prices for MA seminars

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

prices for MA seminars

Postby JAB on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 am

$250 eh!?!?!?
Jesus BK has a racket going, that apparently his students have followed suit!

Good luck with the seminar.
JAB
JAB

Re: Wu style Tai Chi in Portland, OR April 16-18

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:25 pm

JAB moaning about the price is the RSF right of passage for any west Coast seminar ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:08 pm

$215 for two and a half days of training seems pretty fair to me.

Jess O

PS these are friends and classmates of mine, this is not my seminar, just to be clear.
Last edited by JessOBrien on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 am

Just an opinion, but what some people charge for CMA seminars is nuts! Especially in this economy. But hey, good luck with it!
JAB

Postby JessOBrien on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 am

No doubt Jake, things seem pricey these days.
Looking at your blog Ruben Charles is charging $100 for two hours of instruction in BJJ!
That's beyond even the most expensive CMA teachers I've seen.
But if people want it enough they'll do what it takes to get it, we've both blown plenty of dough seeking martial arts knowledge.. :)

Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:33 am

Conbrinha is a multi time world champion, and one of the most sought after instructors in the sport of BJJ. Not exactly apples to apples brother ;)
JAB

Postby somatai on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 am

100$ for two hours is cheap......250 for two days is fine....what is the deal with paying to learn, of course make sure it is someone you want to learn from, but why should people not make money for this type of work?
somatai

Postby cdobe on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 am

JAB wrote:Conbrinha is a multi time world champion, and one of the most sought after instructors in the sport of BJJ. Not exactly apples to apples brother ;)

Fair enough, but is he capable of softening and expanding your body's interior spaces?
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 am

So to speak ;)

Soma -

Unbunch the panties brother. No one said people should not make money. Worth is subjective, I simply offered my opinion.

Cheers
JAB
JAB

Postby fuga on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:44 am

JAB wrote:So to speak ;)

LOL!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:18 pm

fuga wrote:

LOL!

Hello...? It was my joke ::)

;)

Note to self: The guys don't get it, when you don't use smilies
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

S- cracks beer, puts up feet...wishes he had enough money to be going to seminars.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 pm

I know it was a joke, hence my response with the ;)
Just cuz it ain't that funny does not mean we don't get it :) ;D ;) :o :D :-\
JAB

Postby ashe on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:44 pm

I simply offered my opinion.

which pretty consistently seems to be that only YOUR teachers or classmates are worth anything more than $40 for a weekend...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Wu style Tai Chi in Portland, OR April 16-18

Postby JAB on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:50 am

ashe
As with you I am entitled to my opinion. Last time I checked you did not show up to anything of "mine" so I am not sure if you know 100% what you are talking about. As I stated worth is subjective. It was obviously worth it for you to fly 2000 miles to portland for your teacher, but it was never "worth" it for you to drive 500 when I lived in NM to train so.....

I am simply offering my thoughts. I have been putting on seminars with my teachers, and guest teachers, for damn near a decade now. I have never, NOT ONE, had a seminar fail in attendance nor making the guest instructors basic requirements.

Do as you wish with the info, but when I offer my opinion, which is based a bit on fact, some may want to listen. I made a criticism of your teachers seminar being so expensive too. Turns out under 10 people showed up. Now we can debate all day what the reasoning was (ie. poor advertising / lack of interest in subject - teacher / bad weekend etc. etc.). But in this economy we need to exercise common sense. Ever wonder if you would have charged just $100 for the weekend if attendance would have been greater? Tim visited Portland just a few weeks ago...promoters listened to me when I said keep it affordable.... they had over 40 people attend the first day alone bro!!

We all like to get high and mighty, and I agree that teachers should get paid WAY more than they do. But worth is based on what others are willing to shell out, and their is a certain saturation point as well. So it really has little to do with "my teachers or training partners," and more to do with "my experience" doing seminars, promoting seminars, and running such events. You guys are funny with your attitudes. They prevent you from learning from others sometimes.

But hey, honestly, good luck with the seminar. I hope it is a HUGE success!

Cheers
JAB
JAB

Next

Return to Been There Done That