will the real cloud hands please stand up?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

will the real cloud hands please stand up?

Postby everything on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:21 am

I've learned 3 cloud hands forms now and I personally only like the Yang style. What is the deal with why they're so different? For example, what is with the Chen style method? I don't see how it could be useful in empty hands applications to have the feet crossed. Everyone else says never do that except in a split second into a throw. However, it gives me an excellent hip stretch. Am I totally misguided here? Is it an awesome move, and I just don't know its incredible awesome-ness? Does everyone prefer this posture from one particular taiji style? thanks for any advice or non sequitur witty replies.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: will the real cloud hands please stand up?

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:15 am

got some videos to compare for those of us unfamiliar with these strange other methods?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:57 am

if you slide your foot behind for cloud hands, it's setup for a throw probably. same as steal step for shuajiao.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby bruce on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:55 pm

everything wrote:I've learned 3 cloud hands forms now and I personally only like the Yang style. What is the deal with why they're so different? For example, what is with the Chen style method? I don't see how it could be useful in empty hands applications to have the feet crossed. Everyone else says never do that except in a split second into a throw. However, it gives me an excellent hip stretch. Am I totally misguided here? Is it an awesome move, and I just don't know its incredible awesome-ness? Does everyone prefer this posture from one particular taiji style? thanks for any advice or non sequitur witty replies.

the chen xin jia method i practice has 2 different methods one with a step behind and one with out.

for me the crossing your leg behind and twisting can be used to throw as fong said. also as a arm trap / elbow break also ...

think of it as getting out of the way of a punch by pivoting.

a. punches w/ r hand
b. intercepts w/ l hand at the same time as b. steps back/behind with right leg twisting body to the right weight going into l leg.
b. places l hand around a's right shoulder and applies a lock or throw.

another point is within yang there is more than one method of cloud hands ... in my tai chi chuan practice i do 5 methods of cloud hands.
one of which you can see here at about .35 seconds into the clip. it is with no stepping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynXWQYo5ZFY

another variation can be seen here from the 24 form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HesN9B4xVfA
bruce
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm

everything wrote:I've learned 3 cloud hands forms now and I personally only like the Yang style. What is the deal with why they're so different? For example, what is with the Chen style method? I don't see how it could be useful in empty hands applications to have the feet crossed. Everyone else says never do that except in a split second into a throw. However, it gives me an excellent hip stretch. Am I totally misguided here? Is it an awesome move, and I just don't know its incredible awesome-ness? Does everyone prefer this posture from one particular taiji style? thanks for any advice or non sequitur witty replies.

you know since i've seen that video of feng zhiqiang in the video section, i've been thinking about that too. not why it's useful, but i thought cloud hands was an advance. did that video make you start thinking about that too?

(edit) after i wrote this post i stood up and actually tried it. i see it is both an advance and a retreat. shows the problem to theorizing too much. better to stand up and practice.
Last edited by ninepalace on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninepalace

Postby everything on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Ok thanks a lot, Bruce. it's going to take me a while to think about the answers. I'll try to post a follow up.

I didn't see that video, ninepalace. I've been wondering about it for a while. This week I tried the chen with leg crossed for no particular reason and it feels good as an exercise due to some hip tightness. The way I've learned it as a form doesn't seem like any throws I've learned (mainly judo), though so the leg crossing seems weird. Also just wondering about so many variations.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby ninepalace on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 pm

everything wrote:I didn't see that video, ninepalace. I've been wondering about it for a while. This week I tried the chen with leg crossed for no particular reason and it feels good as an exercise due to some hip tightness. The way I've learned it as a form doesn't seem like any throws I've learned (mainly judo), though so the leg crossing seems weird. Also just wondering about so many variations.

funny coincidence. i've been thinking about that for a couple days now. just admit, i got into your head.
ninepalace

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Cloud hands can also be an armbar in Chen style. You do the step behind you and swing your hips to give it more whole body torque.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 pm

haha yes apparently so
everything
Wuji

Postby kreese on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:23 pm

You can also scoop a kick and continue turning to throw.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Jack Burton on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:02 am

Prefer Chen Style Yun Shao over Yangs personnally
Jack Burton
Santi

Postby everything on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:55 am

Jack would you mind sharing why you prefer it? Specific applications? specific aspect of the different movement?
everything
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:33 am

There are actually 3 stepping methods in the Chen taiji, one the same as yang (feet step together), one stepping behind (Che bu) and one stepping infront.

There is a difference between taolu (form) and application.

The stepping behind is exactly what Fong said, it is for throwing. Yun Shou is a very cool move as it involves lu, kao, zhou and ji. Upper hand should be empty lower hand full. upper hand is lu then lower hand moves in as you can kao then elbow then press/push/throw etc.
AllanF

Postby Jack Burton on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 am

Allan thanks for your excellent answer-glad you included stepping in front, I'm not sure how common that is

For me its more practical than yangs but thats just a personal opinion

Yes locks, throws, strikes as well as the 'leg apps'
Jack Burton
Santi

Postby nianfong on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 am

hm, stepping in front... what's that for?
nianfong
Administrator

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan