more obliged to give you a 'hats off' in defeat than if you would have won. Go figure. 100
Last edited by Iron Apprentice on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 15 times in total.
better known as DAi-BoXeR
Sudan Jeffers
CLUB XINYIDAO - Head Coach
http://www.Myspace.com/ClubXYD
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Iron Apprentice
Santi

Postby cerebus on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 pm

Yup. Iron Apprentice is on the money...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Maoshan,

After seeing the second clip from the different angle it definitely gives new 'perspective', especially the slow-mo, you clearly avoided his initial strikes, which were his only strikes that appeared to have any power.

Also something I was going to mention earlier was that all the 'headlocks' in bagua aren't really of the typical grapple variety as they are for either damaging the throat or cranking the vertebrae to an impossible position, so probably not something for a day to day brawl. From that headlock position you were in: bagua would either grab the throat (as you said) or grab the right side of his jaw, pressing into the cheek/side of teeth and twist his neck the opposite direction which would have taken him down but it didn't appear that you guys are that much of enemies to take it to that level.

The headlocks in bagua are considered 'dark-hand' techniques and there's sayings that address the issue of using them (basically in english)- 'once you start you have to finish, so make sure you're commited or except a loss.' If you stop it's a 'change (huan)' for no reason and an opening for the opponent.

Good fight. I wouldn't let it bring you down.

-D
Last edited by D_Glenn on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Iron Apprentice on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Very well stated and informative! And Maoshan uses this 'neck surrounding' in just that fashion. I ve seen him teach it on a clip. But again, he was just too pissed off and not relaxed enough so didnt fight his best, as he said thinking only of "popping the guys head off" and not on beating him with superior changeability which is Bagua-his main forte.
Last edited by Iron Apprentice on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
better known as DAi-BoXeR
Sudan Jeffers
CLUB XINYIDAO - Head Coach
http://www.Myspace.com/ClubXYD
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Iron Apprentice
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:39 pm

SNIP
Had I used my skill and it didn't work and my shit was over come I could honestly say I lost.
But it wasn't a fight. Neither one of us did what we are known to do.
SNIP

So, what happened to "the skill," exactly? If it isn't there when you need it...

I like some of the stuff you have put out there Maoshan - but c'mon.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Andy_S wrote:SNIP
Had I used my skill and it didn't work and my shit was over come I could honestly say I lost.
But it wasn't a fight. Neither one of us did what we are known to do.
SNIP

So, what happened to "the skill," exactly? If it isn't there when you need it...

I like some of the stuff you have put out there Maoshan - but c'mon.

Throw out "fighting prowess" for a moment.

I know with me.. I can let my emotions get the better of me. When that happens I forget to think. When I don't think...I'm not fighting.
The second way... Is.... I get lazy in my thinking... I'll keep going to the same watering hole (same set up, same attacks etc...) and become predictable. When either happens a punk looks good against me.

I think the Vid showed " Mo" let his emotions dominate the encounter. It happens to the best of us... However...As I see it... Both combatants showed grit. Few people I know are willing to "fight out disputes honorably" on the internet... or exchange real "give and takes" for self improvement... This is what I love about that whole seen going down there. I think they all are legit when it comes to intent. With serious intent you get set backs.. Why? ... because your not fooling yourselves. I can't take anyone serious on the internet that is dogging anyone in this video.... unless they put their shit out for the public to scrutinize too...And if they did .... Then I would have to ask "Why you wanting to bust another dudes balls for try to get better?"

Another thing I think people should be talking about... was that two dudes both from two very rough hoods showed serious honor and integrity. No one was shot, stabbed.. nor sucker punched... I'm pretty social... so I get around...A few times...I've seen two white dudes in suites outside high class clubs act with less honor when it came time to "act like a men or go home like a bitches"...

F*%K'in props to all. Truthfully.... Anyway you look at it...there was no dishonor or loss of face to any involved. We (practitioners of CMA) should encourage honorable exchanges like this more often.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:32 pm

actually through all this, I would say the only truly negative thing was lyte walking away before the end of the round, before any submission on either side, or any clear victory. and he also did it in a very insulting manner.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:35 pm

nianfong wrote:actually through all this, I would say the only truly negative thing was lyte walking away before the end of the round, before any submission on either side, or any clear victory. and he also did it in a very insulting manner.

That really was annoying as hell. And it made sure that there was no clear "winner" regardless of who was in the dominant position. Sure, he "should" have been able to win, but he never finished, he never DID anything with the dominant position... :(
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:57 pm

But I gotta say, from all this, I have a new found respect for you for even getting out there and risking it, and it takes BALLS to speak on it here like you have. No excuses though, he shouldnt have, but he got you. You didnt use your legs, only upper torso. Unacceptable for a Bagua-man. Next time use your main weapon (Bagua). Im pulling for you in part two. One thing for sure, you got BALLS bro, and i respect that. It seems that I am more obliged to give you a 'hats off' in defeat than if you would have won.

+1
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:42 pm

cerebus wrote:
nianfong wrote:actually through all this, I would say the only truly negative thing was lyte walking away before the end of the round, before any submission on either side, or any clear victory. and he also did it in a very insulting manner.

That really was annoying as hell. And it made sure that there was no clear "winner" regardless of who was in the dominant position. Sure, he "should" have been able to win, but he never finished, he never DID anything with the dominant position... :(

And that was exactly why I said earlier that there should have been a decisive victory. This reminds me of a story a former employer of mine told me: he had a friend who regularly did karate point sparring competitions, which the rules have it that you have to pull your hits and not make contact. Well, he got into a bar fight and proceeded to throw punches but pull them, and he got knocked out. The guy later said to his friend, "but I hit him!", to which his friend replied, "no you didn't, you pulled your punches". My point in bringing this story up is that people who represent something like 52, which cultivates a "street" persona, ought to already know that you can't just decide to stop a fight when you feel like it. That's a recipe for disaster. I'm not talking about really hurting or killing someone in a challenge fight like this, or any fight for that matter, but one has to be more realistic that what Lyte proceeded to do--jump around like he was the shit while not really doing too much.
Chris Fleming

Postby menace on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Ba-men wrote:I think the Vid showed " Mo" let his emotions dominate the encounter. It happens to the best of us... However...As I see it... Both combatants showed grit. Few people I know are willing to "fight out disputes honorably" on the internet... or exchange real "give and takes" for self improvement... This is what I love about that whole seen going down there.

Another thing I think people should be talking about... was that two dudes both from two very rough hoods showed serious honor and integrity. No one was shot, stabbed.. nor sucker punched...

F*%K'in props to all. Truthfully.... Anyway you look at it...there was no dishonor or loss of face to any involved. We (practitioners of CMA) should encourage honorable exchanges like this more often.

was gonna write some stuff .. but Ill just say couldnt agree more with what Ba-men has said ..

lots of mouthing off before and after the fight but thats always gonna happen .. it didnt change the fact that these two guys got a chance to settle there differences without outside interference or anyone else watching getting hurt ..
menace
Santi

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:51 pm

to the pit...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One