Obama brings record crowd to hear him speak

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Obama brings record crowd to hear him speak

Postby Steve James on Tue May 20, 2008 5:45 pm

Hey Buddy,
I'm not saying that Obama is going to win, either the nomination or the election. I do think there are people who would never vote for Obama. The difference is that I think the people who fall into that category would never vote for Hillary, either. There may be some who are voting for Hillary for other than political reasons. As I've said, I'd understand women voting for Hillary based solely on her sex.

But, here's the thing. I don't think there are many people in this country who are voting for Hillary because she's white. There may be some, though, who will vote against Obama because he's not. Honestly, whether people mean it or not, that's the way the phrase "McCain by default" sounds to many people. I.e., he's the only white candidate left.

However, call me an idealist, but I think there are lots of reasons to disbelieve that expectation. I think that white Americans are, today, bigger than that, in general, and especially at that high a political level. If a black man can be the mayor of an almost all white town in the South, then maybe we should stop thinking like it's the bus boycott era. Perhaps the most significant thing that the Obama campaign (not the man) have accomplished is the registration of a record number of new (D) voters. These are young people who grew up watching the Planeteers and Power Rangers. Many of them weren't even born in 1980. Some weren't born in 1990. Moreover, even their parents would vote for Colin Powell --but not Alan Keyes.

These are just the preliminaries; the main event is a long way off. We'll have to wait and see.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Tue May 20, 2008 5:57 pm

us typical white people wont vote for him, also my people down south need their guns and bibles for comfort because they are unhappy, so they wont vote for him either

as his wife said, if he loses, its only because of racism, but she wasnt thinking that they are the ones making racist comments that will lose it for them

hes such an arrogant dude, even yesterday saying he wont tolerate it when people criticize his wife, etc, well then dont have your wife on the platform doing speeches, shes on the palying field, she is fair game! he is very arrogant,

But, here's the thing. I don't think there are many people in this country who are voting for Hillary because she's white. There may be some, though, who will vote against Obama because he's not.

dont you think on their other hand, theres a major number of people voting for obama simply because he is black? I know many people doin this, who dont know what each candidate stands for, but are votin for him.
Last edited by beegs on Tue May 20, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue May 20, 2008 6:24 pm

beegs wrote:us typical white people wont vote for him, also my people down south need their guns and bibles for comfort because they are unhappy, so they wont vote for him either

Hmm, what does that make all the white voters who have voted for him already? Are they "atypical" because they would vote for him?

{quote]as his wife said, if he loses, its only because of racism, but she wasnt thinking that they are the ones making racist comments that will lose it for them[/quote]

So, typical white people won't vote for him because he's a racist. Besides, I'll repeat this later, but he's as white as anyone who's parent is white. Right?

hes such an arrogant dude, even yesterday saying he wont tolerate it when people criticize his wife, etc, well then dont have your wife on the platform doing speeches, shes on the palying field, she is fair game! he is very arrogant,

Well, I won't fault any many for standing up for his wife. If he didn't, people'd say he had no balls. Point taken, though, he's arrogant. Personally, I think you have to be arrogant to think you can run the US. (But, this is funny. Ok, McCain's not arrogant, and he's not a twp. He's got a few million in the bank).

But, here's the thing. I don't think there are many people in this country who are voting for Hillary because she's white. There may be some, though, who will vote against Obama because he's not.

dont you think on their other hand, theres a major number of people voting for obama simply because he is black? I know many people doin this, who dont know what each candidate stands for, but are votin for him.

You're kiddin' right? Black people have voted for white people since they've been able to vote. If they had the chance to vote for a black person, and did it, do you think that is the same as a white person refusing to vote for a black person? But, don't be silly. Both McCain and Hillary have lots of black supporters. So, yeah, there are some people who will vote for Obama "just" because he's black. Call 'em the "racists." And, then there are those who won't vote for him "just" because he's black. Well, the question is "how many of them are like that?" You think they're typical, apparently.
I respectfully disagree. But, nothing, not even assassination, would surprise me.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Tue May 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Steve,
I don't think he won't get elected (I fully expect him to get the nomination, he deserves it) because he's black. I agree with you that a black man could get elected. And I don't care how my pronouncement about McCain sounds, I've long since stopped caring about my reputation. I say McCain by default only because I believe it to be true. I think the Clintons don't care what happens to the party. I think they are sociopaths. I think they will be happy when Obama loses. And he will because of who he will (has been) be connected to. And I just don't think our country is as liberal as Mr. Obama is.
Further, I think McCain is positioning himself (as he always has been) as a moderate. He will pick up the Clinton vote. His problem is...will the right support him. They might stay home thinking it's a lock against Obama.

I'll repeat, I'm voting for neither. I'll vote for the Libertarian Party (even though we differ on several topics). If it takes away votes from Mr. McCain (even though I'd hate the idea of the Dems winning), so be it.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue May 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Yo Buddy, I think you're right that McCain will position himself as a moderate. I'm hoping you're wrong about the Clintons. Buut, it woudn't surprise me in the least if they turned into Obama's arch-enemies. It's politics.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Wed May 21, 2008 9:48 am

Buddy wrote:"Believe me Mr Strong, while I strongly see Obama as a clear step in the right direction for our country, I'm still not sure the racist (West Virginia, Kentucky) hate and fear mongers won't get thier way."

C'mon. This is some stupid hyperbole. You going to paint two entire states with this ridiculously broad brush?

Actually, I will. I'm not sure if you've been following the polling data, specifically the exit polls, but 1 out of 4 people said blantanly that they were voting for the "white" person on the ticket. I'm talking about Kentucky here.

I understand your point sir, and of course not everyone who lives in W Va or Kentucky is racist, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think that 25% in those states (and I believe it's much higher particularly in Kentucky and W Va) have strong racial beliefs (anti-black) based on their low education and cultural backgrounds.

It's funny how the media skirts around this issue. Case and point: Obama has done extremely well with white voters in "most" of the mostly white states like in Indiana, Iowa, Oregon, Virginia, Kansas, Missouri, etc. but where has he suffered the largest defeats? In Appalachia, where the lowest incomes and education in the entire USA live (there are stats to back this up). And, although Bill Clinton won in Kentucky / W Va. years ago, those states "usually" vote republican (which makes no sense to me, but it certainly says something about the "lack of education" divide there), but from what I've heard and read the good old boy, redneck hillbilly philosophy is alive and well in that part of the country. Again, I understand that there are intellectual and educated folks there as well, but that certainly is NOT the norm there. The average medium income in Kentucky is less than 10 grand a year according to CNN last night. Stupid is as stupid does, so they usually vote republican since it's against poor people's best interests. < no offense repubicans, I'm referring to poor people voting for a party that only cares about corporations and not people's lives >

It makes sense to me anyway. If not, just listen to Kentucky pollsters. Hell, in West Virginia, Obama's campaigners were chased, threatened, and yelled at with strong racial words which I don't need to repeat here. Those two states are the only states where that has happened, so again, I draw my conclusions by the facts and the figures.

Truthfully, I wish it weren't true, but by all accounts racism is alive and well in the USA, but moreso in those Appalachia sectors.
Last edited by steelincotton on Wed May 21, 2008 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby beegs on Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 pm

steve- the "typical white people" comment i made was sarcasm, as obama stated the situation with his grandma or whatever, and labeled the white people in his story, "typical white people" that in my opinion is a racist comment.

if anyone of the white politicians said "typical black people" shit wouldnt die down to easy

as for who votes for him, he kinda partialy has an easy pass as well as facing the drawbacks you mentioned.

with Iraq, many people just want democrats back in, so Obama gets votes for that as well,so he gets alot of black votes, and a ton of unhappy with the war white folks.

as for hillary- dont like her either
mcain- creepy lookin dude, im afraid he may shed his skin in office, and show us he has a tail,and is from another planet, then we are all screwed.

I still say mcain by default though.
beegs
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic