Obama brings record crowd to hear him speak

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Obama brings record crowd to hear him speak

Postby steelincotton on Mon May 19, 2008 9:08 am

75,000 folks showed up to hear the new voice of hope, change, and inspiration in Oregon. Looks like a good year for the democrats!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/1 ... 02337.html
steelincotton
Huajing

Re: Obama brings record crowd to hear him speak

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 19, 2008 9:19 am

When I want my 4-year-old to eat something that he needs but doesn't like, I never ask "would you like a carrot?" He would of course say "no", and that's that.

Instead I ask, "Would you like one carrot or two?"

These elections are a lot like that. -argh- -dighole-
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Mon May 19, 2008 9:25 am

And if you're not voting for Obama but McSame/McBush, this is your alternative....

McCain's Voting Record: He Does Not Support Our Troops and Veterans

In mid 2007, Senator Reid noted that McCain missed 10 of the past 14 votes on Iraq. However, here is a summary of a dozen votes (two that he missed and ten that he voted against) with respect to Iraq, funding for veterans or for troops, including equipment and armor. I have also included other snippets related to the time period when the vote occurred.

September 2007: McCain voted against the Webb amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments. At the time, nearly 65% of people polled in a CNN poll indicted that "things are going either moderately badly or very badly in Iraq.

July 2007: McCain voted against a plan to drawdown troop levels in Iraq. At the time, an ABC poll found that 63% thought the invasion was not worth it, and a CBS News poll found that 72% of respondents wanted troops out within 2 years.

March 2007: McCain was too busy to vote on a bill that would require the start of a drawdown in troop levels within 120 days with a goal of withdrawing nearly all combat troops within one year. Around this time, an NBC News poll found that 55% of respondents indicated that the US goal of achieving victory in Iraq is not possible. This number has not moved significantly since then.

February 2007: For such a strong supporter of the escalation, McCain didn’t even bother to show up and vote against a resolution condemning it. However, at the time a CNN poll found that only 16% of respondents wanted to send more troops to Iraq (that number has since declined to around 10%), while 60% said that some or all should be withdrawn. This number has since gone up to around 70%.

June 2006: McCain voted against a resolution that Bush start withdrawing troops but with no timeline to do so.

May 2006: McCain voted against an amendment that would provide $20 million to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for health care facilities.

April 2006: McCain was one of only 13 Senators to vote against $430,000,000 for the Department of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans.

March 2006: McCain voted against increasing Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes.

March 2004: McCain once again voted for abusive tax loopholes over veterans when he voted against creating a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans' medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating abusive tax loopholes. Jeez, McCain really loves those tax loopholes for corporations, since he voted for them over our veterans' needs.

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

So there it is. John McCain is yet another republican former military veteran who likes to talk a big game when it comes to having the support of the military. Yet, time and time again, he has gone out of his way to vote against the needs of those who are serving in our military. If he can’t even see his way to actually doing what the troops want, or what the veterans need, and he doesn’t have the support of veterans, then how can he be a credible commander in chief?
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby MikeC on Mon May 19, 2008 4:48 pm

steelincotton wrote:75,000 folks showed up to hear the new voice of hope, change, and inspiration in Oregon. Looks like a good year for the democrats!

At least until November.
MikeC

Postby Mike Strong on Mon May 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Only 75,000 ? In Oregon ?

Perhaps the empty rhetoric of Hope, Change, and Yes WE Can is wearing thin.

75,000? I woold think he could get at least a Million hippies to come out chanting, " hey hay, ho ho, we want to live on the dole, hey hey, ho ho, we want to live on the dole".

Man, I hope some of you at least start entertaining the chance that Obama could lose, ...

... otherwise you'll be spitting up blood when McCain is declared the winner.

I'm just sayin'
Mike Strong

Postby Steve James on Mon May 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Hmm, that 75,000 was about 50,000 more than John Kerry pulled for the same event when he ran --and Kerry even brought Bon Jovi.

Hey, it's true that it's a horse race. But, I distinctinctly remember people saying that Obama had no chance --and that Hillary had no chance --and that McCain had no chance. In fact, every one who is expressing any kind of certainty now --about who will win-- is just blowing in the wind as much now as they were then.

If anything can happen, then that's the situation. Hey, if Robert Byrd, former Klan member and longest serving US Senator, can come out in support of Barack Obama (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/05/1 ... ses-obama/) then any thing can happen.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Mon May 19, 2008 6:25 pm

I will say it plainly. Obama has no chance. Not gonna happen, no way, no how. McCain by default. Obama aint gonna put the Clintons on the ticket and it's the only way he has a prayer. What does that say for his candidacy? The dems are eating their own and I LOVE IT.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon May 19, 2008 7:00 pm

Buddy wrote:I will say it plainly. Obama has no chance. Not gonna happen, no way, no how.

Why not? But, why is it that before the primaries all the Republican pundits were praying for Hillary? Were people really going to vote for Hillary, the Clinton Democrat?

Honestly, if I didn't hear people bring up the Republican V. Democrat stuff, I'd be more likely to believe that it had anything to do with political policy. But, I don't think that many people believe that it has anything to do with it at all. McCain has never been considered a good representative of the Republican Party. So, why people see it as a Rep v Dem contest is a bit strange.

I'd think a proper "by default" alternative would logically be a third-party candidate. That, I would understand. Iinm, there's already at least one "Republican" who is running that way.

Anyway, none of the 3 candidates is that far apart politically to make a difference in the day-to-day lives of most Americans. My life has never changed because of a presidential election. They've all been survivable. I can understand the "better the Devil you know" argument. However, I remember what happened when Reagan told the country, "If your life has gotten better in the last 4 year, vote for the present administration." I understood that logic, too. The thing is, I still understand it.

Well, as far as Obama having a chance, okay, I never dreamed that anyone like him --I mean saying the things he does-- would ever be elected president, at least not in my lifetime. But, from teh historical perspective, Obama has won already by being a serious contender. It doesn't really matter whether he (or Hillary) wins the election, utlimately. And, if McCain wins, good on him. I always dreamed of seeing a Vietnam vet get elected President. I remember when one could barely avoid being spit on.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby nready on Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm

What is Obama saying that is so different than all the other candidates? I still have no idea what the new politics is in Obama's case. I have not heard him say anything that is new to the idea of being a candidate in the interview for a job. Record there was a record set by some past Democrat in Oregon? Interesting did not know there was a record, what you can learn at the emptyflower.

He touches on the idea of stopping the lobbyist, so does the clintons and so does mccain.
The idea of socialized medicine has been around sense the 1950 if I remember correctly.
The idea of how to have an effect on the fed or the people involved he has not said what he will do different.
I have yet to hear any real ideas from any of the candidates.

When you read there sites they do not even have enough information for me to pick which is that much different from the other.

This election is being pushed by the media and they are pushing the race and the evil woman arguments and the old codger idea. When the dam media can stop pushing these ideas you will stop hearing of the divisive mindset of what is happening.

That is the one area when faced with Americas great flaw is we are controlled by the medias ignorance of labeling. Hell, it even enlarges the negatives and demoralizes the moral of people.
nready
Santi

Postby steelincotton on Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 am

Mike Strong wrote:
Man, I hope some of you at least start entertaining the chance that Obama could lose, ...

I'm just sayin'

Believe me Mr Strong, while I strongly see Obama as a clear step in the right direction for our country, I'm still not sure the racist (West Virginia, Kentucky) hate and fear mongers won't get thier way. There is a very dubious DNC meeting coming up at the end of the month to deal with Michigan and Florida, and I'm a bit skeptical over the whole thing. I think the backroom dealings and shady politics we have are strongly in play. Hillary is doing everything she can to STEAL it, and I think she has a good shot to get her way.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby nready on Tue May 20, 2008 10:48 am

steelincotton wrote:
Mike Strong wrote:

I'm just sayin'

There is a very dubious DNC meeting coming up at the end of the month to deal with Michigan and Florida, and I'm a bit skeptical over the whole thing. I think the back-room dealings and shady politics we have are strongly in play. Hillary is doing everything she can to STEAL it, and I think she has a good shot to get her way.
I personally think the delegates and the votes from Florida an Michigan should go to Hillary. From the look of the math it would not help her in the delegate situation. I agree that it will continue, even if Obama gets elected back room money changing hands invisible to are eyes. They will get the results they pay for and any backers of any of the candidates will get there influence in first.

I still have not heard Obama's a change in politics is. Regardless which of the three current candidate goes to the white house there will be little change from what is currently happening. The jobs have left are country for good, they are not coming back regardless whom gets the position.

I don't think Obama will lose the election for the DNC.
nready
Santi

Postby Steve James on Tue May 20, 2008 11:11 am

As far as a change, one thing he's said is that we're all in this as Americans. Yeah, should be obvious; but, instead, many people are still talking in terms of Dems and Repubs, liberals and conservatives, whites and others. Obama doesn't --and this is the first time it's happened in my life-- have one speech for one color of voters and another speech for another color.

I'm not naive enough to believe that anyone can unite people who don't want to be united. Duh. That's like a marriage. However, Julie Nixon and Caroline Kennedy both support Obama. Even former KKK members (currently in the Senate) have given him the nod. So, I ask myself, who has a better chance to unify. Ok, I'm not saying that unity is good --cause then I'll be called a collectivist. But, it sure sounds more American than most of the garbage I've heard from pols in a long, long time. Though, I do agree that "politically", Obama is definitely a "politician."

As far as Michigan and Florida, hey, "they" (the Democratic Parties) of each state decided to go against the will of the National Party by having their elections early. They were told that their votes would not count and that they might not be seated at the convention; but they did it anyway. Because all the nominees were told that these primaries wouldn't count, Obama and others didn't campaign there. When Hillary was ahead, and presumed to be the winner --she led by over 100 superdelegates and was ahead in delegate-- she said it was ok. Now that she's behind, she wants the votes counted.

There are some suggestions. One, that there is a do-over --but that would cost the taxpayers (or the party) a lot of money. They could count the delegates as they are. Or, they can divide the delegates down the middle between the two candidates and seat all of them at the convention. Imo, the latter is the most likely. Of course, if that happens, then next election the states will go for themselves to try to get publicity.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Tue May 20, 2008 11:59 am

I personally think the delegates and the votes from Florida an Michigan should go to Hillary. From the look of the math it would not help her in the delegate situation.

I agree with alot of what you say, especially about our jobs leaving this country and they are NOT coming back. We are in big trouble in the US, and we haven't seen the worst of it yet. Soon, we'll be slaves for Saudia Arabia and China if we keep on the course we are on.

Regarding Michigan and Florida, I hope you realize that Obama was NOT on the ballot in Michigan?

He was following the party rules, and did not participate because the DNC laid down that rule.

Even after that fact, Obama offered to split 60/40 delegates to Clinton, and she still turned him down!

Obama wasn't even on the ticket, followed their own parties rules and regulations, he still offers to give Hillary the majority of delegates and she says NO. That bitch! She wants EVERYTHING, but sorry honey, you just can't have it. Florida is another matter, which will be settled in the upcoming backroom meeting at the end of the month.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby qiphlow on Tue May 20, 2008 2:30 pm

of the 3 major candidates that are out there, obama is the one i would vote for if the election was today. unfortunately, i think the folks who are involved in these "backroom meetings" will decide that clinton will best protect the interests of the power elite for the next four to eight years will be the democratic presidential candidate for the upcoming election. she's pretty well connected.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 pm

"Believe me Mr Strong, while I strongly see Obama as a clear step in the right direction for our country, I'm still not sure the racist (West Virginia, Kentucky) hate and fear mongers won't get thier way."

C'mon. This is some stupid hyperbole. You going to paint two entire states with this ridiculously broad brush?

Steve,
While I agree Obama has been impressive. Impressive doesn't equate to winner in this election. Clinton has done McCain's dirty work for him. And the liberal press is very quick to point out that Clinton voters won't vote for Obama. Whether or not that is actually true, and I'm not completely convinced it is, millions will stay home thinking it is (IMO).
Buddy
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic