IP/IT/? and actual fighting

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

IP/IT/? and actual fighting

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:23 am

Interesting thread over on Shen Wu on the relation of IT (I'm talking about Sigman/Harden/Ark, et al) to actual fighting:

http://www.shenwu.com/discus/messages/2 ... #POST31016

I like the quote from Tim:

"...Every kind of traditional training properly organized and practiced was designed to do exactly what you found, improve the practitioners physical attributes in a specific manner. No amount of solo training will ever teach anyone how to fight, this was never the intended purpose of solo practice. Fighting can only be learned by fighting, or at least by close approximations.

It's interesting that perhaps the vast majority of martial arts practitioners don't realize the specific "martial" exercises, "kata" or "forms" they practice are no more useful for developing martial skills in general than correctly practiced yoga or "nei gong" or many other body work systems." - TC
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: IP/IT/? and actual fighting

Postby WongYing on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 am

Aren't specific martial exercise part of properly organized traditional training
WongYing
Huajing

Postby middleway on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 am

i completely agree with Tim.

Both myself and my friend who i often attend seminars with have noted that it is immediately obvious to us those who have fought and train in fighting and those that dont or haven't. Especially seminars where IMAs are presented, you see guys who have trained for years in forms or chi gung or 'techniques' who when any sort of pressure is applied cannot respond .... even in simple 2 man drills.

I am firmly of the belief that martial skill lies in 2 (or more) man training. To get that supercharged is where the IT/IP solo work comes in but you can be a 'good' fighter without that skill set ... you cannot be a good fighter without actually fight training though.

thanks for the quote

Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby BaguaBoxer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 am

Interesting clips of Akuzawa Minoru. Anyone here ever work with him?
BaguaBoxer
Santi

Postby C.J.Wang on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:55 am

As far as I know, Ark and his students do plenty of partner drills and pressure-tested sparring. Ark himself was a MMA fighter as well. So I definitely wouldn't
label them as the typical garden-variety IMAists that only do forms.

I agree that there are overlaps between Yoga, Neigong, and various forms found in different MA systems. However, like Tim said, every legit traditional systems is deisnged to improve practitioners' physical attributes in a specific manner. Once you manage to find out what it is and have a thorough understanding of it through the system's forms, it'd then become possible to isolate the essential elements by modifying Yoga and Neigong practice to replace the forms.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 am

Ark competed in sanda, not mma
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:19 am

Interesting clips of Akuzawa Minoru. Anyone here ever work with him?

I think Upyu studies with him doesnt he.

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby JAB on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am

Is it Ark, or his students, that are propogating that he fought MMA? Seems to come up in every conversation about him.
JAB

Postby BruceP on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm

This shit is all relative.

I've been in the ring with people who would destroy most every ima dude I've met, or have seen demonstrate.

In training and feeling the skill of others in a friendly demonstration or comparison of skill, one person's estimation of a another's skill is based on their frame of reference. What would impress Graham might be vastly different from what would impress me.

When I see one of these IP/IT "I have it and you don't" dudes thrash an MMAer in competition, I'll be satisfied that they can walk their talk. Until then, we're all in the same boat (Titanic?), just on different decks. Graham shines DiCaprio's shoes while he sleeps. My quarters has a porthole. Segler has his own deck chair. ;D

a free bucket of salt for everyone
Last edited by BruceP on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 pm

lol. ;D
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:08 pm

I once taught tai chi to the guy who played the owner of the titantic in the film. I'm not sure what relevance that has to the discussion, but I thought I'd mention it.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:24 pm

BaguaBoxer wrote:Interesting clips of Akuzawa Minoru. Anyone here ever work with him?

i was lucky in tokyo last year. rob (upyu) took me to arks class. i had a little hands on time with him and found it to be very good. too bad it was only for one class. i had only heard ark did sanda, i never heard he was in mma comps...
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Wuming on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:27 am

I have trained with Akuzawa in Tokyo and in the USA. He competed in sanda.
Wuming
Anjing

Postby jss on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:40 am

It's interesting that perhaps the vast majority of martial arts practitioners don't realize the specific "martial" exercises, "kata" or "forms" they practice are no more useful for developing martial skills in general than correctly practiced yoga or "nei gong" or many other body work systems." - TC

Huh? That makes no sense. One should at least distinguish three types of training: body work, forms and fight training. Forms will teach you more about martial skills than body work, but forms as such will not make you a good fighter. That's what you need actual fight training for. But claiming that I can learn as much martial skill from yoga as from a koryu kata, is just plain ridiculous. And even if you want compare results from yoga or nei gong with solo forms, punching the air will teach you more martial skill than body work - although not enough to claim real fighting skill.
jss
Santi

Postby Josealb on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:32 am

Tim's comment is within a context. What he means is that you can master the art of making a sword...but that has little to pretty much nothing to do with mastering its use.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That