Cheuk Fung on Yi Chuan

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Cheuk Fung on Yi Chuan

Postby yichuan on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:09 pm

We recently updated http://www.yichuankungfu.com with new video clips, photos and a detailed interview with Master Cheuk Fung. Below is a clip where he demonstrates the characteristics of Hun Yuan strength.

Kind regards,

Steve

yichuan
Santi

Re: Cheuk Fung on Yi Chuan

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:37 pm

unbelievable
neijia_boxer

Postby s7en on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:15 pm

is it part of training to jump away and shout "doOOOAAAaahhhh"?

in this clip master cheuk fung does not even touch his partner,
and still he does the funny move (at 1:02):

it is hard for me to believe. how does it feel when you have to bounce away, is it like an electro-shock?

s!
«ROKETTO PANCHI!»
s7en
Santi

Postby s7en on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 pm

thanks for sharing your website. interesting interview,
nice fotos and well done clips. i was exited to see some yiquan,
and everything was allright. till i saw the jumping
-a bit to much for me, i wonder how other members think about it.

s!
«ROKETTO PANCHI!»
s7en
Santi

Postby WongYing on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Fantastical !

The one thing Wan Lai Shen founder of Yi Chuan vehemently opposed was all the fantastical bullshit...I can make you move without touching you crap. It is a shame that in this clip the skill of the teacher is overshadowed by the bullshit...what a shame
Last edited by WongYing on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

WongYing wrote:Fantastical !

The one thing Wan Lai Shen founder of Yi Chuan vehemently opposed was all the fantastical bullshit...I can make you move without touching you crap. It is a shame that in this clip the skill of the teacher is overshadowed by the bullshit...what a shame

Agreed. :)

Developing and demonstrating superior skills is a matter of subtraction, not of unnecessary addition! ;)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 pm

WongYing wrote:Fantastical !

I don;t think it was Wan Lai Shen -shrug- ..err Wang Xiang Zhai mebbe?..i do know the founder of Yi Quan trained a little with Du Xin Wu, and took some of the concepts
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 pm

A disgusting display of teacher worship that contributes to making IMA the laughing stock of the martial arts. :'(
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Sprint on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:A disgusting display of teacher worship that contributes to making IMA the laughing stock of the martial arts. :'(

+1
Sprint
Wuji

Postby bruce on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:52 pm

yichuan wrote:We recently updated http://www.yichuankungfu.com with new video clips, photos and a detailed interview with Master Cheuk Fung. Below is a clip where he demonstrates the characteristics of Hun Yuan strength.

Kind regards,

Steve

hi steve,

what is your opinion of the content of that video?

in my opinion he or no other human can cause this type of reaction in me.

what is the value in this type of training? do you believe in it?

every time i see a video like this i wonder if it is a joke!
bruce
Great Old One

Postby yichuan on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Not too many years ago I would have the same opinion as you. Obviously my opinion has changed, you can see me being tossed around in several of the clips.

You may find the interview section (http://www.yichuankungfu.com/cheuk-fung/background/) helpful in laying some background and context on the training methods demonstrated. Many frequently asked questions about yi chuan push hands and testing strength methods are covered. -steve
yichuan
Santi

Postby gosao on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Liked the interview especially the 2nd video where he was explaining hunyuen strength.. lol at the dog! Seems like sifu Fung has genuine skill but the reactions to the fajing was still a bit too exagerrated and overly dramatic.
gosao
Huajing

Postby bruce on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 pm

yichuan wrote:Not too many years ago I would have the same opinion as you. Obviously my opinion has changed, you can see me being tossed around in several of the clips.

You may find the interview section (http://www.yichuankungfu.com/cheuk-fung/background/) helpful in laying some background and context on the training methods demonstrated. Many frequently asked questions about yi chuan push hands and testing strength methods are covered. -steve

what was causing you to be "tossed" around?

can your teacher even in a cause such a reaction in me even in a friendly demo of skill let alone a self defense situation? i do not think it is possible.
please forgive me if i come off as rude but i just do not buy into this so called skill. i have been traveling the world in search of any human who can do this tyoe of thing to me and i have found none. maybe ya'all can be the ones to show me?

>>Master Fung: I don't know anything about Aiki Jutsu but the principal seems to be the same. If you get thrown down you do your best to get back up and keep going. In our style of push hands, we will use the force of the opponent to push us away rather then be overwhelmed (thrown) or collapse. This way we avoid being tangled up or taken down. Therefore the bouncee in push hands training is working on his skill just as much as the bouncer is.

Student: What about the bouncer? How does bouncing the opponent away translate into self defense ability for the bouncer?
Master Fung: Bouncing let's you practice using force at various angles safely. Assuming your partner knows how to properly receive the force you can use a lot of strength in the technique without worrying too much about hurting him. More importantly there is feedback. When Hunyuan strength is used with the proper distance, leverage and timing the opponent flies away. If done well it actually looks fake. So in push hands we are constantly refining and training the Hunyuan strength, challenging ourselves and getting used to working physically with our partners. We start by testing the various basic postures with various angles and timing. We then work on gaining success while moving and begin to practice with stepping. Eventually, we practice spontaneously and even competitively to continue to build our skill.<<

>>Student: Does using Hunyuan strength guarantee victory in a fight?
Master Fung: Of course not. A fight is a fight....hopefully your training pays off and you will be able to use Hunyuan strength to your defense but there is no guarantee. Have you trained to the point where Hunyuan strength is your natural reaction? Are you able to use it with the distance and timing needed for self defense? With Hunyuan strength just a little gesture here or there and its the end, you know what I mean? So, while Hunyuan strength is no guarantee it certainly is an advantage.<<

these statements are a interesting perspective but i really need to feel it. in your teachers interview he does seem to talk sense and seems humble... but as i said i need to feel it.
Last edited by bruce on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 am

Master Fung: Bouncing let's you practice using force at various angles safely. Assuming your partner knows how to properly receive the force you can use a lot of strength in the technique without worrying too much about hurting him. More importantly there is feedback. When Hunyuan strength is used with the proper distance, leverage and timing the opponent flies away. If done well it actually looks fake. So in push hands we are constantly refining and training the Hunyuan strength, challenging ourselves and getting used to working physically with our partners. We start by testing the various basic postures with various angles and timing. We then work on gaining success while moving and begin to practice with stepping. Eventually, we practice spontaneously and even competitively to continue to build our skill.

Emphasis added

This kind of suggestion is one of the aspects how students develop this response to their teacher. It gets easier and easier for the teacher to bounce out the students, until they get so sensitive to him that they only need a little non-physical clue to bounce themselves out. In my POV it should be the other way around, i.e. a properly trained student gets harder and harder to be pushed out. This way the teacher has to improve as well and both parties grow. In the other case only the teacher's ego grows, until someone like Bruce comes along... :D
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 am

Hey Yichuan I got a couple of questions for you. Why do you bend your legs as you put your hand on the little fat dude? Is it because it's harder to jump in the air without first bending your legs? You are not being "tossed around", you are jumping in the air like a clown at the circus. Your's is not a video about yiquan or any martial art, it is a fuck up - a pointless fucked-up pile of manure.
Last edited by Sprint on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprint
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That