Airline Security of the Future (maybe)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Airline Security of the Future (maybe)

Postby Bill on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:52 am

The EMD Safety Bracelet

http://www.lamperdlesslethal.com/video_ ... flv&title=

check out the video !

I'm not wild about the idea of the bracelet, but they do have an interesting product line..
http://www.lamperdlesslethal.com/Products.asp
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Airline Security of the Future (maybe)

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:06 am

Wow! I am speechless. Are they fucking serious? This is using the fear of terrorists to introduce this technology everywhere. If this is implemented, then this technology will be introduced in schools, to prevent "random shootings", government offices and eventually everywhere.

WTF!??

If this becomes reality, then I will never take a plane again. I guess the air industry will go down if they do this. Hopefully the sheeple will not be too scared to accept it. Oooh! Terrorists!
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:49 am

I gotta rent Minority Report again. What a great movie.

What never ceases to amaze me is that they are so focused on airplanes. What is to stop a terrorist from bringing his bomb without any trouble, in a nice big suitcase, to the security line (which has well over a thousand people during peak hours, i.e. way more than any single plane could carry) and blowing it up in the middle of it all, right there on the airport floor?!
Aha, so let's check and search and X-ray EVERY CAR as it pulls into the airport.

The dept. of homeland security is such a fucking horrid and utterly useless taxpayers'-money-draining organization, it's mind-boggling.

...but then again, this whole administration is like that. :-X :'(
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 am

More, from an online article...

WASHINGTON, DC - Just when you thought you’ve heard it all…

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers.

This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

The Electronic ID Bracelet, as it’s referred to as, would be worn by every traveler “until they disembark the flight at their destination.” Yes, you read that correctly. Every airline passenger would be tracked by a government-funded GPS, containing personal, private and confidential information, and that it would shock the customer worse than an electronic dog collar if he/she got out of line?

Clearly the Electronic ID Bracelet is an euphuism for the EMD Safety Bracelet, or at least it has a nefarious hidden ability, thus the term ID Bracelet is ambiguous at best. EMD stands for Electro-Musclar Disruption. Again, according to the promotional video the bracelet can completely immobilize the wearer for several minutes.

So is the government really that interested in this bracelet? Yes!

According to a letter from DHS official, Paul S. Ruwaldt of the Science and Technology Directorate, office of Research and Development, to the inventor whom he had previously met with, he wrote, “To make it clear, we [the federal government] are interested in…the immobilizing security bracelet, and look forward to receiving a written proposal.” The letterhead, in case you were wondering, came from the DHS office at the William J. Hughes Technical Center at the Atlantic City International Airport, or the Federal Aviation Administration headquarters.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:17 am

Luckily, I am buying a brand new car. Vroom! Vroom! ;)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:46 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:Luckily, I am buying a brand new car. Vroom! Vroom! ;)

Yeah, well, you just wait... They're all gonna have a mandatory GPS and remote vehicle-disabling abilities -- at the rate thing are going, I'll give it 3-4 more years to become a law.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:53 am

Dmitri wrote:
Darthwing Teorist wrote:Luckily, I am buying a brand new car. Vroom! Vroom! ;)

Yeah, well, you just wait... They're all gonna have a mandatory GPS and remote vehicle-disabling abilities -- at the rate thing are going, I'll give it 3-4 more years to become a law.

Twas what I was thinking as well.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:13 am

My brand new car will probably be a VW. Which means that it will last for years, so I will not have to put anything disabling in it. By the time I will have to get another one, the revolution should be over already.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 am

I wonder how quick will "Aviaton Experts" point out that these bracelets can be taken off, or cut off, by "agressive hijackers" in a plane?
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:37 am

lol

just watched the video

what if the highly motivated religious militant (read as terrorist)

takes the bracelet off...

-loco-
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 am

xingyijuan wrote:I wonder how quick will "Aviaton Experts" point out that these bracelets can be taken off, or cut off, by "agressive hijackers" in a plane?

How do you cut them, if theoretically you don't have a knife? They can be made of very resilient plastic. Of course, every security measure can be worked around, but I oppose this shit because it's really over the top. If wanted a collar, I would have been a dog or a S&M.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 am

-nuke-
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 am

Well it's not going to be like a party bracelet I'm sure... More like a handcuff. They would look particularly good on all those 5-year-old potential terrorists.

Also, can anyone envision a malfunction in the transmitter that renders everyone on the plane unconscious? ;D

Question -- how would the air marshal know to trigger that particular bracelet? Wouldn't he have to enter some code? 'Cause if they're going to isolate the target by simply pointing at it, that would undoubtedly shock a few nearby passengers... Oh well, better than shooting them, right?

Fucking fear mongers.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:
xingyijuan wrote:I wonder how quick will "Aviaton Experts" point out that these bracelets can be taken off, or cut off, by "agressive hijackers" in a plane?

How do you cut them, if theoretically you don't have a knife? They can be made of very resilient plastic. Of course, every security measure can be worked around, but I oppose this shit because it's really over the top. If wanted a collar, I would have been a dog or a S&M.

You didn't watch the video that carefully, Theo. Notice that "the highly motivated religious militant" who was about to attack the flight-attendant in the demo carried a knife. But I understand your logic. It's their logic that don't really work. Their "Aviation Experts"(TM) are quickly point out that explosive detectors wouldn't have worked as a solution because "the highly motivated religious militant" didn't use explosives in the 9/11 attack, they also quickly point out that reinforced cockpit doors wouldn't work either because "the highly motivated religious militant" would use explosives to get them open... :o -loco-
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Other than finding a way to remove or short circuit the bracelet, the most obvious and dangerous scenario to me would be a terrorist commandeering the control unit which would have to be very accessible on the plane in order for a crew member to utilize it. That could negate any on board heroics by passengers. Also, unless there was a fail safe button to incapacitate all bracelet wearers, how likely in a rush attack by several terrorists would a crew member be able to identify and then selectively immobilize the attackers?
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic