John Bracy's Ba Gua

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: John Bracy's Ba Gua

Postby JAB on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Not sure the Rum Soaked Fist needs to be propagating the agenda of a convicted molester/pedophile. Could look bad for the board as a whole.
Something to consider,
Jake
JAB

Postby Bhassler on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:10 pm

JAB wrote:Not sure the Rum Soaked Fist needs to be propagating the agenda of a convicted molester/pedophile. Could look bad for the board as a whole.
Something to consider,
Jake

Do you have details? According to his website he's been teaching pretty much continuously since 1982. Generally, convicted sex offenders aren't allowed to teach bagua. Was he actually convicted or just accused?
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:15 pm

I forget what ended up happening, but it didn't sound very good. You could probably find more info by doing a Google search...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Jake-

You should probably provide some back-up to your assertion that John Bracy is a "convicted molester/pedophile." I just did a quick check of registered sex offenders in California and his name did not come up. If he is a sex offender, then people should definitely be made aware. If he is not, then you should retract your statement. Please give us more details. Thanks.

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby Bhassler on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:13 pm

cerebus wrote:I forget what ended up happening, but it didn't sound very good. You could probably find more info by doing a Google search...

I did that couldn't find anything.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:45 pm

"Generally, convicted sex offenders aren't allowed to teach bagua."

Don't worry, there's always tai chi.
Chris Fleming

Postby AllanF on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:20 pm

This is an extremely serious accusation, and must be proved as if it is true then people should be aware of it conversely if it is not true then it could destroy an innocent man reputation/life.
Last edited by AllanF on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllanF

Postby Bhassler on Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:"Generally, convicted sex offenders aren't allowed to teach bagua."

Don't worry, there's always tai chi.

Rarely does a sex offense occur in a taiji class because everyone knows it's a ghey sausage-fest before they sign up...
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:35 pm

AllanF wrote:This is an extremely serious accusation, and must be proved as if it is true then people should be aware of it conversely if it is not true then it could destroy an innocent man reputation/life.

There was a thread about Bracy's Bagua on the old EF-dot-com board and the issue of his past came up. As I recall, a lady registered just to post in the thread and said that she wanted to let everyone know that it was indeed true and she didn't want to see anyone else's kids get hurt. I wish I had saved the post, she seemed sincere and it kinda caught everyone by surprise to hear that. Anyway, if I am incorrect in my recollection I apologize in advance and will remove my post, but that's the way I remember it.
Last edited by chud on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 am

If it's the same guy (the Bracy that marketed all the "Iron Palm" stuff) - then I remember the stories too.

IIRC it was something about a relationship with a 14 or 15 year old male student that caused him some legal problems.

If this is a different guy then my apologies.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:49 am

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-02-07/ ... instructor

Didn't find any information on the outcome, though.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 am

hey all

John Bracy is a good martial artist, with a wealth of knowledge that he is willing to share. However he is also been under a serious cloud of several accusations of impropriety with younger students, of abusing his power of authority to gain sexual favours. He had to leave the US for a considerable while.

I would investigate thouroughly before committing to learn.

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:33 am

Again, unless someone has been convicted of a sex crime, he is innocent. We should be careful about accusations becoming truth. That being said, one should always be careful about who we associate with. You should always check out the credentials and character of those you choose to spend a considerable amount of time and money with.

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby Bob on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:01 am

The iron palm person was named Brian somebody. I have John Bracey's bagua book and its been a number of years since I have seen anything from that group---thought it was interesting. Never heard about the alleged charges.
Bob
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That