Rovere.com

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Rovere.com

Postby ashe on Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:26 am

Michael wrote:So is it Colonel Wuyizidi and General Yinlizi? Or the other way around? We should probably have a challenge match to decide. ;)

ahhhh.. my work is done here.

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:10 pm

heheh, my teacher is a doctor (not MD) of physical education, but since his thesis was on SC vs judo, he's basically a SC PhD. And he's tenured for it at SJ state. which means... he's a Professor of MA. :)

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby qiphlow on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:35 pm

ashe wrote:

quoted for the awesomeness.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:45 pm

So, is Wu man or woman? I always thought a man...? And I thought the implication was that Dennis' wife was alleged to have studied with Du Xinwu, clearly impossible. I should just stay the F out of other peoples issues (which apparently aren't issues anymore)....
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby rovere on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am

I wasn't going to comment again but the "implication" that MY wife claims to have studied with Du Shen Wu is stupid! Where did you see this implication?

My (remember he is the Colonel, not the general) teacher's wife was a Major in the army and a senior student of Du Shen Wu. Once again Adam Hsu (I use him because he knows me through my teachers and is reputable) knows who she is and will verify my statement. (She came from a very well-known family of martial artists.) I also have a copy of the photo given to Du Shen Wu's students when he passed away. I am sure the first generation students of Wan Lai Sheng would recognize it.

As for commissioned ranks in the ARMY they are not 'titles' as one person wrote. As well, they are easily recognized when written in Chinese e.g., 將軍 general; 上校 colonel; 少校 major. Anyone who has an elementary knowledge of Chinese wouldn't mix this up.
rovere
Santi

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Hmm, interesting! Du Xinwu likely had many students, although of them only Wan Laisheng became famous (and openly taught Ziranmen). We don't hear much about his other students (besides Zhang Xiangwu's wife, I have only heard of Liu Hongjie (the famous teacher of Bruce Frantzis))... Do you know who some of the others in the photograph were?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:16 am

Maybe another thread should be started in Off Topic with additional questions because at times the tone of this thread may unfortunately give the impression that Mr. Rovere is dignifying comments that most of us would not want to respond to in this particular context, if you know what I mean.
Michael

Postby Buddy on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:49 am

"I wasn't going to comment again but the "implication" that MY wife claims to have studied with Du Shen Wu is stupid! Where did you see this implication?"

It was a quote from someone else that now I realize might have referred to your teacher's wife? My bad, I realize it was stupid. I thought I made that clear. Clearly I was grossly in error.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby NME on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Perhaps the practice of humility and patience will serve some of you in the future, also might I suggest the understanding of primary, secondary and tertiary references.
NME
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 am

NME wrote:Perhaps the practice of humility and patience will serve some of you in the future, also might I suggest the understanding of primary, secondary and tertiary references.

You tell em, random n00b1

1: source derived from internal response to random n00b mouthing off. Mixjourney man, p5. Rovere.com BTDT, Empty flower 2008
Last edited by mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am

now mix, we were all random n00bs once. here's a perfect opportunity for humility and patience. ;)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:07 pm

qiphlow wrote:now mix, we were all random n00bs once. here's a perfect opportunity for humility and patience. ;)

I was joking.

I've just been writing so many essays recently that I feel like writing footnotes for everything (even if they aren't in Chicago style) :D .
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:24 pm

i should have added the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags to my message, too. :)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby juz on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 am

NME wrote: also might I suggest the understanding of primary, secondary and tertiary references.

...do we get a gold star and a sweet?
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:33 am

juz wrote:
NME wrote: also might I suggest the understanding of primary, secondary and tertiary references.

...do we get a gold star and a sweet?

I'm drinking blue gatorade.
He can have some if he gets here in the next two minutes. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That