Weight Lifting for Martial Arts

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Weight Lifting for Martial Arts

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:02 am

Its here because since about page 5 its been about whether lifting is detrimental to IMA, which is BTDT and which I tried to avoid from the initial post. But this is the intarwebs and that shit was unavoidable.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:02 am

Let's continue. Here's two routine which are very abbreviated yet delivers the strength:

Programming For The Deadlift by Brett Jones

Credit to www.appliedstrength.com

"One of the most frequent questions asked on training forums is how to structure a routine. Sets, reps, volume and intensity form a daunting obstacle when your success is on the line. In this article I will seek to provide you with several programming options for the deadlift. These routines will be, in general, applicable to other lifts but volume between upper and lower body routines will be different (and the subject of another article).
Appreciate the Difference

Understand that training the deadlift will be different from your typical "cosmetic" routine. Increasing your deadlift will benefit your physique, but this is a side benefit, not the main goal. The main goal in training this movement is to increase maximum strength. Tudor Bompa in his book Serious Strength Training refers to the maximum strength range of training to be the 1-7 repetition ranges and is used for the purpose of increasing strength and/or tone. Doesn't that sound like most clients' goals? Then why stick with the typical four sets of twelve?

Fitness routines are dominated by a philosophy of confusion. Muscle confusion that is! Constantly changing exercises in order to "shock" the body into changing. Well, if your goal is to refine an efficient neurological pattern and increase your strength — plan on using the same lift for quite some time. There are similar variations that will allow for a continuation of the training effect, but switching from deadlifts to lying leg curls is not one of them.

Continued practice of the same activity, when the variables are manipulated will result in an incredibly accurate and powerful performance of the chosen skill. Well, strength is a skill and should be trained as such.

Someone once defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result each time. Sounds a bit like using the same set, rep and weight scheme while rotating exercises in the hopes that it will work this time.

Therefore, the programming suggestions that will follow are meant to train for strength and will provide routines based on manipulating certain variables within the routine. Let's get to work.
Brutally Simple

Ocham's razor is a theory that states that all factors being equal, the simplest explanation is the correct one. (I'll bet he was a strength athlete!). This is quickly followed by the powerlifting saying of "he who lifts the most — lifts the most." The best methods for increasing strength do not require a computer model and a year of planning. Simply follow the basic guidelines for progressive resistance. Begin at a relatively light resistance and slowly and progressively increase that resistance until you come close to or reach a new peak for that lift. Steve Justa, in his book "Rock, Iron, Steel- The Book of Strength" and Pavel Tsatsouline in "Power to the People", provide excellent blueprints of brutally simple routines.

Steve Justa's strength training is based mainly on the application of singles (1 repetition) within the 70% of your 1 repetition max range. So if your best deadlift is 300, you would begin with 210 as your working weight. In Rock, Iron, Steel — The Book of Strength, Justa recommends daily lifting for grooving and improving one lift. No whining about overtraining and rest days and what body parts are going to be overworked!! When you follow an abbreviated program that does not go to failure, you are capable of daily training. See Power to the People for details. On Monday you would perform 3 singles, then add two singles each day until you are performing 15 singles on Sunday. That next Monday, you would add 10-20 pounds and start again. At the end of four weeks, you re-test your one repetition max (1rm) and recalculate your 70% working weight and begin again.

Pavel Tsatsouline recommends a similar brand of strength training. Following the principle that consistent practice is necessary to improve a skill, Pavel's basic program will have you performing two sets of five repetitions. The starting weight would be approximately 70-80% of your five-repetition maximum for the first set and a reduction of 10% for the second set. The next day you would add five pounds to the first set and re-calculate the second set. You continue in that manner (12-14 sessions) until you reach a new five-repetition maximum. In Power to the People, the various forms of cycling are discussed. Cycling involves simply rotating the intensity of your work on different schedules. It is an excellent way to train.

There you have it. Simple, effective strength training that does not require a doctorate. And, for those of you who do not go to the point of testing a one repetition maximum, Tudor Bompa, in Serious Strength Training, provides a chart of calculated maximums based different best repetitions at specific weights. With some practice and experience, you will find your own ranges but this chart provides a starting point."

I left out the second half of the article because that goes into some more involved routines, namely the Russian Squat Routine, which is beyond the point to which I would like to present. But it is here: http://www.enhancedfp.com/training/stre ... rett-jones

Personally I would do a couple or several cycles of Pavel's Power To The People routine before doing the daily singles from Steve Justa, to get the feel for lifting if a person is new to it. But either way, these two simple routines are such that they don't take long to do and are not volume based approaches to building strength. They are more about practicing the lift as a technique (strength is a skill) and training the nervous system. I might respectfully add that doing such abbreviated routines won't kill your gong fu or your internal strength. :)
Chris Fleming

Postby Bob on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 am

How about these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL4PY38Z ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMlVUcNQ ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNVmmNU5 ... re=related

Pi Tiao, or leather strip, is not really leather now. These days we just use our belts doubled over. They work just as well... just dont get your wrist caught in between or ouch! And its usually a 2-week ouch too.

We dont usually practice routines...we train each of these movements over and over again - usually 3 sets of 20 for each movement - but we put them all together for you to see quickly.

Pi Tiao is one of the 20 plus different traditional Shuaijiao training methods we continue to practice under Li Baoru and his student Ma Jianguo in Beijing

Its quite a workout
Go for gold!
Michael

Bob
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:29 pm

A tribute to the bent press, aka, the symphony of strength.

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/la ... Press.html
Chris Fleming

Postby kreese on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:44 pm

which led me to this, which is interesting:

http://www.maxalding.co.uk/mc-book-engl ... -intro.htm
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:12 am

Here is the Bob Hoffman that most of us grew up with in the 1960s as Joe and Ben Weider were just coming into being:

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=4607

Some of these are free down loads pdf file:

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition ... nindex.htm

Advanced Methods of Weight Training

Published in 1951

Contributed by Gil Waldron

Weight Lifting by Bob Hoffman

206 page book published in 1939 - containing many photos of both old-time
and contemporary weightlifters & bodybuilders.

Download book as

Bob Hoffman's Simplified System of Barbell Training

Published in 1940s

Contributed by Gil Waldron

Download book as

BOB HOFFMAN

1898 - 1985

Bob Hoffman - athlete, nutritionist, weightlifter, coach and philantropist - was born on a farm in Tifton, Georgia on Nov 9th 1898. His family stock was good. Bob was never the seven stone weakling claimed by other physical culturists. His father was a large strong man who liked to demonstrate the hardness of his tensed muscles. Given this it his easy to see how Bob was influenced in his formative years.

When Bob was 5 years old the family moved to Wilkinsburg near Pittsburgh where his athletic career started from a very young age. He was an exceptional athlete especially in aquatic sports - his favorite being canoeing.

The First World War saw Bob as a hero. He gained 3 Croix de Guerres with two palms and a Silver Star from France. From Belgium he was awarded The Belgian Order of Leopold and from Italy the Italian War Cross and the Purple Heart.

His business started in the 1920s, at first selling oil burners, before developing into the massive York Barbell Company.

Bob Hoffman, never a great coach or great weightlifter, was a man who influenced and guided weightlifting and bodybuilding for half a century. He died on July 18th 1985 suffering heart disease and dementia.

His writings and ideas have been criticised - we make no comment - but present them for you to form your own conclusions.

Gil Waldron

York strongman Bob Hoffman coached four Olympic teams
By Jim McClure on August 18, 2008 2:02 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Look mom, only one hand. Legendary bodybuilder John Grimek lifts a York Barbell in this photo, courtesy York County Heritage Trust. Grimek finished ninth in the heavyweight division in the 1936 Olympics.

York's Bob Hoffman coached several Olympic weightlifting teams to medal level. He was assistant coach in 1948 and 1952 and head coach in 1956 and 1960.

In a book published a few years ago, John Fair provided an honest look Hoffman's story, as reviewed in the York Town Square blog post: Author muscles way into York's weightlifting, bodybuilding world .

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/la ... ffman.html
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:36 am

ok fuck the bent press. I don't know why I spent so much time doing it when THIS is the ultimate exercise:

Chris Fleming

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:ok fuck the bent press. I don't know why I spent so much time doing it when THIS is the ultimate exercise:

lol

So anyways I have been using kettlebells lately and I love them. I have been wanting to find something that simulates the quality of exhaustion you experience after sparring hard for a few rounds or like I experienced at the shuai jiao comp a couple years ago. Deadlifts was close but kettlebells hits it on the head. A few sets of swings and my entire body is tired, my heart rate is peaked, its awesome. Honestly reading Pavel's books has really changed the way I view tension and lifting and how it integrates with IMA. A lot of his material was familiar to me and I could relate to it through my IMA training. I honestly think the tension techniques and training he teaches would benefit any martial artist.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:37 am

Chris Fleming

Postby Areios on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:ok fuck the bent press. I don't know why I spent so much time doing it when THIS is the ultimate exercise:

:D
Areios
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Chris Fleming

Postby Areios on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:05 pm

nice i imagen the way they got there were the same as well?
Areios
Wuji

Postby heel_no_up on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:48 am

Can't speak to all the posts on this topic...only with what I have experience with. When first learning a martial art, learn the mechanics of the art and the physical requirements; then when you have an idea about what the martial art is trying to develop add weight lifting or other exercises to increase those foundations. Ideally, you find a teacher/master who has a system to "build you up" and can guide you. In the words of my master "bu fuzhu gung fa...bu bagua" (without supplementary conditioning you can't do baguazhang)
heel_no_up
Santi

Postby Mut on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 am

i love my kettlebell, and I hate wirght training (so much I can't eve3n spell it)
Last edited by Mut on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Areios wrote:nice i imagen the way they got there were the same as well?

I would think so. The man on the left is using substantially heavier weight than the master on the right, but we all know that Wang Zi Ping could lift stones in contests that would rival today's strong man contests.
Chris Fleming

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That