KUNG Fu vs Karate Pay per view

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: KUNG Fu vs Karate Pay per view

Postby JAB on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:33 pm

I rest my case.
And no, I have nothing against Maoshan (don't even know who that is).

My point is if BT REALLY wants to fight and prove whatever the hell he is constantly trying to prove, then why not just go for some MMA / kickboxing / Pancrase events? Why do we need the hype, drama, and ultimately the bullshit for him to prove whatever? Fighting some old karate guy, seriously, did any of you expect this to happen? And what results were you expecting if it did?

Nothing personal against anyone, it just seems that anything and everything BT is involved with has to be dramatic, gangsta, silly, etc.

Quit jumping on me for my opinion. Just because it does not mesh with yours does not mean a thing.

JAB
JAB

Postby cerebus on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Of course it's gonna be over-hyped and dramatic, that's part of the fun of it. Personally I like a little hype and over-the-top advertising.... IF the people involved actually follow through and fight. I guess that because I would actually be sure to follow through, I expect that others would as well, unfortunately that isn't always the case, as this particular non-event has highlighted... :-\
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Christ, will Cartmell only let you train following a severe blow to the head? I shall look forward to you challenging BT to a test of skill, since this appears to be the only manner in which a persons ability can be considered.

I hope Cartmell is proud of you- but if it's more pennies in the Piggy bank, I'm sure he doesn't care- what remedial people you are- what a cyncical exploiters of the internal arts!

What repugnant human beings you are- I can't believe you deem yourself fit to teach anyone! You aren't teachers of the internal arts. You are pugnacious children run riot. Why not flee to "Bullshido" - they are men more of your "capacity" and inclination.

Whatever skill a man may posses, one may judge him by the nature of his students, and, frankly, NOONE can judge them positively. It makes me sick to think he exploits his many great teachers for such shallow ends. But, then, one should feel unreserved in ones scepticism toward American proclivities. It is seldom the case that one is misled by instinct in this matter.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:16 pm

JAB wrote:I rest my case.
And no, I have nothing against Maoshan (don't even know who that is).

My point is if BT REALLY wants to fight and prove whatever the hell he is constantly trying to prove, then why not just go for some MMA / kickboxing / Pancrase events? Why do we need the hype, drama, and ultimately the bullshit for him to prove whatever? Fighting some old karate guy, seriously, did any of you expect this to happen? And what results were you expecting if it did?

Nothing personal against anyone, it just seems that anything and everything BT is involved with has to be dramatic, gangsta, silly, etc.

Quit jumping on me for my opinion. Just because it does not mesh with yours does not mean a thing.

JAB

You rest your case. Now, what case was that again? It just seems that anything related to BT or anyone who knows him promoting a seminar or an event always irks you for some reason. If they put on a seminar, you complain about the price (and you already have no intention of going in the first place). If they get together with an organizing group to put on a fight, you immediately put it down, assuming, as you said, that no one *really* expected it to happen in the first place. And any time people ask you what's your problem, you say "it's just my opinion" or "this is a discussion forum". Ok fine then, but don't bitch if anyone gives you shit for some future seminar of yours or your teacher.
Chris Fleming

Postby cerebus on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:42 pm

williamwilson666 wrote:Christ, will Cartmell only let you train following a severe blow to the head? I shall look forward to you challenging BT to a test of skill, since this appears to be the only manner in which a persons ability can be considered.

I hope Cartmell is proud of you- but if it's more pennies in the Piggy bank, I'm sure he doesn't care- what remedial people you are- what a cyncical exploiters of the internal arts!

What repugnant human beings you are- I can't believe you deem yourself fit to teach anyone! You aren't teachers of the internal arts. You are pugnacious children run riot. Why not flee to "Bullshido" - they are men more of your "capacity" and inclination.

Whatever skill a man may posses, one may judge him by the nature of his students, and, frankly, NOONE can judge them positively. It makes me sick to think he exploits his many great teachers for such shallow ends. But, then, one should feel unreserved in ones scepticism toward American proclivities. It is seldom the case that one is misled by instinct in this matter.

Whoever you are, you're being an ass...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Yes, but he does have th3 corr3ct on the qi-haters like JAB. Did you miss the thread where Jake said Sun Lu Tang's book on taiji makes no sense?
Michael

Postby cerebus on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Well I don't always agree with Jake or with the way he talks to people, but williamwilson666 being an ass about Tim Cartmell and Tim's students isn't exactly called for...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Jake vs BTthrowdown.

Nuff said.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby newtype on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:13 pm

"KAPMMA spent quite a bit of time promoting a Karate vs Kung Fu special attraction featuring Novell The Black Taoist Bell vs Mahaliel Sensei Mo Bethea. According to Nick Lembo at the NJSACB, that fight was scrapped.

While this is not confirmed, its going to be assumed that Novell G Bell backed out of the fight which seems to be The Black Taoist’s modus operandi. There is a 7 minute long video of Bell talking “strategy” for this fight. But it looks more like an Al Qaeda training video than an interview with a serious fighter. And I really don’t want to give the guy any hype, because after reading some of his internet chest puffing, he really isn’t worth it. But, I did have a couple people ask."
http://www.mamma-online.com/2009/12/karate-vs-kung-fu-match-from-kapmma-was-scratched/

The only problem is, they cite a thread in which Maoshan is mistaken for Novell Bell...it seems no one can get their facts straight, but I for one would like to see this fight happen eventually...
newtype
Mingjing

Postby fisherman on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 am

cerebus wrote:Well I don't always agree with Jake or with the way he talks to people, but williamwilson666 being an ass about Tim Cartmell and Tim's students isn't exactly called for...

+1
I think that lack of agreement keeps the forum alive. Pretty strong generalization about Mr. Cartmell's students.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 am

William
You know where to find us bro. Step up if you wish.

Rest,

I do not get it, but so be it. I offer my opinion, you do not agree with it, so you bash me? WTF? Bro, my seminars are open to anyone criticizing if they wish. Disrespectful douchewaffles like William aside, if anyone ever felt ripped off, or that they did not get what they wanted, or were in general not happy with anything I do... I am more than happy to listen to criticism. That is how we learn and grow. I try to put on fairly priced, well run, educational events. So far I have had 0 complaints.

If I remember correctly someone was bringing in BT or one of his guys to do a seminar and charging in the ballpark of $300 for a weekend seminar. I simply commented I thought that was excessive. That is my opinion, and I am entitled to it. WTF is the problem? Regardless of whether or not I plan on going to something (directly attributed BTW to the price often times) I think I can offer an opinion on a public forum.

Re: the comment about book and qi... again, WTF is the problem with me offering my opinion? Sun Lu Tang's writings are nebulous in terms of combatives. Tim's translation affords the clearest explanation I have yet to see, and even then much of the esoteric mumbo jumbo makes no sense. If you get something out of it...cool. I never said you were an idiot for believing it, why am I an asshole for NOT believing it? As for qi... has nothing to do with fighting. That is it. Simple.

I have no "problems" with most anyone here, because I have never met you. Unlike some, I do not form anger or hatred against someone over an electronic pipeline! That is strange. I have no problem with BT personally. I think he has some great skills from what I have heard and seen. I think the way he acts and interacts is not the best, but everyone has their opinions. ;)

Look, if no one wants my ideas or opinions then say so and have Tom ban me from RSF. No huge loss to me. Then you guys can have one less critical voice and you can all live in your little bubble of fantasy and illusion. I am more interested in the preservation and future developement of the martial arts I love and cherish. If that means I make enemies, okay. If that means I have to be very critical of my very own arts, absolutely! If that means I have fewer students who are better, I am good with that.

Have a Happy Holiday Kids,
JAB
JAB

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:52 pm

"Unlike some, I do not form anger or hatred against someone over an electronic pipeline! "

"Then you guys can have one less critical voice and you can all live in your little bubble of fantasy and illusion."
Chris Fleming

Postby cerebus on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Well I kinda like my "bubble of fantasy and illusion", it's warm and cozy.... :)

And hey, people aren't allowed to disagree with your disagreement? ???
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Myself, and I suspect many others, have no problem with Jake's posts. Anyone who's been on the forum long enough will remember when BT used to post and Jake's comments are spot-on, I could even go a hell of a lot further than he did with what I know, but... I can't.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:43 pm

I personally don't see all the pre-fight hype as entertaining or even worthwhile. I'd much rather just watch a fight/competition.

It is also strange that there is so much build up over two fighters who really have no ring record of note. But I guess part of it is the novelty of a traditional CMA fighter actually getting into an MMA ring in the first place. Too bad it remains a novelty.

OTOH, it also should be acknowledged that MMA fights do get canceled when folks back out. It's happened with several fighters from my gym where the opponent has backed out a day or so prior to the fight.
fuga
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That