my san da fight...

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: my san da fight...

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks for sharing that Ashe.

Regardless of the outcome you looked more technical to me.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Iron Apprentice on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Good job bro.
better known as DAi-BoXeR
Sudan Jeffers
CLUB XINYIDAO - Head Coach
http://www.Myspace.com/ClubXYD
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Iron Apprentice
Santi

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Doc Stier wrote:I believe that both men would have totally smoked their opponents in a non-competitive street fighting situation in which many of the techniques used by their opponents wouldn't have succeeded, and where no cumbersome protective equipment or rules restrictions were present. 8-)

wanted to come back to this. not really so sure (on my own part) about this after i spent some time thinking about something that both JW and my Sifu were trying to tell me.

Earlier in the day, my Sifu and I were watching another fight where one fighter was clearly stunned and his opponent was trying to run him down but the ref stopped him to give an eight count to the stunned fighter. my Sifu turned to me and said "actually he should not stop him, or else how is he supposed to finish (the fight)." which parallels something JW was trying to tell me about running your opponent down. so the rules worked both for me and against me. anyway, more food for thought on the difference between real fighting and sport fighting...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Question for you guys who have taken heavy blows with helmets on that have 'rocked' you or brain-jarred you....

Do you think that if you weren't wearing the helmet it would have had the same effect? I'm wondering if hook-type punches to the side of the head actually feel worse because you're wearing a helmet - because it makes the head shake more?

Obviously straight punch to the nose is better with a face mask on though ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 pm

The spinning elbow I took would have had similar effects if not more so, but I definitely feel that the boxing head gear makes for worse feeling when hit. It isn't supposed to protect the head from impact, only to prevent getting cut. It compacts the head. My main issue with it isn't that though, but rather that it limits vision and at least for me, takes moments off of my reaction time. I haven't really adapted to it yet.
Chris Fleming

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I've persevered with the helmet to the point where it doesn't affect my vision so much - I still remember the first time wearing one though - you can't see anything! You get used to it though.

I am considering dropping it just because it feels worse getting hit with it on! However I then worry about getting a busted nose/black eye and having to go to work the next day..... I guess it's swings and roundabouts....
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:53 pm

head gear sux...
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:25 pm

ashe wrote:head gear sux...

Yeah it is a tough balance. I hate wearing headgear too, I didn't realize it was to avoid cuts.

Now understand how that kid got killed in the TKD tournament.

I know getting hit with palm strikes while wearing headgear really sucks, Troy showed me that.

I've heard that protective gear actually causes your brain to shake more and therefore more brain damage in the long run. Anyone else hear that?

Between the two I guess I'd take a crooked nose over more shock to the brain.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 am

Well, headgear and gloves do a couple of things. For one, they DO absorb some of the force/impact, so that alone makes them worth using. BUT they also make it possible for people to punch each other in the head as hard as they want without worrying about hurting their hands.

Old bare-knuckle boxing matches seldom ended by knockout because the fighters knew they couldn't indiscriminately punch as hard as possible to the head without the possibility of breaking their hands. Wear the headgear. It sux, but it beats brain damage...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:34 am

grzegorz wrote:I know getting hit with palm strikes while wearing headgear really sucks, Troy showed me that.

When I was in the Tang Shou Tao, we fought with just mouthpiece, cup and MMA gloves. Full contact. You think my Pi Chuan hurt with the headgear, imagine it on your bare cranium... ;D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:20 am

Headgear and thicker gloves = more brain damage.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 am

huh? why is this bTDT?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Good question.
Chris Fleming

Postby ashe on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 pm

topic drift. lol. we're talking about head gear. i think it's gone as far as it can go in videos, que no?
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Moving lots of topics lately. Please don't turn this place into that other place where there was lots of admin-ing. Please :'(
Chris Fleming

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That