deerhorn knives

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: deerhorn knives

Postby ParryPerson on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:24 pm

Yes I noticed these a while ago. A little off topic but, how long does one train before learning a weapons form in bagua?

Also what do people think of the smaller size "imperial guard" knives? The application would be a lot different wouldn't it? Why sell these as "deerhorn knives?".

Amazing design and look, if even for art value.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Bodywork on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:49 pm

Stainless steel, with an even section thickness of 1/8" is not a good idea. He also doesn't mention Rockwell or differential hand tempering-thus I can only assume they are hardened and tempered as a unit piece. Then drawn as a unit back to a ductile state in keeping with the lower RC in-service abilities of stainless.
If form follows function in wepaonry as art-they are right up there with the "stainless steel highlander sword" wall hangers.
In short-I'd pass.
More on why stainless in servicable weaponry is not a good idea.
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread. ... Dan+HArden
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby ParryPerson on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Bodywork wrote:Stainless steel, with an even section thickness of 1/8" is not a good idea. He also doesn't mention Rockwell or differential hand tempering-thus I can only assume they are hardened and tempered as a unit piece. Then drawn as a unit back to a ductile state in keeping with the lower RC in-service abilities of stainless.
If form follows function in wepaonry as art-they are right up there with the "stainless steel highlander sword" wall hangers.
In short-I'd pass.

If this is all true, where is one to find good examples of deerhorn knives? Most of the others are wushu performance only aluminum type blades. I'm not trying to argue, I'm honestly curious.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Bodywork on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:59 pm

There is no argument worth the having.
You'd need to have them made. The steel type is a choice of the maker.
Bodywork

Postby Kurt Robbins on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:13 pm

I saw a pair that was brass knuckle size - those are the ones I want.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Buddy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:17 am

What Dan said. Stainless is crap for a real blade.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:21 am

You got that right.

Not the same weapon but the idea is the same:

Chris Fleming

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:28 am

Interesting that someone would have a whole site devoted to making and selling versions of a single, unique baguazhang weapon! (Doesn't seem to have the biggest market now...)

But what of the other weird bagua weapons? Would be nice to be able to buy those, too ;)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:46 am

ParryPerson wrote:Yes I noticed these a while ago. A little off topic but, how long does one train before learning a weapons form in bagua?

Also what do people think of the smaller size "imperial guard" knives? The application would be a lot different wouldn't it? Why sell these as "deerhorn knives?".

Amazing design and look, if even for art value.

It depends on your teacher. Most feel that you need to have a few years of foundational skills under your sash before you start learning something that is considered an extension of yourself.

Also the weapons use footwork and dragon body to make them the most effective so you need some serious basics training.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:45 pm

hey guys

hold on.. some stainless has outstandign performance depending on the quality of the heat treat.... but i noticed that on the new designs page the blades are carbon steel... which would be much better for resilience etc

eiher way i would rather get a knife maker to knock up a pair to my hand size etc

cheers

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Nice pieces! A bit pricey, but if weighted well, good buy!

As far as the debate many of you are heading into.... when the hell was the last time you used a Bagua weapon for real????? Who gives a rat's ass if it can hold an edge as well as something else!?!? Inch a little closer towards reality guys!
Jake
JAB

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 am

Interesting that someone would have a whole site devoted to making and selling versions of a single, unique baguazhang weapon! (Doesn't seem to have the biggest market now...)

There are any number of possible explanations. Ex:

1. He didn't like the DHK on the open market, so he bought the relatively cheap machines he would need to make his own out of SS.
2. Same as #1 but, he realized that since he put in the effort, other people might hae the same interest, and their buying his DHK would allow him to lower his initial costs, and possiblly develop new models.
3. Same as #1 and #2, but he also has an accountant who has told him that if he spends the money on making them just for himself, he's throwing the cash away, but if he sells them, his hobby is now a "business" and his hobby expenditures are now deductible as long as he has an expectation of making a profit. That would likely include --depending on the accnt and spin-- the cost of the machines, the raw materials, travel to find new designs, testing/cutting material and of course, potentially even the instruction in the use of the DHK.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Jake's right. Using a fnife will get you into real hot water, that said it might be better, in some cases, to get wet than dead. I like Cold Steel for edge but Kershaw for quick action.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:01 pm

I like my new folding hissatsu by Colombia River Knife. It has an opening assist that is very nice.

But being that I live in MA, I would rather hit someone and use my IP skills as bitch slapping someone is going to look better to a jury than stabbing someone.....
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan