From a Neijia masters bag of tricks

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

From a Neijia masters bag of tricks

Postby gosao on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:41 am

Don't know who this is just that I came across this surfing on Youku.

Looks to be a seminar type situation, but I don't know Mandarin so the beginning is just lecture followed by demo starting around 10mins. You guys can skip to that point to see the action.

Some really good stuff on here I think. The reactions of the students look very genuine with some guys being slammed on the floor and flying back sliding from the force. Notice the floor is very slippery but the master himself doesn't go back, only the students.

Last edited by gosao on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
gosao
Huajing

Re: From a Neijia masters bag of tricks

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 am

The reactions are genuine when the students provide good frames, especially in the arms, for the master to issue force upon and being compliant by "going with the force." But regardless of whether the students are overreatcing, I believe he does have some very nice IMA skills.

P.S. He also has a northern accent that sounds exactly like my late grandpa's. They must be from the same province.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby eastpaw on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:50 am

Hey, guys. That's Shi Chongying, Guo Shilei's teacher.
eastpaw
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 am

eastpaw wrote:Hey, guys. That's Shi Chongying, Guo Shilei's teacher.

tell us more,style ect.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby eastpaw on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:45 am

Ma Weiqi Bagua, Cheng Bagua, and Yang Taiji, basically, with training emphasis on Ma Bagua.

Guo Shilei (my teacher) has been discussed to death here on RSF, heh. The most recent thread on him was this one, I believe. Also, check my sig for our English language website. We've got something like 27 English-subbed vids - many of them teaching vids - on Youtube now.

There are very few vids of his teacher, Shi Chongying Shiye, because he's not fond of the limelight. This vid gosao found is the only "official" one out there that I know of. (Actually, this vid is 1/3 - there are 2 others on Youkou; it was a pretty long seminar.) He's in his 70s (was 70 or 71 in this vid) and isn't taking on new students anyway.

What else? We're setting up a seminar in Singapore for him (GSL, not SCY) in a couple of months, but I guess most of you aren't anywhere nearby anyway.
eastpaw
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:29 pm

eastpaw wrote:Ma Weiqi Bagua, Cheng Bagua, and Yang Taiji, basically, with training emphasis on Ma Bagua.

Guo Shilei (my teacher) has been discussed to death here on RSF, heh. The most recent thread on him was this one, I believe. Also, check my sig for our English language website. We've got something like 27 English-subbed vids - many of them teaching vids - on Youtube now.

There are very few vids of his teacher, Shi Chongying Shiye, because he's not fond of the limelight. This vid gosao found is the only "official" one out there that I know of. (Actually, this vid is 1/3 - there are 2 others on Youkou; it was a pretty long seminar.) He's in his 70s (was 70 or 71 in this vid) and isn't taking on new students anyway.

What else? We're setting up a seminar in Singapore for him (GSL, not SCY) in a couple of months, but I guess most of you aren't anywhere nearby anyway.

thank for the info,i like what your teacher does,just didnt remember the name.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:23 am

Eastpaw:

No offense to your master, but....

I feel strongly that in this kind of demo, the students are far, far too respectful. You'd get a much more interesting demo if they came at him with something approaching a realistic approach - a punch or kick that is actually on target (even if thrown at half speed or power) or a grab of the body or the clothing.

Instead, what we always seem to see are "punches" whose trajectories halt several inches short of the target, or students walking forward (from way out of range) and gently laying hands on the master's arms of chest, rather than attempting to grab body or clothes, which is what actually happens.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:04 am

I don't know how the video is framed, as I can't understand the teacher dialect, but I think one needs to keep in mind the context for what is being shown.

I'm pretty familiar with this type of work, and I wouldn't consider it applications training, or defense against a particular attack etc... The way I see this type of thing is a test of structure, playing with directional force etc... Being a demo, the students provide a structure for test, and of course if the students didn't, there would be a whole lot of other variables introduced, but that isn't the point of this type of testing IMO. I like it for what it is, one type of attribute testing that can translate into useful applications if applications and strategy are trained along side.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Just been checking out the Youtube page. looking at the palm changes which are similar, not the same to Chiao Chang Hungs, Ma Weiqi Bagua.

Re the video, I agree with Andy S, I have seen lots of this sort of demo and this sort of play is not difficult to do if people are being compliant but it is good to show how you can move a persons body, structure ( what Fubo said ) but With more resistance it would be very different from this.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:41 pm

ugh I hate this type of demo. but if he taught guo shi lei, then clearly he has the goods. this type of video makes us all look bad.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Fubo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 pm

nianfong wrote: this type of video makes us all look bad.

I'd agree with you if this was the extent of their combat training, but this seems like basic structure testing. Stance training also makes us look bad if that's all one can do, but we know there is use for it when taken in the right context.
Last edited by Fubo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 am

Fubo:

Fair points re your reply above. But even so: There are many training modules in IMA. The problem seems to be that - if YouTube clips are any indication - anything approaching realistic combative skills training/testing is way down on the priority list.

Let us join Master X as plans his YouTube marketing strategy. He knows clips are a good way to raise his visibility and cost very little. The question for him is, which of the five clips below should he prioritize.* (TEST FOR RSFers: SPOT THE ODD ONE OUT...)

(1) First, the "Introduction" lecture. Filmed in my PJs, in which I talk about my art and my lineage while attractive students perform basic moves in the background. I will wave my hands a bit and show photos of my master and my master's master to establish my credibility. Perhaps I will also say why everyone else is doing it wrong.

(2) The "Form Demonstration!" Aha! The core of CMA! This is what the punters want. I might add a weapons form too, just to show my range. Qigong too? Perhaps a snippet.

(3) "Application" demonstration. People are always talking about "applications" these days. Hmm. I think the best way to show this clearly is to have a student stand in front of my with his hand stuck out in the shape of a fist. I will then demonstrate, slowly and gently, how the form technique works.

(4) The all-important "Hopping 'n Jumping" demonstration: This is the one where I show my mastery of the IMA! I will have a few students gently approach me and place their palms on my arms, or perhaps my chest. When I brush them away, they will bounce backward for several meters, ideally with a hopping and/or jumping motion.

(5) Of course martial arts is about fighting, so I had better film a realistic "Combative" demonstration. I will have a couple of big students glove and armour up and attack me with lives strikes and grabs. I will deal with all this, using the core/basic skills and tactics that are representative of my art.

*Pls Note: I am talking about the vast majority of MA masters, not rare jewels like Su Dong-chen.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Return to Video Links