What have I found: Dr Stephen Yan Tuishou

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: What have I found: Dr Stephen Yan Tuishou

Postby Josealb on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:08 am

I REALLY dont buy that the other guy was trying his best..it all sounds too...convenient. Key words are stressed here, like "tried his best", "18 years of experience", "not a student", etc. It makes it sound like an accomplishment that speaks good about Dr Yan and bad for the UK guy.

Im curious, where is this UK guy? it would be interesting to hear his take on things. I doubt that he would say "I tried my best against Dr Yan, all that i learned in 18 years, and he beat me".

UK guy? where art thou?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:20 am

... After 18 years of good/correct practice NOBODY should have such an easy time making you dance around the room -- if you don't want them to. Just MHO...

It's really all relative isn't it? Completely sidestepping Dr. Yan's perceived skill for the moment and just addressing this comment out of context, 18 years is really not much if you pushing with a guy who has practiced for 60. How about something you will see more often, 40 years vs. 18? And rather than questioning the quality of the 18 years (as I felt was implied) lets express it in hours rather than years. Then you could be seeing a 3:1 ration in experience pretty easily.

I will still admit though that on some level it does come down to quality, just wanted to point out how that gong fu is measured in hours not years and that tossing around someone with even 18 years of fairly serious and quality practice is not impossible. Some people are really that good. (I just don't think Dr. Yan is in that category)

I REALLY dont buy that the other guy was trying his best..it all sounds too...convenient. Key words are stressed here, like "tried his best", "18 years of experience", "not a student", etc. It makes it sound like an accomplishment that speaks good about Dr Yan and bad for the UK guy.

This part just sort of fits the profile. Again, the video would be appraised more highly (ironically) if fewer claims were made about the guy being tossed around and we were left to our selves to evaluate how hard he was trying or how experienced he was. I watched most all of the first clip and it looked completely non-cooperative to me. It wasn't sparring or anything but as far as basic push hands goes, the guy looked like he was doing his best. That being said, I stand by my original assesment, Dr. Yan looked pretty good at what he was doing. Not amazingly, best of his generation good...but good.
Last edited by bailewen on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:33 am

List of people teaching Wu style in the UK called Ian:

Could be this guy:

http://web.mac.com/iktaichi/iktaichi/Ian_Kendall.html

Dunno - looks vaguely similar, but I'd guess not. We need his second name - anybody?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 am

According to the video it's "Ivan" not "Ian", and anyway I suspect one of Dan's students would make a much better account of himself.

My Google-fu is turning up nada on that.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:46 am

I have found an Ivan Bishop from the UK:
http://www.wustyle-europe.com/pdf/Slant ... 202002.pdf
Seems to be accociated with this school
http://www.tcca.org.uk/
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:50 am

bailewen wrote:tossing around someone with even 18 years of fairly serious and quality practice is not impossible. Some people are really that good.

Well I guess it's the degree of "tossing around" that concerns me. What I wrote was not that it was impossible, but that it shouldn't be done with such ease where the guy just floats at the first touch. But I guess it's "possible", since it is indeed all relative - a lot depends on how talented a person is, how good the teacher is, type/specifics of practice, etc. It's just that 18 years is a long enough time (given, like I said originally, proper/good practice) to show a little more for it IMHO, even if the person isn't a natural talent for IMA.

Eh, silly discussion anyway... sorry I even brought this up; it's sort of a pointless topic.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 am

pointless? sure is. BTDT.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby bruce on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:38 pm

wow! you want some entertainment go read the comments on these videos and read what stephen yan is saying. wow, wow, wow, that is sad.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:52 pm

bruce wrote:wow! you want some entertainment go read the comments on these videos and read what stephen yan is saying. wow, wow, wow, that is sad.

Damn...
Bruce, you sick stupid person!! ;D

Looks like someone called him a "Thieving horse of a donkey hawking chicken salesman." ;D

Thanks man, that's some fun stuff indeed.

(As sad as this whole thing is... :( What a shame. :-X)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:59 pm

i would not study or train with a person who behaves in such a way. i really feel kind of bad for the guy.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Wow, Bruce, I did not read the comments when I watch the video...

It's ironic how he calls someone a Sick Man of Asia considering that is what the Japanese coined the Chinese during their brutal occupation of China.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Dmitri wrote:

"Thieving horse of a donkey hawking chicken salesman." ;D

Sorry, but I could not, and still can't stop laughing when I read that line.;D
Fubo
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm

i am crap at push hands but if we include a little hitting/kicking & throwing then, if Stephen Yan visits the Uk I will push hands with him, video the result and post it on youtube....and Nick please tell him that his comments re Qian Zhao Hong will be passed on via Mr Qian's students... he behaves in a very shitty fashion, revels in pushing around someone who is obviously much weaker than him..and seems to be trying to get some glory off the back of that... let see how he fares against someone who doesn't give shit about his foul mouthed self aggrandisment....
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:49 pm

As one might expect, Stephen Yan comes off looking pretty good here, while his poor guinea-pig gets shoved all over the place and is made to look stupid. His problem is a lack of elastic power, with very rigid shoulders and upper body and no waist movement. Yan's super aggressive, goes for the kill at first touch (XYLH anyone?), and uses lifting force effectively. The few occasions when the other guy shows a bit of spirit, Yan starts to look shaky, though he recovers well.

But how would he fare against someone who actually knows Taiji? There was an interesting event in 1992 when such luminaries as Wei Shuren, Men Huifeng, Li Bingci, Lin Mogen and Li Enjiu agreed to meet each other in a friendly interfaith tournament (Chen vs Yang vs Wu) - and the outcome was extremely illuminating. Most of the time, nothing appeared to be happening - here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEeBTKdoeD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwVaeXQHsI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVqiy6Cou8

I'm tired of self-promoting masters who use untalented stooges to show off. Do chess grandmasters advertise their superiority by beating schoolchildren? Let's see Yan throw down against a real monster for a change - with the camera on!
Last edited by lazyboxer on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:57 pm

[quote="yusuf"]i am crap at push hands but if we include a little hitting/kicking & throwing then....quote]

Going off topic here...but I'm glad that there are other folks out there like me. I am total crap at push hands, I'm one of those guys that just doesn't get it. However, if we get into striking I am not too shabby. I wonder how many of us are out there in the same boat?
Juan
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That