IP/IT/? and actual fighting

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: IP/IT/? and actual fighting

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:40 am

Perhaps you should consult with an industry-approved expert for your factory authorized external validation. The experts are where it's at, I-mon. Obey the experts. Then everyone can agree on the bare minimum of what constitutes our reality and there'll be no more pesky controversies interfering with the football matches or coffee enemas. -sarcasm-
Michael

Postby I-mon on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:39 pm

I'd just like to state for the record that I don't think that my feeling was anything other than a weird self-created sensory hallucination, but that it was very cool that it could be so convincing and remain convincing, like a palpatory version of an optical illusion.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 pm

I-mon wrote:I'd just like to state for the record that I don't think that my feeling was anything other than a weird self-created sensory hallucination, but that it was very cool that it could be so convincing and remain convincing, like a palpatory version of an optical illusion.

The answer is testing. Can you produce unusual force when you hit things or break things? Can you strengthen the body internally to protect yourself? It's still not conclusive, but it usually either works, or it doesn't.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:17 pm

I can shoot blue lightning from my forehead motherfucker!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Pah. That's external.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm

I can shoot blue lightning from my...
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:58 pm

Now that's internal.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:09 pm

and the age-old debate rages on...
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Wow, they tried to kill this thread by moving it to BTDT. Yet, the beat goes on. Here, let me try to help keep it going:

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no being nearby that has functional hearing and there are no audio recording devices, does it make a sound?

There, that oughta be good for a few more pages.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:09 pm

kshurika wrote:Wow, they tried to kill this thread by moving it to BTDT. Yet, the beat goes on. Here, let me try to help keep it going:

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no being nearby that has functional hearing and there are no audio recording devices, does it make a sound?

Nope. If there is no observer there is no state vector collapse and nothing we could call reality. There is only potentialities that expand into ever greater potentialities.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby kshurika on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Okaaaaaaaaaaay. And?
kshurika
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:43 am

kshurika wrote:Wow, they tried to kill this thread by moving it to BTDT. Yet, the beat goes on. Here, let me try to help keep it going:

I'm a realist, so I go with yes. Sounds are waves that spread through a medium. There's no need for an observer. Using a John Wang format:

A: "I called you last night, but you weren't at home"
B: "You didn't call"
A: "But my friend saw you at the mall at the time I tried to call you"
B: "Yes, I was at the mall"
A: "So you couldn't answer my call"
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:21 am

Yes, but no ear drum (or electronic equivalent) to convert waves and air pressure - via the hammer, anvil and stirrup - into electro-chemical nerve transmissions along an auditory nerve into the brain, where it is interpreted by the normal brain as "phone ringing", the schizophrenic brain as "kill all flying tostadas!", or MY brain as "It's ice cream time!".

Please continue.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:09 am

cdobe wrote:I'm a realist, so I go with yes. Sounds are waves that spread through a medium. There's no need for an observer. Using a John Wang format:

A: "I called you last night, but you weren't at home"
A: "But my friend saw you at the mall at the time I tried to call you"
B: "Yes, I was at the mall"
A: "So you couldn't answer my call"

LOL!!
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 pm

kshurika wrote:If a tree falls in the forest and there is no being nearby that has functional hearing and there are no audio recording devices, does it make a sound?

Whatever generates sufficient pressure waves to displace the surrounding air can potentially create sound. Sound is essentially a medium of transmission for the vibrational energy of the pressure waves. But if no one or nothing is present to hear or record the event, thus validating the sound, then it simply remains a manifestation of vibrational energy, IMO.

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That