i must apologize in advance...

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: i must apologize in advance...

Postby klonk on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Mut wrote:ha! if that kid finds a good teacher who can deal with the essentricities of Aspergers he will become good... real good, not fantasy good, the anyone who dises him can expect to be chop suey lol

He has focus, much of the time, and that is good indeed.

What kills most people's interest in the sword is that good sword work is anything but flashy. They show up wanting to be Inigo Montoya or Wesley or Zorro and they are taught to be cautious as accountants.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

"ha! if that kid finds a good teacher who can deal with the essentricities of Aspergers he will become good... real good, not fantasy good, the anyone who dises him can expect to be chop suey lol"

+1
Last edited by internalenthusiast on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 14 times in total.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:05 am

Mut wrote:ha! if that kid finds a good teacher who can deal with the essentricities of Aspergers he will become good... real good, not fantasy good, the anyone who dises him can expect to be chop suey lol

+1

The only "problem" there I saw was his hair getting in the way, he just needs to tie that into a knot of something.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 pm

or better yet, cut it off. seriously... a rat tail mullet? boy thinks he's a padewan.
Last edited by nianfong on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby klonk on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

With a nick knack padewan, give a dog a bone, this old thread went rolling home.

Oh, wait, it's already in BTDT.

Well, anyway, a fantasy perception of something you like can lead to enough interest to acquire the genuine article. How many of us chose technical or scientific paths because, in the really cool movies, it was the engineer or the programmer or the scientist who saved the whole world?

I thought grad lab assistants were all girls, and all beautiful once they took their glasses off. More fool I.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Klonk:

.... or came to the martial arts though our fantasies of being Chuck Norris? Bruce Lee? or even the great JCVD.

While I would not argue that the sword skill in the vid is well anything other than lame, I would say that the skill he has shown in devloping his stuff is great. Aspergers tend to focus people on one or 2 things to the exclusion of all else.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Very classy

I never understood the reason for these kinds of threads.

I used to laugh back when manners were in vogue and being an asshole to your waiter meant a bunch of other shit, because I'd note the names of the people laughing at Z and other yuk-yuk material. But I was rude because I only went at folks who were actually on the forum to speak for themselves.

I'd rather be an asshole than a coward any day.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 am

I don't think it's cowardice (at least in this particular case), I think it's just being rude... I'm pretty sure people aren't "afraid" of the guy or are "afraid" to say any of this to his face, but they would probably be polite enough NOT to say it quite like that to his face...

But yeah... My #1 basic rule for posting applies... never say anything online that you wouldn't say to someone face-to-face (whatever the reason.) Unless I guess it's celebrity-related, i.e. comments on people who intentionally expose themselves/chose the limelight as part of what they do (like Paris Hilton, the president, etc.) are OK in my book.

But that's just me -- everyone's different... Besides, it's internet. :)

Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah, Dmitri. That's always been my golden rule.

I still think it's cowardly. What other purpose would someone have for posting clips like this one, and so many others, if not to invite derisive commentary?

It's like the Z threads. Everyone sure changed their tune when Z signed up and started posting. Apologies all around. I know for a fact that at least 2 of Z's friends found it more than just 'rude'. Some of it was pretty hurtful and cruel.

What was that clip you posted the other day? The one about if you can't say anything nice...? ;D

There just seems to be an open-season mentality if the person isn't a member of the forum. It's always looked like a mobbing to me. And yeah, it is just, like, my opinion, man. I don't take it too seriously though. I just keep score...
Last edited by BruceP on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Only paranoid people make lists about other people. Just saying.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:38 pm

GrahamB wrote:Only paranoid people make lists about other people. Just saying.

Project much, Graham? If memory serves (you call it a 'list', but whatever), and it does, I'd say so.

I remember you slagging lots of peoples' clips like you're some kinda prize.

If speaking out against threads that invite ridicule makes me an asshole - or even a paranoid asshole just because I can remember who said what - I'll gladly take that heat for the folks who aren't here to speak for themselves. ;D
Last edited by BruceP on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Last edited by Patrick on Fri May 27, 2011 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:01 pm

paranoidandroid wrote:
or even a paranoid asshole

I feel offended now ;) ;D ]

You shouldn't feel that way. You're not the droid we're looking for. You're not even on the list :D
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Shooter wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Only paranoid people make lists about other people. Just saying.

Project much, Graham? If memory serves (you call it a 'list', but whatever), and it does, I'd say so.

I remember you slagging lots of peoples' clips like you're some kinda prize.

If speaking out against threads that invite ridicule makes me an asshole - or even a paranoid asshole just because I can remember who said what - I'll gladly take that heat for the folks who aren't here to speak for themselves. ;D

Hey, you're the one with files on all of us. I'd love to see your file on me....

2002 called me an asshole
2003 called me an asshole again. Damn it.
2004 called me an asshole! DAMNIT! HE WILL NOT RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!

;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:08 pm

fwiw, if this kid were not disabled, I would diss him right to his face. after I found out he was disabled, I felt pretty shitty, and I def would not say it to his face.
nianfong
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That