McDojos

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

McDojos

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:51 am

I was wondering what peoples views are on wanting to make MA their career. How would they go about it and would they consider franchise schools, workout videos, health only classes etc. etc. 'selling out'.

And in that environment students may want a structured time period to themselves get to where you are. If they had fulfilled the requirements to pass each level of training would it be wrong for them to teach even if they were still a bit shit? Because it's your syllabus are they your responsibility, or can we churn out people who are no good in the workplace like English universities?!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...... :)
Last edited by northern_mantis on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Re: McDojos

Postby meeks on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:39 am

I'm of the camp that believes someone needs to be a qualified instructor before they begin teaching. Just having a bunch of material doesn't make you qualified. Being able to demonstrate your knowledge of a variety of techniques (or forms) doesn't say anything about your skill level and proficiency of those. Further to that, I believe it's the instructor's decision on whether that person is qualified to teach their material. It's unfortunate that so many people get their feet wet and then think they can teach swimming.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:14 pm

meeks wrote:I'm of the camp that believes someone needs to be a qualified instructor before they begin teaching. Just having a bunch of material doesn't make you qualified. Being able to demonstrate your knowledge of a variety of techniques (or forms) doesn't say anything about your skill level and proficiency of those. Further to that, I believe it's the instructor's decision on whether that person is qualified to teach their material. It's unfortunate that so many people get their feet wet and then think they can teach swimming.

Agree with you on all points there.

It would be an important consideration for anyone who wants to follow this path to choose a teacher that will not fear any competition. My first Shaolin teacher had big falling outs with a couple of students because even after over a decade when they had at least matched his skill he wouldn't release them to teach and they had to go it alone amoungst legal threats and animosity.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby meeks on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 pm

damn - did I nail the correct so hard that no one else responds?

*pats back*
meeks
Administrator

Postby Flex on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:47 pm

I just want to know why kung fu can't be popular like yoga is. ie. why can't we be doing hot kung fu with hot girls? Why do we get stuck with the old park people and Bruce Lee wannabe's..
Flex
Anjing

Postby meeks on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:56 pm

you oughta see the hot girls in my school.

there's Brett, Travis, Jason, Laurence, the list goes on ... bunch of girls! (see you at class tomorrow, fellas)

nothing like stoking the embers to get them to train harder....

we had a couple of girls for awhile and i think we made them pretty comfortable actually despite the ratio.
meeks
Administrator

Postby mrtoes on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:25 pm

meeks wrote:damn - did I nail the correct so hard that no one else responds?

*pats back*

That's what I tell myself every time I kill a thread :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Flex wrote:I just want to know why kung fu can't be popular like yoga is. ie. why can't we be doing hot kung fu with hot girls? Why do we get stuck with the old park people and Bruce Lee wannabe's..

fuck it dude, take up hot yoga!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Flex on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:57 am

i'd make the wrong impression in hot yoga with my chi belly. Of course, in neija I can attempt to give a good explanation (cough, excuse, cough).

Anyway to de-hijack the thread, I did consider making a career in MA instruction as well, that's what reading books about purpose driven life did for me. But after much thought and consideration I find it hard to make a main career out of it. My current instructor is retired and don't need money, my last instructor had financial issues and started doing everything under the sun to charge the students (including the invention of new tai chi forms..), another instructor I know is also in dire financial straits.

imho it is better as a side job that you do for fun and interest sake, or to bring up some training partners to raise your own skill.

I do know however some instructors in my area are charging $100/hr for private lessons, and not necessarily good instructors. I guess if you have the right combination of kung fu skill, political network, and marketing skills you can get it done. :)
Flex
Anjing

Return to Been There Done That