Body Builders

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Body Builders

Postby Chowfarn on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:55 pm

A friend was relaying an old story - I thought I had to share.

During the late eighties there was a big 'Mr. Steroids' (who won a few posing championships) doing bouncer work at a local night club.
Apparently he love to push people around & throw his weight around to especially intoxicated punters.

One night there was this small guy being a bit too loud, so Mr. Steroids tried the old push him round routine.
Its turns out there was a Taekwondo or Karate championship in town.
The small guy was celebrating his win when poor Mr. Steroids intruded on the party.
Seems all the months of benching pressing couldn't stop him getting the ass whipping of the century .......................

After that fateful day, Mr. Steroids wasn't so keen to push people around.

Just because you go to the Gym & get a few muscles - does not automatically make you a great fighter.
But its funny to see how many people think it does.
:-\
Chowfarn
Anjing

Re: Body Builders

Postby Felipe Bidó on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:31 pm

I have a couple stories with me dealing with a bodybuilder and one of the bodyguards of the VP...

But I'll tell them later, because right now I'm in a drinking mood.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Michael on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:56 am

You mean there are times when you're not in a drinking mood?
Michael

Postby Areios on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:17 am

Chowfarn wrote:Just because you go to the Gym & get a few muscles - does not automatically make you a great fighter.
But its funny to see how many people think it does.
:-\

Yeah many adonis type guy had fallen from one punch. :)
Areios
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:11 pm

I haven't run into too many mullets who think they are good fighters and actually talk about fighting, but definitely those who believe they are strong. Probably from there they believe themselves to be good fighters because they can push people around. But when it comes to strength, strong they are not, at least in any usable way. The typical mullet routine is as follows: bench press, incline bench press, decline bench press, bench press in a smith machine, dumb bell curls, bar bell curls, preacher curls, peck deck machine, etc.

I've literally heard people talking about lifting routines for their "inner and outer chest" and their "upper and lower biceps" LOL.
Chris Fleming

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:32 pm

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:02 am

Michael wrote:You mean there are times when you're not in a drinking mood?

Well, yes man, it depends on the weather...
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby cdobe on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 am

Chris Fleming wrote:I've literally heard people talking about lifting routines for their "inner and outer chest" and their "upper and lower biceps" LOL.

Sounds like you're just an external chest guy. ;)
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:58 am

Felipe Bidó wrote:
Michael wrote:You mean there are times when you're not in a drinking mood?

Well, yes man, it depends on the weather...

On whether or not you feel like drinking? Ba-dum-dum, chissshh!
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:06 pm

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Methods on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Ahh, to each his own. Body builders work hard for what they want in results, so do we...
The outcomes are different but both respectable.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby Areios on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:30 am

Methods wrote:Ahh, to each his own. Body builders work hard for what they want in results, so do we...
The outcomes are different but both respectable.

Yep that's a great thing. But mostly guys with big muscles or juust hitting the gym but not probodybuilders are the one, who thinks they are the streetfighter kings.
Areios
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

Chris Fleming wrote:I haven't run into too many mullets who think they are good fighters and actually talk about fighting, but definitely those who believe they are strong. Probably from there they believe themselves to be good fighters because they can push people around. But when it comes to strength, strong they are not, at least in any usable way. The typical mullet routine is as follows: bench press, incline bench press, decline bench press, bench press in a smith machine, dumb bell curls, bar bell curls, preacher curls, peck deck machine, etc.

I've literally heard people talking about lifting routines for their "inner and outer chest" and their "upper and lower biceps" LOL.

Typically you differentiate chest into upper and lower and maybe the middle. Bicep you have to work the length, peak, inner and outer. Bodybuilding is all about achieving a certain look. That look requires the muscles to be balanced. Only doing flat bench will leave you a weak upper chest. Never doing dumbell flys or pec deck will never give you the deep V in the middle chest that body builders like.

Although there is actually a lot you can learn from good bodybuilding about how to keep the muscles balanced and strong overall without being too strong in one particular range.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Certainly, but the topic was about fighting and I talked about being strong so all that upper biceps shit isn't going to help.
Chris Fleming

Return to Been There Done That