IP/IT/? and actual fighting

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: IP/IT/? and actual fighting

Postby kshurika on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Okay, I'll bite. Which xing yi is developed to a high level by hitting air?
kshurika
Wuji

Postby strawdog on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Let’s add to that a comment of Tim’s I’d very much like to address; that is that all Kata and Forms are no good

He didn't say that. ::)

So what he basically said is that his stuff isn't that useful for fighting so he stopped doing it.

He didn't say that either. ::)

I would be more than happy to demonstrate what our kata practice with weapons can deliver in a live environment; twin sticks, knife, sword, stick whatever.

Fantastic. Shoot a video and post it on youtube.
Last edited by strawdog on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Fubo wrote:I'd consider grappling and wrestling to be one portion of fighting, just as I'd consider striking and kicking to be another.

Agreed. The IMA's I was taught classify the various offensive fighting techniques into four categories, namely ta-fa (striking and kicking techniques), shuai-fa (tripping, sweeping, throwing and projecting techniques), chin-na-fa (joint locking and bone breaking techniques), and tien-hsieh-fa (nerve plexus pressure point attacks and energy storage point attacks).

In the older traditional style IMA form sets, the movement patterns are designed to suggest effective ways in which these types of attacking techniques support, overlap and blend with one another in real combat application.

From this point of view, an initial evasion and defense can create the opportunity for one or more counterstrikes (ta-fa), which in turn can create an opportunity to trip, sweep and throw the enemy (shuai-fa) or seize his limbs in order to apply joint locking and/or bone breaking techniques (chi-na-fa),s which often involves manipulation of nerve plexus points or energy points for sustained control of the enemy's body (tien-hsieh-fa).

This of course is but one simple example of many possibilities in blending the various types of attacking techniques in a mutually supportive manner.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:05 pm

I love where this is going. You can't buy entertainment like this.

S- kicks up feet, cracks beer.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:08 pm

kshurika wrote:Okay, I'll bite. Which xing yi is developed to a high level by hitting air?

learning to strike with the whole body into the air will develop serious jing. It is not fighting, but building power. Traditional IMA is about building the vehicle, learning to fight is fighting, what is not learned by doing it? However you can build a serious vehicle through solo and movement alone.
somatai

Postby Bodywork on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:09 pm

by shawnsegler on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:05 pm

I love where this is going. You can't buy entertainment like this.

S- kicks up feet, cracks beer.

I don't think its going....anywhere. It seems everyone agrees that the only way to learn how to fight is to fight.
Other than that it is a bunch of miscommunications and / or rubber necking from passerby's concerning rather surface commentary about or from people who don't know each other or what they do. I'm not interested at all other than my name being brought up. In fact I'm late for training right now.
See ya
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Dmitri on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:27 pm

somatai wrote:
kshurika wrote:Okay, I'll bite. Which xing yi is developed to a high level by hitting air?

learning to strike with the whole body into the air will develop serious jing. It is not fighting, but building power. Traditional IMA is about building the vehicle, learning to fight is fighting, what is not learned by doing it? However you can build a serious vehicle through solo and movement alone.

+42
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Dmitri wrote:
somatai wrote:

+42

+1

Seriously. Jing, fine tuned mechanics and power development should always be trained solo. Testing it, is another thing entirely.

"Hitting air" would be misunderstanding it.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:08 pm

somatai said:

"learning to strike with the whole body into the air will develop serious jing."

kshurika says:

"no it won't."
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Experienced swimmers can generate a great amount of coordinated full body force within the context of their activity. I wonder how much force they could develop for swimming purely by practicing their strokes and body movements in the air.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby kshurika on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm going with this answer: none.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby I'lls cappuccino on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:31 pm

ok kskurika how do you develop jing?
I'lls cappuccino
Mingjing

Postby Fubo on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 pm

kshurika wrote:I'm going with this answer: none.

Ditto.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby I'lls cappuccino on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 pm

by fubo logic if a man swims in the ocean and fish swim in the ocean the man must be a fish!
I'lls cappuccino
Mingjing

Postby Fubo on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Please re-read what I wrote, as your response makes no sense.
Fubo
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That