KUNG Fu vs Karate Pay per view

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: KUNG Fu vs Karate Pay per view

Postby JAB on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Cerebus,
I have never had a problem with someone disagreeing with me. Certainly. Agree to disagree on anything I agree with disagreeingly. ;D
JAB

Postby ashe on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Ai yah...

Well this has spiralled into BTDT.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:01 am

I can't read or speak Chinese, know nothing directly about Sun Lu Tang's book on taiji, but considering his reputation, if the book doesn't make sense to someone who practices neijia, I think there is at least an equal chance of it being the reader and not the writer.

Thinking I'm right all the time is not self-confidence, it's just the surest way for me to break the necessary feedback loop on an already feedback deficient communication system called a message board.
Michael

Postby bailewen on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 am

This thread sucks.

I was really majorly looking forward to watching this thing at some point. Not over the top hyped or anything but just seriously good naturedly lookging forward to it especially as the two fighters involved seemed so good spirited about it.

WTF> happened.

sorrry for typos. I've had about 250 mills of the 110 proof Chinese moonshine. :P
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Michael wrote:I can't read or speak Chinese, know nothing directly about Sun Lu Tang's book on taiji, but considering his reputation, if the book doesn't make sense to someone who practices neijia, I think there is at least an equal chance of it being the reader and not the writer.

No offense to anyone here, but isn't that true of all such books, regardless of who authored them? -shrug-
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 am

Yes, that puts it in proper perspective and then I can rethink JAB's comment not as bashing SLT.
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:25 am

Michael wrote:Yes, that puts it in proper perspective and then I can rethink JAB's comment not as bashing SLT.

Good show, Michael! :)

I have been regularly humbled by the realization that my uncertainty about certain points in the writings of high level masters like Sun Lu-Tang simply reflects my comparatively lower skill level and lesser understanding of the intricacies of these arts. :-\

And so, I remain a work in progress! ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Alexander on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
Michael wrote:Yes, that puts it in proper perspective and then I can rethink JAB's comment not as bashing SLT.

Good show, Michael! :)

I have been regularly humbled by the realization that my uncertainty about certain points in the writings of high level masters like Sun Lu-Tang simply reflects my comparatively lower skill level and lesser understanding of the intricacies of these arts. :-\

And so, I remain a work in progress! ;)

Doc,
I've also heard the "conspiracy" part of the equation, where people claim that Sun Lu Tang's book was published was for the people who had no idea what real IMA were, while he had a private journal he passed on.

I think I read it in the Pa Kua journal.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Alexander wrote:Doc,
I've also heard the "conspiracy" part of the equation, where people claim that Sun Lu Tang's book was published was for the people who had no idea what real IMA were, while he had a private journal he passed on.

What? No way! Secret writings never posted online for public consumption? That can't be right, can it? ???

Doc ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Alexander on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:58 am

Doc Stier wrote:

What? No way! Secret writings never posted online for public consumption? That can't be right, can it? ???

Doc ;)

I see what you're saying -- but what if the publicly published book was complete garbage? Wouldn't want to waste time trying to digest garbage that was thrown out for the racoons.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:29 am

Alexander wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:

Doc ;)

I see what you're saying -- but what if the publicly published book was complete garbage? Wouldn't want to waste time trying to digest garbage that was thrown out for the racoons.

If you are reasonably experienced in taiji you should be able to tell if a book on taiji is garbage or not and be able to relate to the lessons in a book on an experiential level if they are valid. If you can see value or relation with your own experience in some of the book the chances are that parts you can't understand are also valid.
Last edited by DeusTrismegistus on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:13 am

Back when I was training in Shaolin in the early to mid '90s (and having previously trained in Karate since around 1980) I tried reading the Tai Chi classics. It sounded like a bunch of ridiculous airy fairy nonsense and philosophical gibberish to me then. Now I read the classics and I see common sense and deep wisdom. Go figure...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:43 pm

cerebus wrote:Back when I was training in Shaolin in the early to mid '90s (and having previously trained in Karate since around 1980) I tried reading the Tai Chi classics. It sounded like a bunch of ridiculous airy fairy nonsense and philosophical gibberish to me then. Now I read the classics and I see common sense and deep wisdom. Go figure...

Yeah, I remember reading something about ICMA years ago and the main gist of it was "go stand in zhan zhuang for five years" I really had no frame of reference so it seemed totally absurd. In retrospect it was completely my ignorance of how the process works.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Alexander wrote:....but what if the publicly published book was complete garbage? Wouldn't want to waste time trying to digest garbage that was thrown out for the racoons.

I can assure you that none of Master Sun's books are garbage. Sun's writing does, however, generally assume the reader's basic level of familiarity and understanding of the core concepts. Raw beginners in the IMA's, who often lack sufficient knowledge of the subject matter, may find Sun's writing somewhat vague or difficult to comprehend.

Additionally, given Sun's extraordinary martial skill level and his deep understanding of core concepts, even intermediate and advanced level IMA practitioners may find some of his writing challenging to comprehend.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Alexander on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
Alexander wrote:....but what if the publicly published book was complete garbage? Wouldn't want to waste time trying to digest garbage that was thrown out for the racoons.

I can assure you that none of Master Sun's books are garbage. Sun's writing does, however, generally assume the reader's basic level of familiarity and understanding of the core concepts. Raw beginners in the IMA's, who often lack sufficient knowledge of the subject matter, may find Sun's writing somewhat vague or difficult to comprehend.

Additionally, given Sun's extraordinary martial skill level and his deep understanding of core concepts, even intermediate and advanced level IMA practitioners may find some of his writing challenging to comprehend.

It's quite possible, although I never personally have read any of his writings.
Alexander
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That