Sorry to do this but.........

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Sorry to do this but.........

Postby Earth_Monkey on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:30 pm

I think quickstep missed the point ;D

Earth_Monkey
Anjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:49 am

Yeah dude, stop looking at naked chicks at work. :)
Chris Fleming

Postby northern_mantis on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:50 am

quickstep wrote:The pics are making this page difficult to read at work.

But if you are interested in qi, this is the best book to read right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Brief-History-Qi- ... 0912111631

It talks about this topic in depth and has a lot to offer to the commentary on qi and how it relates to the many aspects of Chinese Culture including martial arts. If you want to get beyond a very basic level of understanding beyond "qi is energy" then get this book.

At the risk of sounding like a boring old git, thank goodness finally a sensible post. Great recommendation, this book goes as far towards putting the argument to rest as you possibly could. I think in my own mind I am comfortable with the concept now. I'm surprised so few other people are interested, would explain why IMA is in such poor shape and so misrepresented.

Ironically, in my experience the concept of qi has been dealt with much more carefully and competently in external systems.
Last edited by northern_mantis on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby qiphlow on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:Yeah dude, stop looking at naked chicks at work. :)

that's not entirely true. none of those chicks are technically "naked."
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

northern_mantis wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a boring old git, thank goodness finally a sensible post. Great recommendation, this book goes as far towards putting the argument to rest as you possibly could. I think in my own mind I am comfortable with the concept now. I'm surprised so few other people are interested, would explain why IMA is in such poor shape and so misrepresented.

Ironically, in my experience the concept of qi has been dealt with much more carefully and competently in external systems.

You are new here, so trust me this topic has been discussed to death on here and previous incarnations of this forum. I think I can speak on behalf for everyone that we are never going to discuss or argue on the topic again. ;)

Try searching through old posts, but please don't necro-thread them, just read.

:)

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 pm

eventually you stop trying to pinpoint the contextual variances in the word qi and just 'shut up and train' - you just get past it.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Dmitri on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 am

meeks wrote:eventually you stop trying to pinpoint the contextual variances in the word qi and just 'shut up and train' - you just get past it.

...or, alternatively, you go in the opposite direction and make one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Empty-Force-Ultim ... 1852307838
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:22 am

I realise it is a tired debate and have no doubt it has been done to death here. The point I'm trying to make is it's a technicality which is of primary concern in IMA. People are happy to go in to the finest of details about weight distribution or use of the waist but not talk about this or similar concepts which are equally or more valid than many subjects which occupy the main forum.

So why bother with the internal arts??? Because of fear of ridicule it's being neglected all together. And as I said before, in my experience this and other more esoteric concepts are being dealt with alongside the external arts resulting in my shaolin training having more internal elements than my tai chi training! Given other characteristics of IMA such as softness are also available in external arts then IMA is just getting left behind.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby qiphlow on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm

esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Chris Fleming

Postby affa on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:13 am