Bad Taijiquan

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Bad Taijiquan

Postby Dmitri on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:20 am

Andy_S wrote:so-irritating-its-amusing manner

to me it's more of "I-can't-watch-more-than-2-seconds-of-it-even-on-mute" manner
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:00 pm

I dislike that guy almost as much as I dislike Dragonmastershow.....

He makes me want to vomit.
I feel sad about the future of humanity when I see this guy. :'(
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:50 pm

BEHOLD, his Taiji!

Last edited by QuaiJohnCain on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuaiJohnCain

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 am

So there IS a God...and his RSF handle is QuaiJohnCaine!

Thank you, sir, for posting that, thank you.

Now let us address this example of "Bad Taijiquan" that has been placed before us for our delectation. First - a compliment. There is nothing like a round of "Tai Chi Chung" on the golf course to get the chi flowing! Enough. Let us now proceed to the critique. Look at his stance. If you carefully examine the relationship between his kua and his...oh bugger it, I will be here for a month.

What the shag is this fellow doing?

Two comments:
(1) Is he SERIOUS? Really, I have wonder if the whole persona is a piss take.*
(2) The video was surprisingly uncompelling absent his customary, "You poor simp, let me look you in the eye and tell you that I know something you don't," voiceover.

Next!

*If it is, I bow before what can only be described as a work of ironic genius.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 pm

I thought you'd get a kick of out of it... ;D
QuaiJohnCain

Postby nianfong on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:02 pm

really like how he constantly kinks his spine and destroys his own structure
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:50 pm

come on nianfong, he has no structure to destroy... he is "formless" :p
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Wow. That is extremely bad even from an OYD standard.
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 am

solo form demonstrations not done for the purpose of instruction (and even then), coming from the wrong place, go to the wrong place.

The best tai chi practice is that which you do yourself.
That which you do and that you intentionally seek to improve yourself in that practice.

Virtually all solo form demonstrations or system promotional videos are crap on that basis.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:08 pm

just saw this post for the first time - sorry for my fashionable lateness.

I think we need to keep in mind that there are people from beginners to advanced in any group. The first video was basically focused on one guy at the back row who was clearly a beginner. Kinda like looking at a white belt in karate and saying "whoa...those guys really suck". Don't forget, when you're learning a long form it takes XXX amount of time to learn the sequence of movements and then probably about 10x that to correct it.

As for peng jin in the knees...I'm not sure I really understand what that means. I assume you were referencing the lack of knee alignment. But it reminds me of a guy once saying to me 'if you need to sneeze, simply put peng jin in your nose and it will go away...'.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby klonk on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:35 pm

So taijiquan has this identity crisis going on. Is it a martial art? Is it a qigong? Is it a health and fitness exercise promulgated, and ruined, by the reds? Is it cosmic oneness with the whole universe, as some qi huggers would have us believe? (It also slices, dices and makes mountains of cole slaw.)

In fact it is a clever idea coupled with some very ordinary Chinese fighting techniques. The clever idea is make early touch contact and rely on following to lead you to a good place. The ordinary part is hitting and kicking, locking and throwing. You get all that ordinary part in any martial art. Taiji is different in how you set them up for the kill.

Did I say kill? Silly me, I meant achieve the dao. Cosmic oneness, dudes!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:17 am

QuaiJohnCain wrote:BEHOLD, his Taiji!

The best thing about that vid was that in the "related videos" there was this other vid:

;D
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby hennie on Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 pm

hennie
Santi

Postby Din on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:52 am

Meeks, I thought that putting too much peng jin in your nose could disintegrate your septum? Wait, or was that something else...?
Finally! A thread that makes me feel better about my own sucky taiji! Thanks guys.
Din
Mingjing

Postby cloudz on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 am

ok..... you know I didn't really support this thread.. Well I can make one exception.

Belly dancing or the shake and vac ?

Check it, quite some time ago I went to a seminar he put on re. short staff. .. Anyway he taught us this form stuff, maybe some apps (can't really remember now..) And he admitted it was customary for him to perform the form for the attendees at the end so they could get a better idea of it - that sort of thing. That was one of the things I wanted to see, and you know I'd paid my way in, so..

Anyway, we get near the end and he only makes the excuse that he was flying to China to train at Wudang in a few days time and he wanted to avoid depleting his energy too much, due to facing a long flight and all that, form had fajin in it blah blah...... so lame.

I find his taiji in that clip quite horrible! -puke-
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That