prices for MA seminars

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Wu style Tai Chi in Portland, OR April 16-18

Postby JessOBrien on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:18 am

Hi guys, can we leave the price war out of the seminar announcements?

Jake, if you've got thoughts to offer, why not do it in the main section please?

Seminar announcement etiquette tends to be, just ignore the ones you don't like.

If you've got some ideas about prices and such, let's talk about it elsewhere, because it really has nothing to do with the event in question, and more to do with economics, subjective sense of what's worth what, etc.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:59 am

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:08 pm

JAB wrote:Conbrinha is a multi time world champion, and one of the most sought after instructors in the sport of BJJ. Not exactly apples to apples brother ;)

What is it that he teaches which is so radically different from other BJJ instructors that makes it worth the cost? It was my impression that what makes a champion is not necessarily that they have any special "secret" techniques that will transform a schmoe into a superman, but rather how they choose to use what they've learned. And that of course is up to each individual to do as they see fit. Wouldn't one learn the same techniques from a regular BJJ black belt as they would from a World Champion? Of course I know little about BJJ, so I could certainly be mistaken. ???
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Re: prices for MA seminars

Postby JAB on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:19 am

Jess
My thoughts were directly related to the subject.
Admin's are a bit gun happy around here. EF used to be so different.

Cerebus
I have no clue. Never trained with the guy. Could suck. I never said he was worth the cost. I did not even bring him up. Of course worth is relative. He may suck as a teacher. I have no idea. I can elaborate on those I have trained with.

Techniques are one thing. Learning how to learn better / learning how to teach something better / learning how to do something more efficiently / taking a new perspective on a technique, position, sub, etc. One does not solely learn techniques all the time does he?

J
JAB

Postby cerebus on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:09 am

JAB wrote:Techniques are one thing. Learning how to learn better / learning how to teach something better / learning how to do something more efficiently / taking a new perspective on a technique, position, sub, etc. One does not solely learn techniques all the time does he?

J

True. I was just wondering what kind of things he worked on in his seminars. Maybe the strategy and tactics which he used to win his titles? That could be cool...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:18 pm

As I stated I have no clue, never trained with him. I will let you know when I review his stuff on my blog.
JAB

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 am

Jake, right on, you are known for your strong opinions! I'd never tell you to tone them down, that's what makes Jake the Jake we know and love!!

But the seminar page is not, from what I can tell, the place to debate relative worth of the people giving them. It's not the place to quibble over whether someone is worth the money or not, if they are fake, or real etc.

That's for the main discussion area. Or OffTopic I guess.

As I understand it this section is meant to be more of a bulletin board or announcement area rather than a discussion section.

Otherwise all the seminar announcements would quickly clog with swirling debates over IMA vs MMA, and logistics of the events would get lost in the stream of "I heard he sucks/rules" type of stuff.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 am

JAB wrote:Jess
My thoughts were directly related to the subject.
Admin's are a bit gun happy around here. EF used to be so different.

J

HAHA clearly you weren't around when Asura executed his purge. ;D

seriously though, Jake, I'd chill out about telling people what they can afford in what economy. if you can't afford it, you can go ahead and say that, but you shouldn't tell other people what they can and can't afford.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Dmitri on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 am

nianfong wrote:HAHA clearly you weren't around when Asura executed his purge. ;D

+1
Also Felipe's ban hammer at times was much quicker than these days... RSF would probably be missing several members right now, if this was 8-10 years ago.
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 am

haha back then we killed the trolls with a quickness. somehow there hasn't been as many recently. or maybe I'm just more mellow now.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

nianfong wrote:haha back then we killed the trolls with a quickness. somehow there hasn't been as many recently. or maybe I'm just more mellow now.

It's true. Capoeira turns you ghey. :D
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 am

half the fun and half the drive is not being able to afford things. if you can't afford things.

old farmer li stood out in a turnip field. liu yun chiao's family was well off.

who cares? boxing isn't about money.

seminars are seminars. that's fair.

sometimes i have money and sometimes i don't. amazing how often teachers understand that.

but we're not entitled to anything.

no money, no teacher--practice what you already have to work on, and don't complain. fifteen minutes with a good teacher, likelier than not, will give you stuff that you can work on for years. if you're paying attention.

it's almost not fair to call it eating bitter. because it can be very enjoyable.
johnrieber

Postby johnrieber on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 am

finally--if it is indeed so--

i am proud to be a THREADKILLAAA!
johnrieber

Postby yusuf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 am

no JJY, you lose..

:)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:06 pm

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Muwhahahahahahahaha...MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....etc
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That