old school boxing school

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

old school boxing school

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:58 pm

I was checking out a old school boxing gym in my area. I was goggling boxing and found a school very close to my home. The school has been there for 30 years and the owner is a promoter. he said he has done over 100 fights and he also teaches some young pros around 19 years old. The guy is very disciplined with no tolerance. He told me to come at 8pm and so I got there at 7:55 and he was like "your early". So after waiting we talked in his office and I had to fill out questionnaire. another guy called saying he was running late and so he turned the guy away, and told him not to come. He lectured me on boxing being a discipline and what not and that 'on time' is an agreement between two people and courtesy.

he gave me two hand outs-

boxing club rules-
1. no profanity
2. no disrespect to any other member or staff
3. no unauthorized use of training aids
4. no unsupervised contact in any way
5. no food or beverage other than water
6. we do not recycle so recycle at home
7. No unauthorized striking of bags
8. no late attendance for any class
9. no unauthorized spectators
10. no hats or other headwear
11. no improper unclean footwear
12. do not disturb other while training.

stretching sheet-
this had several yogic postures-
1. sitting: leg pull or single leg front stretch
2, sitting- front legs front stretch or abdomen bending
3. leg split and bending
4. bridge from sitting position
5. cross leg hip twist-
6. upper body push up- or 'up dog'
7. bow
8. verticle leg twist
9. plow
10. bridge from lying position
11. partner front leg stretch (on partner shoulder)
12. side stretch (side kick on partner shoulder)

This stretching is the first thing they do, no jump rope, running, ect. we went through them holding each on for a slow 15 count.

Then they do "shake outs" which is hoping in place with weight going to left or right leg. kind of like jump roping without a rope and shaking and loosening the arms. this class was getting good. we did some of the shake outs with fight stance as well.
then we did a standing cross leg stretch which you see a lot in soccer training. I was astonished on the amount of stretching we did for boxing!!

next we worked on stance called 20-30. This is where it was turning into a xingyi seminar. The coach put his feet together and then turn both of them 20 degrees to me then pivoted his rear foot to 30 degrees. next he stepped back with the rear foot and bent the knees. he kept his arms touching the body and hands on thighs. This would be the standing. then he had me raise my hands keeping my elbows touching the body into the guard position hands at chin level with chin tucked in, body at a angle, not square to opponent.

we worked on stance work for a while which ended up being really good leg work, the stance worked the quads in a way i had not discovered before in a boxing stance.

Next drill was getting in the ring and doing more of the shake outs, then in the 20/30 fight stance circling around in the ring. Next was taking a break to shoulder stretch or stretch the legs more.

Next was some stepping details with a drill called six-six cause you take 6 inch step with lead foot and follow with a 6 inch step with rear foot. did several stepping lines in the room of forward, then back, then lateral left and right. we worked a drill where the steps were called out and you go whatever direction was commanded.

Next was just using the jab with detail and combining the jab with step. The next drill was the cross with detail and with step. Once again as someone who has done a lot of boxing, the details brought new insights. Lastly we worked jab, cross, and jab cross combination on focus mitt without and with stepping.

Afterward we went through and covered what we did and areas I need to focus and correct. i got go reviews for my stepping and that i would check my stance, my main focus will be keeping elbows tight.

Tomorrow is my last intro day...I'll let you know what happens.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
neijia_boxer

Re: old school boxing school

Postby Joe L. on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Very cool. For the last month or so I've come to appreciate boxing a bit more, and am trying to track down a good local one, yet it is providing a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the run down and let us know what happens tomorrow for sure. It'll be a good eye opener to what a good boxing school might have to offer.

P.s. If you come across any information about a good school near Northeast Pennsylvania/Northern New Jersey , that trains hard and supports fighters who want to make the leap from amateur to pro, it would be much appreciated ;)
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:41 am

Sounds good. But it would never work for me because I'm always late.

Is that with this guy?

http://www.savateaustralia.com/Savate%2 ... Boxing.htm
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:09 pm

Todays boxing began with the 12 stretching drills

After that we did box running around the gym 24 times (12 each
direction of clockwise/ counter clock wise.)
Next we did several aerobic boxing rounds at song length
1. Shake outs
2. Shake outs with lunge stepping
3. Shake outs with cross stepping
4. Shake out lunge stepping with 2 lb hand weights
Punching (upper cuts, jab cross, punch alternate punch sky, alternate
punch lateral)
5. Shake outs cross stepping with hand weight/punches
6. Fight stance- Four direction waist bending both direction
7. Neck exercises in push up position left right and up down
8. Partner leg raises
9. Jog gym 3 times.

Boxing gloves- step in/back 3 min rounds
1. Triple jab
2. Jab cross
3. Jab cross jab
4. Cross jab- follw step with cross
5. Cross jab cross- follw step first cross, pivot on 2nd cross
6. Double jab cross
7. 5 punches- jab cross jab cross jab

Heavy bag
3 min rounds freestyle
neijia_boxer

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:28 pm

I think i might settle on this school for a year. He is whole heartily about the 'Science of Boxing" ,... tuition is reasonable (under 100 a month), they have a good philosophy with building basics before going into full contact, time of classes is good (8 pm) and 7 days a week for classes. School is close to my house with a ring, all kinds of bags and equipment, they train a lot of conditioning, they believe a fighter needs to be confident in using "ring craftsmanship" , the coach has done boxing, kickboxing, tai chi, and box-arate (boxing karate), we spoke a good amount of time on the phone, i told him i liked the stretching before class. Stretching he said had many functions- prevents injury, helps footwork, helps endurance and stamina, increases strength. i get a good feeling from this old school boxer than some of these younger MMA guys who throw you into the wolves in sparring and ju-jitsu with a must-win attitude, as someone getting old- at 37 the MMA schools don't have the discipline and respect of a Old School boxing school.
neijia_boxer

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:16 pm

a good boxing coach is a treasure to find.

I have no tolerance for lateness, slacking, laziness or children in a martial arts training regimen.

So I dig where you are getting to go. Good for you!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:55 am

here is a scan of the handouts from the old school boxing coach

neijia_boxer

Postby JAB on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:43 am

How long is each class?
Care to share any of the details of the jab he covered with you?
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby Michael on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for posting the details. Not a boxer, but found it very interesting. Sounds like a good find.
Michael

Postby neijia_boxer on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:09 pm

When he taught the jab, it reminded me of something right out of jack Dempsey's book. It was like- "As the relaxed left hand speeds towards the target, suddenly close the hand with a convulsive, grabbing snap. Close the left fist with such a terrific grab that when the knuckles smash into the target the fist and arm and the shoulder are frozen steel –hard by the terrific grabbing tension."

a straight line of power from first 2 knuckles and radius and ulnar bones of forearm and chin protected by shoulder.
neijia_boxer

Postby JAB on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Nice.
I believe Dempsey referred to the middle and ring finger knuckles lining up with the radius and ulna, no?
JAB
JAB

Postby Peacedog on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:00 pm

xxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:45 am

JAB wrote:Nice.
I believe Dempsey referred to the middle and ring finger knuckles lining up with the radius and ulna, no?
JAB

yes i believe so
neijia_boxer

Postby Areios on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:a good boxing coach is a treasure to find.

I have no tolerance for lateness, slacking, laziness or children in a martial arts training regimen.

So I dig where you are getting to go. Good for you!

I agree. Just not on the lateness but only if he is from work or any similar caliber.
Areios
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic