please read: server migration in progress

Official postings from the admins and moderators. Report bugs and make forum improvement requests here as well.

Re: please read: server migration in progress

Postby Dmitri on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:43 am

Michael wrote:...problem Dmitri reported

...exactly a week ago, and it's still there.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 pm

The "stay logged on" or "log on automatically" features don't work but, like RSF itself, they're free.

Thanks for the free work, Kelly. The blips are just minor inconveniences.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Steve James wrote:The "stay logged on" or "log on automatically" features don't work but, like RSF itself, they're free.

Thanks for the free work, Kelly. The blips are just minor inconveniences.

That's one way to look at it. Another viewpoint is that this a minor problem that could indicate a more serious one is developing or could potentially occur unrelated to this.

Based on the almost total lack of feedback and response from the admins and techs over the past five years, it seems to me there is something wrong, and giving thanks or offering help, money, etc., is getting zero response. The possible reasons for this are quite few and fairly obvious.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 pm

I don't want to leave something hanging in the air about something being obvious. Because of the silence from the admin side, there is no other way to bring this up. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, so that leaves me with only basing my opinion on the results.

Exactly what I mean is that RSF needs new leadership and also new technical support. This is very obvious to me. I'm sure there are a few people who've been here a while and who are appropriate to take over, as well as motivated, with the time, willingness and resources to do the job.

There was one failed transition in 2008 because of the scam and the recovery a year later was, for some reason, interrupted by the departure of admin who seemed to be putting the most energy into the site.

Stop hanging on if you aren't in the correct position to do the job and choose someone new.
Last edited by Michael on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 am

If you don't like it you always have a home over at EF.net.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 am

Tom, I doubt very much there is any lasting definition of democracy we could point to and no one here, certainly not me, has ever suggested this is supposed to be a democracy or anything similar. It appears the only way to get any feedback from you, Shawn, or Kelley is to make these embarrassingly and unnecessarily critical posts. Is the only way to get you to talk is for me to be the bad guy, the "ungrateful" forum member, who should just love it or leave it as Shawn suggests? That's rhetorical, BTW.

There were some indications offered in connection for soliciting donations four to five years ago of increasing communication in order to avoid problems that happened in the past that threatened the continued existence of the site, in order to prevent losing valuable data, posts, etc., and that's what I'm talking about. Why do I need to do this in PM? I thought that would be even more confusing with different people getting different answers from different admins, whereas occasional status information about the forum is of interest to more members than just me.

In case you haven't noticed, Kelley pretty much refuses to communicate about or respond to specific questions about technical problems and his lack of advance communication about things like server moves and his avoidance of dealing with other small problems, such as double posts, where he usually blames everything on whoever's complaining, no matter how many people or how spread around the globe they are, and this could indicate something more from a technical standpoint. It raises my eyebrows.

A very small amount of communication could resolve this, but he has given no response about the login issue, nor made any attempt to communicate with me or Dmitri regarding troubleshooting. That said, it's not fair to blame Kelley for lack of communication because compared to the other admins, he's still by far the most vocal about forum management.

What do you suggest? I'm going to post more info. about the problems I'm having logging in, so I hope Kelley will take some interest.
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 am

Kelley, since the server move, I can not access http://rumsoakedfist.org/index.php. If I try, I get an "Access denied" message from rumsoakedfist.org, which almost certainly is coming from a rule created by the forum. Could be coming from its host server, host firewall, or other layer on that end.

I use a VPN that has servers all over the world. I have tried using a variety of these servers and get the same "Access denied" message no matter which one I use, and they all have different IP addresses. However, there is one exception, a new server just established, from which I can access RSF normally as I did before the server move. The problem is that if I use this VPN server, I have other problems on other sites, such as google.

A working theory is that there is a server, firewall, router, or more likely, and RSF forum rule that is blocking many of the IP addresses of my and/or other VPN's because of a generalized black list for spam or something like that, but the list doesn't include my VPN's newest server. Is there such a block on RSF or its server? If so, can the rule have an exception for a handful of VPN server's IP addresses that I use?
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Tom wrote: ;D

;D :D ;)
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 am

Last edited by Michael on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

Michael

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:54 am

I still cannot login permanently, was so convenient, now I need to login each time I visit. Any change on it's way?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 pm

I used to have a boss who turned off the air conditioning in the summer time so she could skim facilities budget into her monthly bonus. Everybody else was sweating and suffering, including the customers at the Kinko's, but all she could do was smile.

In all my years online and in information technology, I have never seen such an example of technical incompetence and unresponsiveness to requests.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:51 pm

MonkeyKing wrote:Hello fellow martial artist,

I've finally went the extra mile and contacted an admin thru email to have my account activated after trying to make at least two accounts over the past two years that never were activated.

Do you think this is the only one? It's been about four years of unresponsive admins and tech support here.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:40 pm

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!

;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Vive la revolucion!
Michael

Previous