Qi Gong teaching email scam attempt

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Qi Gong teaching email scam attempt

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Thu May 08, 2014 3:05 am

I am used to getting spam with Phishing emails - ones that attempt to draw out personal details such as phone number, bank account number, address, etc. Today I got this one and it was quite frightening. The reason this one was different is that it had specifically targeted me as a martial arts teacher. All the rest are obvious silly frauds by people who cannot use English well. This one was an attempt by a person who:

1. Could use English to a much better extent. With a few minor fixes his English would have sounded legit.

2. Highly likely knew that I was a martial arts teacher somehow (and not by the 'advert' he mentioned, since there isn't one for me in English).

Here's the content:

"Hello,

I'm Dr. Phillip Morris, During my search for a lesson teacher that would help in taking my son (Kenneth).
During is stay in your location. I found your advert and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area I'm seeking for him. My son would be coming to your city before the end of this month for a period of time with his friend,
I'll like to know if you can help in taking him for the lesson? just to keep him busy and refresh. Kenneth is 14 years old, So kindly let me know your charges per hour/lesson in order for me to arrange for his payment before he travels down to for the lessons to commence.

He will be staying there for one month.

Please Reply back on:

(1). Your charges per 1 hour (3 times a week for 1 Months):starting from 15th May until 15th June 2014

(2) Total Cost For 12 class/12 hours lessons in 1 month

(3). The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week:

Well am very happy that i see you as my son tutor and about your years of Experience there is no problem about the lessons, My son will be coming with his caregiver.
So there is no problem for the lesson to commence by next week, my son caregiver will be bringing him to your location for the lessons and you can teach him anywhere around you including the Library or your home if that is okay by you so i will like you to teach my son the best of you when he get to the city for the lessons.
I will like you to email me with your schedule for the lessons, I will like you to email me with the name on the check and Full mailing address where the check will be mailed to and including your Home and Cell phone number for my attorney to issue out a check to your before leaving the the state, by this week,
I will be awaiting to read from you soon.

Best Wishes.
Dr. Phillip Morris."
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Qi Gong teaching email scam attempt

Postby Franklin on Thu May 08, 2014 3:16 am

that's some old stuff..

i received many similar emails some years ago
strange stuff...
asking about lessons for their kid...
one telling me that their kid will attend university in my area (not likely)
one saying something about they just want to send the kid from a overseas to come study with me... WTF
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Lu da on Fri May 09, 2014 5:45 am

I didn't read any specific type of instruction mentioned. It seems rather generic and is geared toward the person who may teach any subject. I assume the author would discuss fees and then send you a bogus check with a quick follow up that he sent you too much and request that you western union him the excess back. It's an old scam with the same variables you find in most of them. The target is someone who needs money (starving teacher) and it speaks to pathos.

Don't worry Jonathan, nobody is targeting you specifically. If you want to learn more about these people or if you want a very good laugh go to www.419eater.com.
Lu da
Anjing

Postby Mr_Wood on Fri May 09, 2014 6:42 am

seems fairly standard, non specific, email phishing/ spam to me.

where does it mention anything about martial arts, qi gong or anything that could be thought as of specifically targeted towards you ?

sure your not just paranoid jonathan ?

(pretty sure this is OTT aswell)
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Fri May 09, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 am

Yeah sorry, accidentally put this here instead of on the OT forum.

I suspect I've been getting more of these due to shopping on aliexpress.com (a website I'm generally very pleased with). I've been marking similar phishing emails as spam and reporting them, but the flood continues =\

You're right, it might be a coincidence.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri May 09, 2014 10:52 am

Had a similar one in NY a few months ago-I pretty much ignore and delete or pass on to AOL 'abuse' if I am not familiar with the email. Had a few lately from someone using a friends name but wrong e mail address, an AOL hacker. Had a couple a while ago from friends saying they were in London and needed cash-somebody hacked their mail
KEND
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm

These come from Internet cafes in Lagos, Nigeria and Kinshasa, Zaire. Huge teams working for an overlord send them out and if they hit 2%, they're doing well. The authorities have a number attached to the scam (a number I can't remember). It's something like "427 Scheme", but I can't remember what the number refers to.

In the early days, I got one of these, supposedly from England (although the English was terrible). A father was concerned about his young son's depression in the aftermath of his beloved mother's early death. He chose me as the yoga master with whom he should study privately 3X a week for two months. He asked for a quote for the whole package. I gave it to him. A week later, a Thomas Cook cashier's cheque for 10X the amount quoted arrived. I still have it as a keepsake. I contacted the grieving father and he told me to just go ahead and deposit it and then wire him the overage. I told him I'd rather send him a check. He gave me an address in London, then Copenhagen. Getting suspiciouser and suspiciouser, I told him that currency laws prohibited me from sending the money out of the country. He gave me an address in Michigan.

I took the cheque to Thomas Cook (remember them?) in Costa Mesa and they told me the C.C. was a pretty good counterfeit and that a lot of people had been hammered by depositing these into their accounts and then wiring the overage to bank accounts before the cheque bounces. I sent a mock sympathetic, satirical e-mail to Dad and, for some reason, never heard back from him.

Every time I got one of these, I had loads of fun responding to them. Then, they all stopped.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon May 12, 2014 6:41 am

Phillip Morris, lol, the tobacco company.
Michael

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 am

jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Tue May 13, 2014 8:38 am

Here's another one that seems to be doing he rounds, MAists must be considered vulnerable :)

Steve The Following Was Posted About You Online
In seconds view the results - Go Here

Potentially negative events from your past may have been released and its suggested you verify it (Tuesday) - 05-13

steve
It may seem crazy to think that everyone (including your family, friends, and boss) have access to information you never wanted going public.

Future opportunities for your family and career could be at risk.

Confirm all this information and more
(I won't give you the link as it may contain harmful malware)

If you rather not hear more about this then tell us now A letter may also be written to ==538-West-21st Street_#97518_Houston_Texas/77008-3642

You may also select this page > ********* and we will completely stop sending you further correspondence.

(845_North/front_Street/west/grand/island/ne_68801-4740<)br>

If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan