France vs. USA

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: France vs. USA

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 am

Iskendar wrote:
Buddy wrote:And BTW, who said universal medicine is "absolutely crucial"? The entire world did without it before the end of last century and civilization seems to have worked just fine, thank you.

Sure, nothing wrong with high infant mortality and the occasional raging epidemic to keep the rabble's numbers manageable.

Nothing wrong at all with it. Now the human population is approaching the theoretical maximum the earth can support. We destroy our own environments and poison each other for profit. We have no natural predators, we have been fighting off disease and other population controllers. We are a super bacteria on the face of the earth. No animal exists in its own environment without some method of population control. There are numerous examples of plants and animals that cause complete havok and screw up ecosystems by being introduced into an area that has no natural way of curbing the new organisms spread. Look at the asian carp in north america, or the honeysuckle bush.

We need giant freaking bulletproof dinosaurs whose roar is an EMT and are completely silent when they eat you. Hell yea.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:59 am

In a way, I agree that we destroy our environment and that we need to check ourselves in.

On the other hand, there is NO WAY that I stand by letting my child or close ones to suffer without doing something. So, yes, IMO health care is important, unless you don't care what happens to yourself and those around you.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:21 am

It is worthy of note, especially for some here who clearly didn't make it past elementary school history, that without France there would simply be zero united states and the US would just be more of Canada.

But because Washington promised this and that, he got the support of General LaFayette of France and with the French help won the war of independence. Of course, the typically redactionist thinking and short memory of so called patriots won't crack a book and look this little fact up. lol

France MADE America in other words.
As for us Canucks, most of us, with the exception of some out isolated in the west, love our French identity as much as we love our British Identity. ultimately, I'd prefer we loved our Canadian Identity more, but we do get to do that when we travel...as opposed to americans who get ragged on everywhere because their president is a dictator and their foreign policy is brutish and ignorant.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:In a way, I agree that we destroy our environment and that we need to check ourselves in.

On the other hand, there is NO WAY that I stand by letting my child or close ones to suffer without doing something. So, yes, IMO health care is important, unless you don't care what happens to yourself and those around you.

Yea I know, thats bioliogy for you though, just can't get past that self preservation and preservation of offspring drives.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Drake on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:48 am

This is just opinion, and experience. Not factual. In this I'm absolutely all American. ;) I was born in Sicily to American parents of Italian/English decent. Raised in the mid-west of the US, and traveled throughout Europe as a teen. Haven't been outside the US in over 25 years. What I remember from France, and Italy is great food, wonderful people, and lots of body odor. When I was in large cities (Paris, and Rome) the folk were jerk offs. Outside of them in the rural areas they were wonderful to me. Health care was limited, but efficient use of local remedies worked like a charm. Kind of like here. I'd prefer to live where I can't be bothered by a-holes. The pace of life was better in Europe over all, imo. Living was richer, and fuller there, also, ime. Education seemed to me to be more accessible to any who wanted it, and had the desire and intelligence to better themselves in Europe. Education in the US is becoming more, and more, limited to those who can afford it rather than to those who can really use/need it.

Overall..... I think I'd prefer to live in Iceland.
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:52 am

Drake wrote:I was born in Sicily

(Note to self: don't fuck with Drake.) ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:01 am

Drake wrote: Education in the US is becoming more, and more, limited to those who can afford it rather than to those who can really use/need it.

QFT.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:12 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Yea I know, thats bioliogy for you though, just can't get past that self preservation and preservation of offspring drives.

Yes. And I think that it is a good thing. I know that you don't imply this, but often people look at instincts as some archaic thing that is outdated and not needed. It's like they would like to become machine-like. (We may be biological machines, but we are sophisticated beyond the grasp of the mind).
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 am

juz wrote:
Michael wrote:...I'll elaborate...imagine the biggest the roundabout you've ever driven, albeit with a cobbly road surface over 150 years old, no lines, no demarcations, no filtering, no giving way, no priority . Add double figure entrances to the above and drivers that don't care...

I'll give you the cobbly road factor and lack of demarcation....but it's still not the magic roundabout!
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Drake on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:23 am

Considering I'm getting old....... What does QFT mean?
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:26 am

quoted for truth
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Drake on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:29 am

nianfong wrote:quoted for truth

Thanx, Fong.... I thought it was "Quite fucking true". ;D
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 am

quite fucking true works just as well in this case. :)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 pm

From my point of view:

France has some of the loveliest, nicest people on the continent. Beautiful countryside, livable cities, excellent food and drink, a public health system that actually works for its people, incredible museums...frankly, if you are managing to have a less than enjoyable time I can only imagine why.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Also, regarding the healthcare issue - the French system is excellent on all counts. Hospital treatment is generally more available and humane, access to doctors is quite good, pharmacists are trained like pharmacists of old (able to prescribe and dispense), alternative care is freely available and paid for. I have looked into this fairly closely - I am seriously thinking of retiring to France.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That